Is the program's depth an issue? | Syracusefan.com

Is the program's depth an issue?

SU94

Starter
Fair question in lieu of the loss at Clemson, but honestly, I would say that it is not.
I see the depth beginning to assert itself and that is why we have a fair chance for this to NOT be like the aftermath of 2018 (I am a bit worried about the offensive line next year). We've lost so many frontline players like Thompson, I.Jones, Lockett, Jaquez, Elmore and yet we played Clemson on the road into the final minute.

And we still have work to do -- cannot let up -- with that depth and development, especially at OL, DT, WR and TE. But overall, I have been pleased and generally impressed.

(I am a bit worried about the offensive line next year).
I think everyone is. We lose our one really good LT leaving behind a bunch of guys who have not graded out well in PFF.

Cruz looks to be a baller. But beyond him??

Knowing how much Dino rides with the hippos, it could dampen expectations next year.

Overhaul wideout aside from OG and Damien.

Fair question in lieu of the loss at Clemson, but honestly, I would say that it is not.
I see the depth beginning to assert itself and that is why we have a fair chance for this to NOT be like the aftermath of 2018 (I am a bit worried about the offensive line next year). We've lost so many frontline players like Thompson, I.Jones, Lockett, Jaquez, Elmore and yet we played Clemson on the road into the final minute.

And we still have work to do -- cannot let up -- with that depth and development, especially at OL, DT, WR and TE. But overall, I have been pleased and generally impressed.
True. Depth has improved tremendously. Who knew we would need 4 starter ready nose guards lol. Darton still impresses me.

I think everyone is. We lose our one really good LT leaving behind a bunch of guys who have not graded out well in PFF.

Knowing how much Dino rides with the hippos, it could dampen expectations next year.
No one is expecting 10 wins mininum. Moving forward a good season has to be 6-6 in season

I guess we need more RB’s.

The defense’s depth is outstanding. Keep it up.
Yeah the depth issues are on the offense, that is what needs to be addressed in the portal in the off-season. We do that and next year will be a good one, can’t have 2019 again. Shudder

Well we should have at least 5 OL who have played and started next year minus any portal add ons. We don’t lose many offensive starters iirc

At this point, across the board, they need to identify players who have tapped out and have the talk with them. Hit the portal. We're getting to a level now where you can't afford to carry dead weight. Harsh but true IMO.

This year we feel deep on defense. Deep compared to our usual roster, but still probably not quite where we need to be.
Look...when you are non factory school, who has trouble recruiting, firing a coach every 4 years is a sure fire way to ensure you will not build depth.
Dino has his flaws, but sticking with him this long is starting to pay dividends in the depth department.

You can count on injuries. Unlike any other sport, depth separates the winners from the also rans.

Nice post. Your second sentence really is the main point of this season for me. We all worried about the Dline and even with the loss of one of the starters we have been fine. Backers go down and someone steps up.
That's why I am not sweating next tears Oline. Other than Bergeron there are no real standouts (and our center can't stop bobbing his head). I am betting that Schmidt will have an even better more disciplined group than this one.

It is easy to forget that this is Anae 1.0. Everyone will be better next year.

Portal must in order.

WR, OL, CB, RB
OL, OL OL
I think we will get help with RB and WR talent in this year's incoming class. Coach Johnson has the speedster from Kansan Bryce Cohoon 6'3 185 lbs. Could be the deep threat we are needing. Ike Daniel's the VA running back looks like the real deal.

OL, OL OL
I think we will get help with RB and WR talent in this year's incoming class. Coach Johnson has the speedster from Kansan Bryce Cohoon 6'3 185 lbs. Could be the deep threat we are needing. Ike Daniel's the VA running back looks like the real deal.
At WR need a somewhat proven player, can't go into next season hoping a freshman, or current roster player steps up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom