Man, it feels like | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Man, it feels like

I also love that no matter what the "& Long" is, I feel like we'll convert.

A five yard penalty isn't a drive ender anymore.

This is what football is meant to be.
This 1000x. So in thinking about whether GaTech should have taken the chop block penalty.

I’m not sure 3rd and ten is any different than 2nd and 25.

you, my friend, are a trooper. Becoming a Cuse fan after that 1-10 debacle takes a lot of courage
Couldn't help ourselves; went to the 2021 Wake game (we lost in OT) and we fell for the Orange. It was our first time in the Dome. We've both been obsessed since.

I became a fan in the off-season right before the 2021 season, but being in the Dome sealed the deal permanently.

Cardiac-Cuse at their finest! I'll take the W and the high blood pressure!
I had a thought when Gay scored the last time of Fran huddling up the guys and saying something like we are not going to Syracuse this game like in the past. Not on my watch. Now get the f out there, take the line of scrimmage, and run out the clock.

I’m back in the 1990’s but I have a cell phone. What a great, nail biting game. Watching McCord is like watching a professional QB and it’s been a long time since it’s felt like that. Players came to play. So excited for this season.
Two games in a row without changing the uniforms... Real programs don't use gimmick uniforms.

That's how Fran remembers SU from when he saw P&D's program dismantle Wisconsin and Ron Dayne (of Berlin, N.J) in the Meadowlands...

This schedule is fun.

2 wins over bowl teams to start.

Stanford on a Friday night. BC looks competitive. Pitt is gettable.

UNLV guys doing their slot machine thing. Cal looks spry. NC State is ranked.

We get to beat up on UConn and have Miami at home looming late in the season.

This is awesome.
Don't underestimate Holy Cross, I hear those guys are on a Crusade.

Don't underestimate Holy Cross, I hear those guys are on a Crusade.
history channel win GIF by HISTORY UK

I absolutely love playing penalty free football. I don’t believe there have been any false start penalties or pre snap penalties that plagued us for years.

We really have the upperclassman talent and leadership on both sides of the ball. Usually when you have that at this level good things are possible. Hopefully if Marlowe is really only out for 6 weeks we can potentially get him back and our defense only improved.

Nixon has proven that he can call a game. It’s easy to tell that he is just not calling random plays but is setting things up. Nice flow and always has a play in his back pocket when we need a big conversion on 3rd or 4th and short. We’ve hit them with the end around 2 straight weeks on 4th down. Teams are going to be looking for that. I bet next time we fake it to him and hit the TE over the middle.

Big improvements from Elijah. Long from the days of Scott Shafer hiring a triple option “advisor” the first team we got rolled at Tech. Great adjustments, which you always wanted to see, moving Diggs all over the field and using his size and athletic ability to clog up the run game. Think corners continue to be the weak spot. Barnes seems ok in coverage, but needs to develop helping against the run and fast.

This was a huge game. Probably the biggest on the schedule. Big difference from 1-1 and 2-0 vs a ranked team and catching the big improvements from week 1 to 2. This is where we need to be consistent, but gives us the ability to reach 5-0 and possible get Marlowe back for the stretch run. The schedule is unexpectedly much tougher than we originally thought , but VT, and NC ST may not be as good as predicted. Always thought McCall was a bit over rated to play his style at this level and Drones is not a good passer. Unfortunately, Miami looks the real deal, Cal, who was picked to be good, looks really good, and even UNLV is going to be a tough game. Let’s see if Fran can also change the consistency in the program. Previously we had great, and terrible streaks that would pop up against one another out of no where. We have a week to improve ST’s and continue to work on D (Loved the move to big Watson clogging up the middle. Liked seeing Fran go with the guys who played well vs Ohio) vs Stanford. Then you get Holy Cross at home and at UNLV, which we will be favored, but can be tricky. If you can get to 5-0 then all sorts of things can happen once you start believing, but that’s also when things get tough and we’ll be on the road. Regardless, that’s why getting this win was so key for the season.

The fourth down and third and short plays HCFB ran were genius. I hate to say it but our former coach would have tried to jam it down their throats and turned the ball over. Big time difference of making split decisions and thinking outside the box. Big win!
Well not only that, if we had tried something more creative we would have gotten a false start putting us back 5 yards and punted. The penalty discipline is a major glaring improvement over last year.

I am happy with Fran like everyone. Not sure it is fair to act like there weren't any good moments when Dino was here. We are moving on but not sure we need to reference Dino's shortcomings after every win. Dino was a classy guy who did his best and represented the University well. Maybe it is just me. But let's turn the page! GO Orange!
Dino should get credit for taking the program from where it was to a better position when he left it. Brown did not inherit a rebuild. This isn’t where the program was going into 2009 or 2016.

Dino just didn’t show there was a credible path to get beyond the 7-5/5-7 do loop.

Dino should get credit for taking the program from where it was to a better position when he left it. Brown did not inherit a rebuild. This isn’t where the program was going into 2009 or 2016.

Dino just didn’t show there was a credible path to get beyond the 7-5/5-7 do loop.

Dino inherited a 4-8 / 2-6 program and got fired with a 5-6 / 1-6 record.

he left with no competent Oline, no quarterbacks, a couple of skill players out of more than a dozen.

HALF of the depth chart are brand new players with 9 starters.

It’s nice to have a coach with solid clock management. I had heard someone say that you could grab a random 10 yr old that plays a lot of madden and they’d have better clock management than most coaches… sadly that’s true, but I think Fran gets it
Plays a lot of Madden. Kidding. The clock management has been so much better.

Dino inherited a 4-8 / 2-6 program and got fired with a 5-6 / 1-6 record.

he left with no competent Oline, no quarterbacks, a couple of skill players out of more than a dozen.

HALF of the depth chart are brand new players with 9 starters.
They were 18-19 the last three with two bowl games. Not a dumpster fire. Schafer left a team that was awful across the board. Same with Robinson.

No kidding, he was hired to boost the talent, he’d have failed if his finger prints weren’t on the depth chart.

I’m very happy Brown is here, just don’t see the need to exaggerate what happened before.

Last edited:

Things would've been good here last year with McCord. That's a big part of the job so don't take that as any defense of babers

I loved the Baylor offense because it seemed easy for QBs to spread the ball around to many players and know where to go ahead of time to stay a step ahead. Apparently this offense is simple enough for them to learn and accomplish everything I wanted from the Baylor offense so I didn't care whether it's considered pro style. I need more time watching closer to understand what's going on - I've been watching but not as closely as I'd like (kids sports in the way)

Last edited:
Things would've been good here last year with McCord. That's a big part of the job so funny take that as any defense of babers

I loved the Baylor offense because it seemed easy for QBs to spread the ball around to many players and know where to go ahead of time to stay a step ahead. Apparently this offense is simple enough for them to learn and accomplish everything I wanted from the Baylor offense so I didn't care whether it's considered pro style. I need more time watching closer to understand what's going on - I've been watching but not as closely as I'd like (kids sports in the way)
They have put so much offense on tape already. Not locked into the pistol, going under center. Two back or 5 wide, even went I formation.

They even had one play with 4 te’s, Tremble was out there with OG, Villari, and Mang.

8 reliable targets with JRS, Ross, Gill and Willis in the wings.

They were 18-19 the last three with two bowl games. Not a dumpster fire. Schafer left a team that was awful across the board. Same with Robinson.

No kidding, he was hired to boost the talent, he’d have failed if his finger prints weren’t on the depth chart.

I’m very happy Brown is here, just don’t see the need to exaggerate what happened before.

Babers best players were Shafer recruits that led to 10-3. Every coach has some decent players when a new guy takes over but Babers team was a dumpster fire at the end of last season. Blame injuries fine but we didn’t have a kid on the team who could throw a forward pass; or any OL that could block. That’s on DB.

Fran came in and turned over half Babers roster. Thankfully he didn’t come in and say we have to let the cake bake.

Babers best players were Shafer recruits that led to 10-3. Every coach has some decent players when a new guy takes over but Babers team was a dumpster fire at the end of last season. Blame injuries fine but we didn’t have a kid on the team who could throw a forward pass; or any OL that could block. That’s on DB.

Fran came in and turned over half Babers roster. Thankfully he didn’t come in and say we have to let the cake bake.
At what point did I imply that either the roster or level,of play didn’t need to improve? That’s what Brown was hired to do.

At what point did I imply that either the roster or level,of play didn’t need to improve? That’s what Brown was hired to do.

you said they were not a dumpster fire and Brown did not inherit a rebuild. I would say they were a dumpster fire and Brown did inherit a rebuild and completely overhauled and rebuilt the team.

Most happy that SU has a functional offense again. Too many times in the last decade you'd watch SU then the other games across the country and it was like SU wasn't playing the same sport.

Most happy that SU has a functional offense again. Too many times in the last decade you'd watch SU then the other games across the country and it was like SU wasn't playing the same sport.
It’s amazing what a competent QB can do. Hopefully this audition will prime us for a nice run in next years portal. Unless they’re confident Williams is that guy, I don’t think we can take a risk on someone we aren’t absolutely confident in, with no experience, against that daunting schedule. This is why i would recruit at least 2 QB’s every class and let everything sort itself out. If you don’t have a QB you don’t have an offense.

It’s amazing what a competent QB can do. Hopefully this audition will prime us for a nice run in next years portal. Unless they’re confident Williams is that guy, I don’t think we can take a risk on someone we aren’t absolutely confident in, with no experience, against that daunting schedule. This is why i would recruit at least 2 QB’s every class and let everything sort itself out. If you don’t have a QB you don’t have an offense.
He’s more than competent. I’m sure they will get another transfer QB I don’t think there’s much choice but whoever it is won’t be as good as Kyle but who is ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom