Is there concussion protocol in hoops? | Syracusefan.com

Is there concussion protocol in hoops?

I

It is not a concussion every time you hit your head. He did not lose consciousness, nor did he suffer from nausea. Concussion was not likely and I must assume the medical staff said he was good to go.
Perhaps Marek's nickname should be Iron Man!

I

It is not a concussion every time you hit your head. He did not lose consciousness, nor did he suffer from nausea. Concussion was not likely and I must assume the medical staff said he was good to go.
You do not know if he had a concussion. That is why there is a protocol in football. Better safe than sorry. He smashed his temple on the floor, he was obviously stunned and I do not believe that he was wearing a helmet. If asked he probably would have said that he is good to go - just like in the old days.

You do not know if he had a concussion. That is why there is a protocol in football. Better safe than sorry. He smashed his temple on the floor, he was obviously stunned and I do not believe that he was wearing a helmet. If asked he probably would have said that he is good to go - just like in the old days.
I know from personal experience, having had a concussion from just the same type fall in basketball what the symptoms of a concussion are, and he did not appear to have them. I can tell you that after my concussion I lost consiousness for a period of time and I was both nausious and had vertigo for several hours. I am also confident SU staff made a similar conclusion from the same set of observations but I guess you think you know more. You somehow concluded he did, and believe that the staff went against their trainers and medical advice? I do not believe that to be the case.
You saw him smash his temple? Or was it his occipital? I am sure you saw his pupils were dilated because that would also be an indicator of concussion.
I am fooling with you a little, neither you nor I could tell positively from where we were, but the indicators were not present. Truthfully there are no absolute medical tests for concussion. Diagnoses of concussion are made from symptoms, and those symptoms were not readily observed.

I know from personal experience, having had a concussion from just the same type fall in basketball what the symptoms of a concussion are, and he did not appear to have them. I can tell you that after my concussion I lost consiousness for a period of time and I was both nausious and had vertigo for several hours. I am also confident SU staff made a similar conclusion from the same set of observations but I guess you think you know more. You somehow concluded he did, and believe that the staff went against their trainers and medical advice? I do not believe that to be the case.
You saw him smash his temple? Or was it his occipital? I am sure you saw his pupils were dilated because that would also be an indicator of concussion.
I am fooling with you a little, neither you nor I could tell positively from where we were, but the indicators were not present. Truthfully there are no absolute medical tests for concussion. Diagnoses of concussion are made from symptoms, and those symptoms were not readily observed.
First of all, you have no idea what my training is. Second, he was put back in almost immediately. Concussions are not always easy to diagnose. If this would have been football I think that he would have been held out. He was definitely stunned. There had to be swelling and getting back out there almost immediately is something worth noting and commenting about. You are the one saying that you know best. I am one saying that it is worth noting that staff might not have been cautious. I never said that he had a concussion. I said that it was a hard enough blow that it merited caution. He came down really hard and did absolutely nothing to break the impact with a solid surface.

Looked to me like Marek had more of whiplash than anything. I'm actually more concerned about Moyer - after his last dunk, he looked to be limping defending the inbounds, but eventually walked it off. He dunks so emphatically, that his legs are often all over the place when he lands.

First of all, you have no idea what my training is. Second, he was put back in almost immediately. Concussions are not always easy to diagnose. If this would have been football I think that he would have been held out. He was definitely stunned. There had to be swelling and getting back out there almost immediately is something worth noting and commenting about. You are the one saying that you know best. I am one saying that it is worth noting that staff might not have been cautious. I never said that he had a concussion. I said that it was a hard enough blow that it merited caution. He came down really hard and did absolutely nothing to break the impact with a solid surface.
No you are saying the staff did not take proper medical care, I am saying that I believe they did and concluded there was little cause for concern. I do not know your training and frankly do not care.

I took a bad fall this summer in a freak accident ... where my major injury was a doubly dislocated elbow. However, in the fall, my head hit the sidewalk quite emphatically. The first responders asked three questions. Did you lose consciousness ... are you dizzy ...do you have blurred vision. When I answered "no" to all three questions, there was no further discussion of anything other than my elbow... neither at the scene nor in the hospital ER. In other words, there was an immediate decision that I had not suffered a concussion... .and all the medical attention moved on to my elbow.

It was a nasty hit, when they put it in slow mo you knew it was coming and I wanted to turn my head.

I can see both sides of this, but do trust the medical staff took the precautions needed to clear him to return. My first thought was that he was done for the game, he sat for quite a bit where I'm sure he was spoken to and came back in.

All that said I'm sure he has a nasty bump on his head.

I

The point is that no one examined him. Loss of consciousness and nausea aren't required. In the NFL, where they wear helmets, players are pulled from games just from the suspicion of concussion. Without loss of consciousness and without ralphing on the grass... This is just a matter of the NFL getting all the notoriety re: CTE, and basketball not yet catching up because of the significantly reduced frequency of those types of injuries.

Its a big deal in football because it's a dangerous game as it is let alone if your playing with a cloudy head. And if you get another concussion on top of that you are compounding the damage. In basketball, the odds of getting a second concussion would be very rare.

A concussion protocol in basketball would be overkill, imo. You're not going to get a mild concussion then die if you miraculously find a way in basketball to get a second one in the same game. Nor is your brain going to turn to mush because you bonked your head a couple times.I'm

CTE is a concern in football when some guys have dozens of concussions over the course of their career. In basketball, you'd be lucky (unlucky?) to have 3.

Even if we're going to assume Marek had a concussion, which is no more likely than unlikely, playing after showing no symptoms is not very risky.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you are saying the staff did not take proper medical care, I am saying that I believe they did and concluded there was little cause for concern. I do not know your training and frankly do not care.
You cared enough to assume that my training is so inconsequential that your words of wisdom served to toy with me. Have a good day.

The point is that no one examined him. Loss of consciousness and nausea aren't required. In the NFL, where they wear helmets, players are pulled from games just from the suspicion of concussion. Without loss of consciousness and without ralphing on the grass... This is just a matter of the NFL getting all the notoriety re: CTE, and basketball not yet catching up because of the significantly reduced frequency of those types of injuries.

You do know the athletic trainer is part of the medical staff, and he was right there. I can not say an MD looked at him or not, but he was not just sent back out without being examined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom