Is this feasible? PG Discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is this feasible? PG Discussion

We ran a LOT of pick and rolls with AO and Rick. I don't know why we can't run them with DC, TT and TL. They should all be very effective at it.
They don't catch well in traffic and aren't adept at finishing either The Lydon pick and pop is a good option.

I went back and looked at the scouting notes/reports on Battle from high school. It certainly appears that most projected him as a combo guard in college. So this question is really for those who saw him play in high school or on the AAU circuit. Hypothetically, would Battle be a viable option at the point guard spot at times? It seems his athleticism could be an asset in the hi pick n roll sets we like to roll with..

Maybe next year. He's got a lot of games left to play this year. I think he and Lydon, based on how they are playing right now, look like they will both be back.

I have laid low during these turbulent times on the board.

I am hoping it's safe to pose a hypothetical question.

I went back and looked at the scouting notes/reports on Battle from high school. It certainly appears that most projected him as a combo guard in college. So this question is really for those who saw him play in high school or on the AAU circuit. Hypothetically, would Battle be a viable option at the point guard spot at times? It seems his athleticism could be an asset in the hi pick n roll sets we like to roll with.

Anyways, just kicking the tires and looking for thoughts.

Appreciate thinking outside the box, but I haven't seen anything about his handle at the 2 that makes me think he'd be an effective point guard right now.

Appreciate thinking outside the box, but I haven't seen anything about his handle at the 2 that makes me think he'd be an effective point guard right now.

I don' think it's any worse than the ballhandling Howard and Gillon have showed. For comparison, it's definitely no worse than Gbinije's and he did alright at PG.

I don' think it's any worse than the ballhandling Howard and Gillon have showed. For comparison, it's definitely no worse than Gbinije's and he did alright at PG.

Battle has the same problem Gillon and Howard have. Great against the cupcakes, struggles against good teams. Not sure how that changes making him the PG. He's getting to the rim at the same percentage as Trevor Cooney did last year.

They don't catch well in traffic and aren't adept at finishing either The Lydon pick and pop is a good option.
The PnR is an option play for the ball handler. If the roll isn't open, you don't pass it to him. If things didn't work out, you reset.
It's supposed to create a brief moment of confusion with the defenders who have to decide to switch or try to fight through the pick. It needs to be practiced a lot to be smooth.

Battle has the same problem Gillon and Howard have. Great against the cupcakes, struggles against good teams. Not sure how that changes making him the PG. He's getting to the rim at the same percentage as Trevor Cooney did last year.

He's a freshman. He's got a lot of room to improve. The raw talent is there and his ballhandling in high school was superb. Once the college game slows down a bit for him, mentally, I think he'll give a lot of ACC guards fits. It's just a matter of when he gets up to speed. The move to the starting lineup at SG is already helping him, I think. Putting the ball in his hands even more once he gets more comfortable, should do a lot for his development.

He's a freshman. He's got a lot of room to improve. The raw talent is there and his ballhandling in high school was superb. Once the college game slows down a bit for him, mentally, I think he'll give a lot of ACC guards fits. It's just a matter of when he gets up to speed. The move to the starting lineup at SG is already helping him, I think. Putting the ball in his hands even more once he gets more comfortable, should do a lot for his development.

You can say the same thing about Howard being a 2nd year player. It took Gbinije 3 years to make the move from the wing to PG. This is just year one for Battle.

Yes, but Gbinije had considerably more experience as a college basketball player.

You can say the same thing about Howard being a 2nd year player. It took Gbinije 3 years to make the move from the wing to PG. This is just year one for Battle.

True, but Gbinije was never a lead guard before coming here. My understanding, and from what I've seen in his highlight videos, is that Battle was often running the show in AAU/high school. He has more experience with the position than G did when he came here. PG isn't a foreign position for Battle like it was for G.

True, but Gbinije was never a lead guard before coming here. My understanding, and from what I've seen in his highlight videos, is that Battle was often running the show in AAU/high school. He has more experience with the position than G did when he came here. PG isn't a foreign position for Battle like it was for G.

Pretty sure he was a wing/Shooting guard. I'm just taking into account from what JB and other insiders have said that he wasn't ready to run a team at the college level. Still think it has to be Frank.

Ball-handling isn't the problem, at least not exactly. I mean, I'm pretty sure that Gillon has top level handles, but he's worse than Frank out there. It's much more about knowing how to use the handles to get where you want and manipulate the defense and then make the right play to put the offense in a position to score. Gbinije didn't have great handles, but he knew how to use his physicality to get the job done. Kaleb Joseph probably had phenomenal hanfles, but never could figure out how to use them. Personally, I think all three of Gillon, Frank, and Battle COULD be effective at the point for us, but Frank at this point is the closest to getting there, followed by Gillon, followed by Battle. I still have a lot of faith in Frank's ability. I think he's in a funk right now, but will learn and become more consistent. I believe in Boeheims ability to teach pgs.

Ball-handling isn't the problem, at least not exactly. I mean, I'm pretty sure that Gillon has top level handles, but he's worse than Frank out there. It's much more about knowing how to use the handles to get where you want and manipulate the defense and then make the right play to put the offense in a position to score. Gbinije didn't have great handles, but he knew how to use his physicality to get the job done. Kaleb Joseph probably had phenomenal hanfles, but never could figure out how to use them. Personally, I think all three of Gillon, Frank, and Battle COULD be effective at the point for us, but Frank at this point is the closest to getting there, followed by Gillon, followed by Battle. I still have a lot of faith in Frank's ability. I think he's in a funk right now, but will learn and become more consistent. I believe in Boeheims ability to teach pgs.

Gillon has a problem similar to Kaleb. He dribbles in the wrong direction. Away from the basket instead of toward the basket.

Gillon has a handle. Joseph did not. Not here at least. But yes, Gillon (Howard too at times) are dribbling in the wrong direction.

The PnR is an option play for the ball handler. If the roll isn't open, you don't pass it to him. If things didn't work out, you reset.
It's supposed to create a brief moment of confusion with the defenders who have to decide to switch or try to fight through the pick. It needs to be practiced a lot to be smooth.
It only creates that confusion for defenders who feel the role man is a threat.

Why would we ever abandon Frank Howard starting at point. We whiffed on our important 2017 pg target and the jury is still out on whether or not Battle will even be here next year. Frank Howards the future, Gillon's not good enough to start over him and it will hurt our depth/performance in March imo to start Tyus over him.

Why would we ever abandon Frank Howard starting at point. We whiffed on our important 2017 pg target and the jury is still out on whether or not Battle will even be here next year. Frank Howards the future, Gillon's not good enough to start over him and it will hurt our depth/performance in March imo to start Tyus over him.
I agree with that.

There were a lot of questions coming into this season regarding who would see major minutes at certain positions. While I'm usually reluctant to draw conclusions eight games in, I believe Howard and Coleman will be playing a lot more than many anticipated, and Gillon and Chukwu will be playing far less.

Because of where we are with our record, scheduling and recruitment... I'm going to go ahead and say that right now if we want to win 18+ games next year, let alone this year, we do not have the luxury of considering giving starting point to Tyus Battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom