is there a strong argument that gbinije wouldnt come back? | Syracusefan.com

is there a strong argument that gbinije wouldnt come back?

orangehomer

All American
maybe that is the scholly that gets Bryant? I can see it, silent g takes the diploma and runs, cant blame him.

If he has his degree, not a single person should be upset if he leaves, regardless of where he ends up. He would have fulfilled his purpose as a student-athlete.

With RAK gone next year all of those open jump shots and driving lanes will be gone. Points will be much harder to come by.

With RAK gone next year all of those open jump shots and driving lanes will be gone. Points will be much harder to come by.

Tyler Roberson and Chris Mccullough won't do anything to help that out...

If one assumes he will never be NBA bound, but will play for pay somewhere. And if he has his degree, staying makes little sense.

Last edited:
If one assumes he will never be NBA bound, but will pay for pay somewhere. And if he has his degree, staying makes little sense.
I disagree. Would not blame him (or anyone) for making whatever decision is best for him but from a pure basketball standpoint I can certainly see G believing he can come back and have a year equal to or better than fair or rak and as such greatly improve his chances of getting nba shot. If he believes he has no shot then I agree and maybe he does but hard to see that.

CusefanATL said:
Tyler Roberson and Chris Mccullough won't do anything to help that out...

Sure they will to some extent but not nearly as much as Rak.

I disagree. Would not blame him (or anyone) for making whatever decision is best for him but from a pure basketball standpoint I can certainly see G believing he can come back and have a year equal to or better than fair or rak and as such greatly improve his chances of getting nba shot. If he believes he has no shot then I agree and maybe he does but hard to see that.

It's a risk...if he stays he loses one more year of earnings paying pro basketball. And high level European leagur salaries are not insignificant.

We're in agreement. If his goal is the NBA, he should come back.

I doubt it. He's going to get major defensive attention as a 3 point threat especially with Cooney out . I'll conjure up my inner Millhouse below.

The last 4 games before yesterday's Pitt game (which includes the last Pitt game at Pitt), Mike averaged 8 made fg out of 12.5 attempts per game (64%), 4-6 from the 3 point line per game (56.5%) and over 22 points a game. Yesterdays game against Pitt he was 3 for 8 (37.5%), 0 for 3 from the 3 point line and 12 points for the game- 10 points below his recent 4 game average.

If BJ proves himself a consistent offensive threat, things could definitely change with opposing defenses. I would imagine that the NBA would pay attention to how Mike G reacts to being a major defensive focus and if his game suffers as a result. If Mike G's game excels while being a focus, I imagine he would entertain leaving, otherwise he should wait till next year when he can prove his game can elevate with the added pressure and focus.

SWC75 said:
Both are at this stage better inside than Rak was until this year.
so you think these two next year will = Rak this year?

I'm not going to make any predictions for G. I thought he was right around his total upside last year.

The kid is still finding himself as a player. Even earlier this year I felt like he was struggling to be consistent for more than a brief stretch each game. Then he seemed to be in good one-half, bad one-half mode for a bit, and now he seems to be putting it together for the entire game more and more. He still seems to defer quite a bit, and lacks the aggressiveness from someone putting up some of the numbers he has. Even in that Duke game you could see him probing the defense in the second half when you all you wanted was for him to fire up the three because the opening presented itself.

With another year under his belt, and coming off an end of season like this, a more confident, aggressive G could definitely put together a great season that put him more in the spotlight (tourney run, etc...). I can see it playing out well for him, you never know, but I wouldn't discount it at all regardless of the roster.

I doubt it. He's going to get major defensive attention as a 3 point threat especially with Cooney out . I'll conjure up my inner Millhouse below.
Don't do that. The last time that happened they made a very scary movie about it in in Georgetown.
That poor girl almost died from channeling Millhouse.

Hopefully Coleman will live up to the hype about him coming in to SU and be a scoring threat/machine and create the same type of situation AND perhaps there will be more scoring options among any 4 others on the court who can take advantage of it like Silent G does now.

osullfam said:
We're in agreement. If his goal is the NBA, he should come back.

The problem is that with his age the hopes of him being drafted or not good. He is having a great year, shooting the ball extremely well to the point he probably won't shoot at a better clip next season, kind of like Fairs shooting from outside JR to SR year. He is going to get far more attention out there next year than he has this year.

His best road to the NBA is probably going to Europe and playing extremely well then being picked up. Not an easy path but would get to the NBA quicker leaving after this year than next.

I wouldn't fault him for leaving, I think it's very possible and it might be the best move. I really don't know what he'll do but he seems like an intelligent kind kid from when I've met him a couple of times and cto mentioned his father being a smart intelligent guy from her meeting him I think they'll figure out what the right move is for G. He plays one year in Europe next year, it's more than enough money to pay for 2 years of grad school in the future and then some.

When i look at G i see why he was a duke target.Look at guys like elliot williams, chris duhon, austin rivers, nolan smith etc. G reminds me a lot of smith and i have to wonder if the argument might be he could have the type of senior year smith did. We get much deeper in the frontcourt with still questions beyond trev in the backcourt. I think kaleb will really improve but with G's passing and shooting having him run the show while we have trev malachi and BJ to add a potent offensive set of guard and wings with tyler and cmac upfront mike g could rack up some serious accolades and put himself in the draft spotlight.

That said i would bet he has earned a good look as a mid 2nd rounder who could be a late gem and stick in the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom