Is the #44 only retired in football? | Syracusefan.com

Is the #44 only retired in football?

It's the only number that's retired at SU, period. All other retirements are merely jerseys, not numbers.

Many (most) here, would like to see the #44 football jersey be treated the same way. This poster subscribes to that sentiment as well. It would be great to see other SU running backs carry on the legacy.

All4SU said:
When the only people wearing 44 are fat guys in the stands, we have a problem.

I'll have you know, I wear one a weigh in at a whopping 160 lbs ;)

Can a player on the basketball team wear 44? I'm surprised I haven't seen that number at all. It's usually a pretty popular number.

Can a player on the basketball team wear 44? I'm surprised I haven't seen that number at all. It's usually a pretty popular number.

Technically, yes, but it won't happen for any of the retired jerseys we have hanging from the rafters.

No 44s since Winfred Walton (technically). And #31 has not been issued in over 20 years, I think. And finally, no 15s since Carmelo.

Technically, yes, but it won't happen for any of the retired jerseys we have hanging from the rafters.
No 44s since Winfred Walton (technically). And #31 has not been issued in over 20 years, I think. And finally, no 15s since Carmelo.

I think they'll issue any jersey other than the initial three that were retired. Anthony Harris got the last #31, then they retired it for good a couple years later. Can't remember the last #22. And #8's off the table either way.

They seem happy to allow kids to wear numbers that have been honored post-2003 - Triche with Sherm's jersey and Wesley Johnson with Seikaly's. Guess no one's pushed to wear #44.

As for lacrosse, I'm hoping that Ira Vanderpool's number will be retired any day now.

The numbers are not retired. No one has worn 44 in basketball since john Wallace. Coleman before him. Dan Shayes before him.
But someone could.

Triche switched to 20 after finding out he could still wear a "retired" jerseys number.

Did josh wright wear 30 before or after Owens' jersey went up?

Just examples

Thanks for the answers guys - I appreciate it! I want to see the number come back as well. Still think it was a terrible decision to retire it. Hope some great running back wears it again and some great power forward on the basketball team. Let's Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom