Is this feasible? PG Discussion | Syracusefan.com

Is this feasible? PG Discussion

81South

2017 Iggy Winner, Back to Back Iggy Winner
I have laid low during these turbulent times on the board.

I am hoping it's safe to pose a hypothetical question.

I went back and looked at the scouting notes/reports on Battle from high school. It certainly appears that most projected him as a combo guard in college. So this question is really for those who saw him play in high school or on the AAU circuit. Hypothetically, would Battle be a viable option at the point guard spot at times? It seems his athleticism could be an asset in the hi pick n roll sets we like to roll with.

Anyways, just kicking the tires and looking for thoughts.

I hope JB is willing to consider any/all options. And I don't think Tyus at PG (at least for stretches) is far-fetched

Ok, so if Battle goes to PG, who is playing alongside him? White? If so, what is the net gain over Frank? If somehow the offense flows better with Tyus at the point, I am all in, but I don't think he is the answer. I think, as a point guard, he would play much the same as Frank.

I have laid low during these turbulent times on the board.

I am hoping it's safe to pose a hypothetical question.

I went back and looked at the scouting notes/reports on Battle from high school. It certainly appears that most projected him as a combo guard in college. So this question is really for those who saw him play in high school or on the AAU circuit. Hypothetically, would Battle be a viable option at the point guard spot at times? It seems his athleticism could be an asset in the hi pick n roll sets we like to roll with.

Anyways, just kicking the tires and looking for thoughts.
He's definitely capable of playing the point, and would certainly be seeing plenty of time there if Gillon wasn't on this team. I expect to see JB use him in this role more frequently as the season progresses.

Ok, so if Battle goes to PG, who is playing alongside him? White? If so, what is the net gain over Frank? If somehow the offense flows better with Tyus at the point, I am all in, but I don't think he is the answer. I think, as a point guard, he would play much the same as Frank.

My understanding, in terms of athleticism and quickness, is that Battle is ahead of Frank...so in our pick n roll sets that would be one advantage to having Battle play some point guard.

A lot of people have been saying we lack that guy who can create his own offense off the dribble....wasn't Battle supposed to be that guy for us?

Hell, I haven't seen a practice...I'm just spit ballin here.

My understanding, in terms of athleticism and quickness, is that Battle is ahead of Frank...so in our pick n roll sets that would be one advantage to having Battle play some point guard.

A lot of people have been saying we lack that guy who can create his own offense off the dribble...wasn't Battle supposed to be that guy for us?

I hear you on trying to figure all this out. But, if we are looking for him to create for himself, we are better off leaving him as SG and then clearing out for him. I think the problem is spacing and lack of movement on offense. These guys should be in constant motion and instead of passing around the perimeter ten times and then chuck a three, they NEED to feed the post and then either find the open man on the double team or let DC or Lydon take their man from the post. But guys have to put pressure on the defense by moving and setting off ball picks. Make the defense do something. We make it too damn easy.

Can Battle get to the basket without losing the ball or committing a charge? I don't see it. He would be worse than Frank IMO.

Can Battle get to the basket without losing the ball or committing a charge? I don't see it. He would be worse than Frank IMO.
In his defense, very few people can make a straight line move to the basket from outside the 3 point line when the rest of the offense is stagnant, allowing all the defensive eyes to be firmly on the ball. It makes it easy to take the charge or engage off your man and take a swipe at the ball. I know, I am a broken record.

I hear you on trying to figure all this out. But, if we are looking for him to create for himself, we are better off leaving him as SG and then clearing out for him. I think the problem is spacing and lack of movement on offense. These guys should be in constant motion and instead of passing around the perimeter ten times and then chuck a three, they NEED to feed the post and then either find the open man on the double team or let DC or Lydon take their man from the post. But guys have to put pressure on the defense by moving and setting off ball picks. Make the defense do something. We make it too damn easy.

I agree on feeding the post...especially with Lydon in there. You have to at least try to score from the block vs just jacking 3's all game. And yes, kicking it back from the paint should allow guys to step into an open three. Also, with DC hitting the mid-range jumper one would think the hi - lo post game would be an option on offense.

