Is there no one on the roster who can stretch the field? | Syracusefan.com

Is there no one on the roster who can stretch the field?

zibby

Starter
I don't care if he's seventh string or redshirting or whatever. Get the fastest WR you have on the field. Now.

Dorian is already out there. He just can't catch the ball.

Dorian is already out there. He just can't catch the ball.

I think Nassib really needs to throw it a bit harder on those 5 yd routes. I'm waiting for the ball to hit and kill the field judge. Nice touch son.

I don't care if he's seventh string or redshirting or whatever. Get the fastest WR you have on the field. Now.

No i dont think there is. do you notice that when we do throw deep our guys are always covered? it doesn't matter that nassib overthrows or underthrows, the recievers always have a guy on them, sometimes two and they are running step for step. what i find interesting is the deep throws are always off play action and yet the receivers are covered. that tells me that nobody respects the passing game or the running game. they're playing run straight up with dt's and lbs and letting corners/safeties play assignment.

The problem is that Nassib either (a) doesn't throw it or (b) overthrows it by 15 yards. Did you see USF on one if their deep passes? That dude was blanketed but daniels still threw it and got a completion. We don't ever take any chances deep (Nassib/Hackett/Marrone) which is why we have no "playmakers". They're never given an opportunity to make plays unless it's breaking a 15 yard run up the GD middle. Or a 5 yard slant with 15 yards YAC.

We simply DO NOT have the game breakers out there to help us win those tough games. Delone Carter was one of those, but after his hip injury, it smacked him down a notch. He still had his strength, but his lateral quickness was diminished.

Could you IMAGINE what he would have looked like the last 2 seasons, if he wasn't injured? Syracuse could have easily won 10 games last year with a fully charged DC...

We simply DO NOT have the game breakers out there to help us win those tough games. Delone Carter was one of those, but after his hip injury, it smacked him down a notch. He still had his strength, but his lateral quickness was diminished.

Could you IMAGINE what he would have looked like the last 2 seasons, if he wasn't injured? Syracuse could have easily won 10 games last year with a fully charged DC...

And still would be in the position we're in right now THIS year. What's your point? No one said last year was unsuccessful.

My POINT is, That is how important a star player is to a program. We can easily see the juxtaposition of last year to this one. Even a diminished star player knows how to carry a team.

We don't have that now. We have a collection of decent to good players who can play .500 ball. We had the same thing when GROB was there, but he couldn't coach !!!

"Great fan support tonight by Syracuse...I've been inside libraries that were louder.

We simply DO NOT have the game breakers out there to help us win those tough games.

Tough games?We just lost 3 straight TO THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE BIG F*CKING EAST!BY 20 AT HOME TO THE LAST PLACE TEAM!We are in last place in the crappiest conference in the country.TOUGH GAMES?How in the hell are THESE the tough games?

No i dont think there is. do you notice that when we do throw deep our guys are always covered? it doesn't matter that nassib overthrows or underthrows, the recievers always have a guy on them, sometimes two and they are running step for step. what i find interesting is the deep throws are always off play action and yet the receivers are covered. that tells me that nobody respects the passing game or the running game. they're playing run straight up with dt's and lbs and letting corners/safeties play assignment.

Really good points here. I agree that I'm not sure they really have a true deep threat that I've seen. Maybe Kobena could be that guy, but so far it's hard to say there is one on the roster. But yeah, when everything you do is average or below average, nobody cheats on anything other than what you like to do the most (not necessarily the best). That's slants.

They are TOUGH because those teams have BETTER TALENT Than Syracuse.

Don't kid yourself, TALENT is the deciding factor here...

So who in your opinion DO we have enough talent to not look like against?We struggled with goddamned RI and Tulane for christs sake.We got a gift W at home against a MAC team.We lost to a UCONN and by 20 at home to THE LAST PLACE TEAM IN THE BIG EAST.They had just lost 4 STRAIGHT GAMES!
The talent might not be the best,but this goes WAY,WAY beyong talent.This team has come out in 3 straight games totally unprepared to play.They
have committed stupid penalty after stupid penalty,game after game all season long.They show no emotion or intensity AT ALL as they watch this season go into the toilet.It's the same crap every week and none of them look like they care.

That would be Graham. He may have been the fastest gut on the filed tonight and if not, one of the fastest. But we don't send him deep we use Chew who has average WR speed. Graham doesn't have the greatest hands but he had been improving before tonight. I don't know why we don't use him on deep routes.

We are Mediocre, based on our talent level.

When GROB was coach, we had basically the same talent level, & maybe a bit more... How did that work out?

The fact is, no big name coaches wanted to come here & fix the mess. Not even overrated Skip Holtz wanted this job...

So, our best choice was a solid guy with great love & loyalty for Syracuse. So here we are nearly 3 years later, & Doug is staring at a .500 record for his time here so far... By this time next season, he will be well above .500, & we will see the clouds breaking wide open...

Folks, this is the best we could hope for under the circumstances. The media left us for dead & tried to prop up Rutgers & UCONN in our place. It worked for awhile, & did set us back further than necessary, but this coach still has the tools to get us out from between the rock & the hard place.

The GREAT NEWS is, Syracuse will come back stronger than ever, & Rutgers & UCONN will be decimated within 3 years, with very little hope of rising again, even IF the ACC comes calling. It will be too late for those fledgling programs...

Most important thing to note: Rutgers and UConn will decimate soon enough and that'll bring us back to our regular recruiting trails that GRob destroyed.

I'm sorry, I thought we have one guy averaging 150+ / game over the last two. If that is not stretching the field, I do not know what is.

What is "stretching the field" anyway? A guaranteed 50 yard TD each game? Very few teams have that.

Who has better talent than SU? WVU and Pitt and Cincy. The rest, pfft. None of them have talent, or at least not a lot of it.

Who has better talent than SU? WVU and Pitt and Cincy. The rest, pfft. None of them have talent, or at least not a lot of it.

The only Big East team we have more talent than is UConn. Rutgers, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida all have more talent than us.

The only Big East team we have more talent than is UConn. Rutgers, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Louisville and South Florida all have more talent than us.

In your opinion. My opinion is that SU, LVille, UConn and rutgers are all comparable. We rail on our offense but all 3 of those teams have worse offenses. We rail on Nassib but by any statistical means he is the 3rd best QB. Lemon has had a great season. Provo is the best TE in the league. Krautman has been hurt a few game yet he has the best FG% in the BE. We are behind in other areas like defense but when you watch all these teams play and look at their results, they are all comparable.

Sorry, but you are wrong about Lemon stretching the field. Yes, he has played very solid the last two games. However, he will not beat a BCS corner one on one or get through a double coverage and make a deep play in a consistent basis. Yesterday's stat was patted with several catches during garabage time. WR who used to stretch the field at SU are players like Rob Moore, Marvin Harrison, Mike Williams, Quiton Spotwood and Kevin Johnson.

Our WRs are mostly FCS talent. Graham and Kobena are physical machine who can't catch a ball in a consistent basis. West is a possession receiver who is very average. Chew is the worst starting WR in BCS conference. Lemon is a very good possession receiver who would make a lot of BCS team happy as a 3rd or 4th WR. In addition, we have a very average OL, TB and inconsistent QB. That's why we are ranked #80-90 offense in the nation. Better play call wouldn't make much difference.

Marrone has to recruit better talent. He has yet to bring in better WR than Lemon or Chew and that is showing up on the scoreboard. IMO Delone Carter and Antown Bailey (GRob recruits) are way better than Tyson Gulley, Jerome Smith or Adonis Moore (his recruits). He hasn't brought in any big time QB or OL. If he keeps bringing in 2 star talents who's only offers were Buffalo, Central Michigan or Bowling Green, he will have a trouble winning vs. Big East or ACC teams. We just gotta pray 2 star recruits turn to next diamond in the rough because we have a very few 3 and 4 star recruits coming in.

Sorry, but you are wrong about Lemon stretching the field. Yes, he has played very solid the last two games. However, he will not beat a BCS corner one on one or get through a double coverage and make a deep play in a consistent basis. Yesterday's stat was patted with several catches during garabage time. WR who used to stretch the field at SU are players like Rob Moore, Marvin Harrison, Mike Williams, Quiton Spotwood and Kevin Johnson.

Our WRs are mostly FCS talent. Graham and Kobena are physical machine who can't catch a ball in a consistent basis. West is a possession receiver who is very average. Chew is the worst starting WR in BCS conference. Lemon is a very good possession receiver who would make a lot of BCS team happy as a 3rd or 4th WR. In addition, we have a very average OL, TB and inconsistent QB. That's why we are ranked #80-90 offense in the nation. Better play call wouldn't make much difference.

Marrone has to recruit better talent. He has yet to bring in better WR than Lemon or Chew and that is showing up on the scoreboard. IMO Delone Carter and Antown Bailey (GRob recruits) are way better than Tyson Gulley, Jerome Smith or Adonis Moore (his recruits). He hasn't brought in any big time QB or OL. If he keeps bringing in 2 star talents who's only offers were Buffalo, Central Michigan or Bowling Green, he will have a trouble winning vs. Big East or ACC teams. We just gotta pray 2 star recruits turn to next diamond in the rough because we have a very few 3 and 4 star recruits coming in.

What is stretching the field? I agree Lemon isn't the stretch the field type WR but who is in the BE? Of the top 10 receivers in the BE, only Bailey of WVU averages more yards per catch than Lemon. Only 2 players have had a catch longer than Lemon. Does Sanu stretch the field and is he a game breaker? He catches a lot of balls but averages 4 ypc less than Lemon. So while I don't think we have the stretch the field guy like a Rob Moore or Marvin Harrison, I really don't think other teams do either, a least not on a consistent basis. Maybe a backup catches the occasional "bomb".

Why do we need to send a guy deep? We can't pass protect long enough to get time to throw it downfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom