Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Meaningless. Ville was on probation.
Didn't one of the recorded phone calls from the Ville investigation have Pitino (or some other Ville coach) saying "we have to be careful because the NCAA is watching"?

Programs probably know what they can get away with if the NCAA is involved - I have a feeling the FBI is a whole different animal.

I would be careful asserting there are black and white answers here (cheaters vs non-cheaters). I don't think you, RF20444, are, but the general "you".

I think the joke that has been high level D1 basketball in terms of NCAA rules adherence is finally unraveling. I think it's just where your team lands on the scale and who was caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

I love Syracuse basketball and football. But I've soured so much on college sports (especially college basketball) because the NCAA is just a joke of an institution (and the bball isn't all that great, tbh).

From the article:
So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

BTW, if we're on the list, this should be obvious, but JB has to be gone immediately. I would think with the NCAA all over us for so long that this would have already broke, however.

I'm not gonna lie - this made me laugh for a second. Could you imagine the top 50 programs in America all firing their coach? All you'd have to do is assign an America East coach to each ACC program because that's pretty much what would happen. (I assume at all dirty programs the assistants also have dirt on their hands)

Any chance Nike was paying some kids/parents on our behalf? If this is a widespread practice especially among P5 conferences it's possible though I would think most of the $$ went to top 30 rated kids-- and we get pretty few of those types.

Any chance Nike was paying some kids/parents on our behalf? If this is a widespread practice especially among P5 conferences it's possible though I would think most of the $$ went to top 30 rated kids-- and we get pretty few of those types.

Here is what I guess and is what I've considered NCAA to be: an off the books, professional minor league system.

I don't think it's *if* you cheated, but how much and how well.

I've just stopped pretending that the "student-athlete" thing matters.

So is Marvin Bagley really hurt or is Duke holding him out for other reasons?

Mark Schlabach‏Verified account @Mark_Schlabach
Sources tell ESPN as many as 3 dozen Division I basketball programs could face NCAA penalties once evidence of FBI probe is public. "It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top. It's the teams that are already there."

Let's see if the NCAA has the cojones to actually do anything about it. Let's just say a silent prayer that Cuse is not involved.
You shouldn’t wish for this shoe drop. SU is most assuredly implicated in some way if it’s over 50 major programs.

JB doesn’t play this game. Sorry I but I don’t believe we are one of the schools.

If it’s only 8 of the top 16 then okay it’s not everyone.

Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA scream the blue bloods.

JB doesn’t play this game. Sorry I but I don’t believe we are one of the schools.

If it’s only 8 of the top 16 then okay it’s not everyone.

Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA scream the blue bloods.
That's a good list.

The only thing that would be in our favor is that the ncaa was looking into us for what 10 years? Unless that was something they "overlooked" but I feel like they wanted to make an example of us regardless of what they found and they pretty much laid the smack down on us for minor stuff so I'm sure if they found other violations they would of smacked us for them as well. But who knows the ncaa is the most crooked of everyone. Plus with us being on probation still it would take some huge cahonies on our part to be doing shady stuff like paying recruits. Things will get more interesting from the sounds of it and I can almost guarantee kentucky, duke, unc and zona are involved!

NCAA has a history of doing a lot of things "off the books", so to speak. It's not in their best interest to let the cat out of the bag in terms of what's really going on, and there is usually a 'discussion' period with the administration of schools they are about to sanction to decide on what is going to be fully disclosed and admitted to (hint: it's usually worse than what is made public). Back when I was running OrangeNation I knew a beat writer in Boston who told me that the 'official' NCAA report on UMass (when Cal jumped ship for the NBA) left out 'all the really bad stuff', same with the investigation into Kentucky over the $10k for Chris Mills that fell out of the FedEx package... Just about every institution(and their fanbases) that has been sanctioned complains that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

So, yeah, just another way of saying the NCAA is 'the most crooked of everyone', like you said.