In his defense, very few people can make a straight line move to the basket from outside the 3 point line when the rest of the offense is stagnant, allowing all the defensive eyes to be firmly on the ball. It makes it easy to take the charge or engage off your man and take a swipe at the ball. I know, I am a broken record.

This is correct. Defense is just standing and waiting to slide to help and take the charge. Guys off the ball have to move to keep defenders moving.

I would like to feed Lydon at the top of the key more. Let him pop it from there or dish to Colman or Roby down low or pop it out to Battle or White for 3. The pick and roll at top is ok but teams know its coming. I would like to add another simple option. I would like to see the ball worked around more.

I would like to feed Lydon at the top of the key more. Let him pop it from there or dish to Colman or Roby down low or pop it out to Battle or White for 3. The pick and roll at top is ok but teams know its coming. I would like to add another simple option. I would like to see the ball worked around more.
I like those ideas too. We did feed Lydon against the UConn zone and he was ineffective. Part of that is certainly the lack of mvmt by other guys but he was so reluctant to shoot or make a move. When he posted up low against m2m he didn't get the ball. Currently, DC is our only post player making smart, quick decisions.

The only problem is we don't really have a backup SG since we've discovered that White cannot play there. That means Battle is in with Gillon or Howard whenever he's on the court. At that point, which one is PG and which one is SG is kind of semantics. We could certainly get the ball to Battle more in pick-and-roll situations (effectively making him the PG), though. With Coleman's newfound midrange jumper, I think him setting a pick for Battle (with the ability to pop, slip, and roll) is an intriguing option because Battle is/should be the biggest threat to drive. Gillon's struggling to get open looks. Maybe running some sets with Battle spearheading the offense will allow Gillon to run through some screens Cooney-style and get open.

I like those ideas too. We did feed Lydon against the UConn zone and he was ineffective. Part of that is certainly the lack of mvmt by other guys but he was so reluctant to shoot or make a move. When he posted up low against m2m he didn't get the ball. Currently, DC is our only post player making smart, quick decisions.

Our spacing by the guards/wings wasn't great either when we passed the ball to Lydon at the foul line. Their guards were able to collapse back in too quickly so we wasn't really able to do much while there. We needed toospread them out and make them chase out to foul line extended and then we could have gotten him some clean looks and open passing lanes.

This is correct. Defense is just standing and waiting to slide to help and take the charge. Guys off the ball have to move to keep defenders moving.
It seems like no one is after the ball. They shift but aren't hungry to steal that was always on cooneys mind. Always and then the transition fastbreak

A lot of people have been saying we lack that guy who can create his own offense off the dribble...wasn't Battle supposed to be that guy for us?

Pick n roll sets? I haven't seen an effective roll yet this season. It would be a nice addition.

The issue with this school of thinking is that at this time Battle doesn't handle the ball well enough to make plays. However, he is the best athlete on the team.

Pick n roll sets? I haven't seen an effective roll yet this season. It would be a nice addition.

The issue with this school of thinking is that at this time Battle doesn't handle the ball well enough to make plays. However, he is the best athlete on the team.

These two back to back just got me thinking. Why can't we use two guards in the PNR? With Battle's size and athletic ability, I'd love to see if he's got any back to the basket moves. Or can cut to the basket and make a play with the ball on the roll.

Don't think I've seen an effective one since Forth was setting up Gmac.
If I were JB, I would tell the guys to over exaggerate the picks early in the game, maybe even plant a dude on his ass. If a dude catches a blind pick from DC in the first five minutes, maybe he doesn't pursue so carefree the rest of the game.

If I were JB, I would tell the guys to over exaggerate the picks early in the game, maybe even plant a dude on his ass. If a dude catches a blind pick from DC in the first five minutes, maybe he doesn't pursue so carefree the rest of the game.
Kinda like when Ewing set the tone in the NC game with four goal tends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom