Is this a Roberts/Watkins frontcourt? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this a Roberts/Watkins frontcourt?

Using shot blocking stats as the primary way to gauge defensive play is a lot like looking at Arinze Onuaku's field goal percentage and concluding that he was a good shooter.

Anyway--interesting discussion.

I get what you're saying but I think you're taking my post a bit far. I think any number -- advanced metric or basketball card stat -- has to be taken in context so you avoid telling people Arinze was a terrific shooter. My point is that I think shot-blocking is very important in a defense that keeps it's center around the basket for the most part. Yes, I realize he has to be on a string at times and capable of effectively defending a player in the high post. And yes, I wish Etan denied the pass to the post a bit better and worked harder at positioning, but ultimately the guy was an absolute nightmare for most opponents. Plus, I'd argue that most shot-blockers tend to be fairly agile and quick off the floor -- things that help with the slides required in the zone.

Regardless, both were great defenders. I just tend to give the edge to Etan for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is spending basically a decade in the league largely for defense and rebounding. I see that as about as good a referendum on your defensive ability as anything.

Is this year's team more talented than that 07 team? I think the answer is no. We are certainly deeper this year but I would bet by March JB has an 8 man rotation.

Luckily the landscape is a lot worse where we have a legit shot at winning the Big East. That being said I am really worried about our ceiling this year. I think it may be the Sweet 16. We have a bunch of nice players but no leader and no outside shooting. One of Triche or Waiters will have to step up for us to make a run, but I doubt that happens.

Watkins < Melo
TRob > XMas
Gorman < Keita
Harris = Fair
DNic > KJo
Devo > Triche
Andy > Waiters
Wright < Scoop

Come BE play I don't think we see much PT for Southerland, Mookie, or Cooney. I think MCW will get into games but only play 4 mins or so in the first half of BE games. There just isn't enough room to fit these guys in.

To me Watkins/Roberts=Frustration

Yeah. I wonder what the actual numbers were, but my impression was always that there were a LOT of missed bunnies. Easy layups that somehow, just went off the backboard or rim just a little 'off.' The problem with both of those players was HANDS. Neither had great hands. Neither did Etan. His were like paddles. Etan got better. Watkins and Roberts never seemed to. Almost like it was a mental thing, like free throw shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom