Is there any word on a new Tn coach yet? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is there any word on a new Tn coach yet?

Right now the biggest problem is the fanbase. They're screaming for the "splash" guy. There are so many loud mouthed idiot fans here. It seems like the most knowledgeable fans are the quiet ones. The vocal fans seem to forget that Saban, Meyer, etc weren't always the homerun guys they are now. Despite all of the this, it seems the new AD is going to hire the guy he thinks will get the job done regardless of what the clueless fans think. I'm never sure if I want to root for the new guy so I can feel satisfied in the collective stupidity of the fanbase or to root against him so I can revel in their dismay.

I want an ompa lumpa now type of fan bases deserve what they get. I don't doubt they are frustrated and getting their butts whipped year in and year out while still getting the crowds they do (which I truly admire)...and you're right about what they want but this AD has to get substance and not flash unless he can find a coach with both.

I want an ompa lumpa now type of fan bases deserve what they get. I don't doubt they are frustrated and getting their butts whipped year in and year out while still getting the crowds they do (which I truly admire)...and you're right about what they want but this AD has to get substance and not flash unless he can find a coach with both.
Couldn't agree more. I will say style over substance is a trait I was surprised to see so strongly down here. I had assumed good ole southerners would care more about substance, but it's just not the case in Knoxville.

Couldn't agree more. I will say style over substance is a trait I was surprised to see so strongly down here. I had assumed good ole southerners would care more about substance, but it's just not the case in Knoxville.

The I have a nice house and car but I'm in debt up to my ying yang type of crowd, eh? Time for them to talk to David Ramsey.

@BFeldmanCBS
Tennessee has offered the Vols head coaching job to Mike Gundy, a source told CBS this morning.

The I have a nice house and car but I'm in debt up to my ying yang type of crowd, eh? Time for them to talk to David Ramsey.
Not always financially, but I see both extremes. I have friends that are Ramsey disciples, but I've seen more fake tans and obvious plastic surgery down here in four years than I saw in 32 years in CNY. And the stereotype of "it takes me an hour to put on my face" is all too accurate. I'm so thankful my wife is not like that, and she's also a transplant.

@BFeldmanCBS
Tennessee has offered the Vols head coaching job to Mike Gundy, a source told CBS this morning.

If this is true then imo it's a darn good move by the Vols...plus it keeps the heck away from our coach!

SO basically they just got Van Gundy a raise... Do they really believe T boone Pickens will not match their offer, unless he has had a bad day or wants to hire a new coach, which I doubt. They are nuts. We are talking T Boone Pickens here not some quack

SO basically they just got Van Gundy a raise... Do they really believe T boone Pickens will not match their offer, unless he has had a bad day or wants to hire a new coach, which I doubt. They are nuts. We are talking T Boone Pickens here not some quack

Your post just reminds me of how these schools seem to have (probably always have been) become/are franchises for the rich.

It is my understanding that DM is not interested in other college coaching jobs - my sources (ha ha) state that coach has 2 goals - win a conference championship outright and go to a BCS bowl and compete/win a NC before he considers his job is complete here at SU.

His next stop, if at all, is the NFL.

This already happened once. Tennessee approached him in 2008, and so OSU gave him a raise.

If Gundy and Strong both say no, how the mighty Vols will have fallen. Could they go back to the Louisiana Tech well again? Before someone else hires him?

This already happened once. Tennessee approached him in 2008, and so OSU gave him a raise.

If Gundy and Strong both say no, how the mighty Vols will have fallen. Could they go back to the Louisiana Tech well again? Before someone else hires him?

Only coach that would be interested in the Vol job would be one that gets a huge raise for doing so, the deck is now stacked there. If Strong and Gundy get a raise and stay put they are better off where they are because you don't have unreasonable fanbase. Gundy and Strong are both in solid programs with solid athletic departments and there jobs are as secure as they get in college football.

Tennessee is delusional because the appeal of that job isn't quite there anymore.. They have gone from Gruden to basically being turned down by Strong and Gundy, they will be offering the Duke coach next or your right the best non BCS coach left out there or an NFL retread

Only coach that would be interested in the Vol job would be one that gets a huge raise for doing so, the deck is now stacked there. If Strong and Gundy get a raise and stay put they are better off where they are because you don't have unreasonable fanbase. Gundy and Strong are both in solid programs with solid athletic departments and there jobs are as secure as they get in college football.

Tennessee is delusional because the appeal of that job isn't quite there anymore.. They have gone from Gruden to basically being turned down by Strong and Gundy, they will be offering the Duke coach next or your right the best non BCS coach left out there or an NFL retread

Yep, and the only people who don't realize this are Vols fans. I see Clay Travis (huge Vol fan) saying they should bring back Fulmer. That would be great. I assume they make a play for Fedora at UNC, but at some point, there is too much humiliation for an SEC team to be turned down by so many non-SEC BCS level coaches. Auburn and Arkansas both with solid hires isn't helping.

There is no way the Tennessee adminstration hires Marrone. How on earth do they sell that to their crazy fan base?

"Hey guys, remember when we ran Phil Fulmer out of town after he won us a national title? And remember how Lane Kiffin used and abused us? Then we got that guy from a program you don't take seriously who had a mediocre record there? Well guess what?! We're hiring a guy from a program you don't take seriously who had a mediocre record there! ARE YOU EXCITED?!?!?"

and he is a damn Yankee from Nawh Yawk Ceety !!!!!

This is giving me a headache

@JimmyHyams
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy is no longer in the UT coaching search, source said. Louisville's Charlie Strong remains a candidate.

It'll be Fedora. This is one situation in which I know someone who knows, and he said it is looking like Fedora will be the coach from what he's been told.

Edit: and I still can't believe Fedora didn't take the A&M job last year since he is from College Station.