Is this the year? | Syracusefan.com

Is this the year?

Need some final fours and championships. That article is very right. No one really cares about 1 seeds or #1 rankings or winning your conference. We as fans of this team do but the national perception is almost solely based on Final 4s and titles.

The author mistated that the program has only made it to 3 final fours under the "Make A Run To Atlanta" section. I know 3 or 4 is not much of a difference but let's not short change ourselves.

Need some final fours and championships. That article is very right. No one really cares about 1 seeds or #1 rankings or winning your conference. We as fans of this team do but the national perception is almost solely based on Final 4s and titles.

I sort of agree that no one cares about 1 seeds and #1 rankings. But those two things produce extensive and positive press about the program and that builds prestige. I also think recruits care about 1 seeds and #1 rankings, and that is a factor in their selection process. While many may not care about winning the conference season title or BET, I do, and the metric ranking schemes almost always factor them.

no. unless we can play man we can't perform against good man at crunch time. carmelo isn't walking thru the door. it's too bad. this team has the personel to do it. we'll be really good early on and we'll be one of the favorites, but tavern is terminal.

I sort of agree that no one cares about 1 seeds and #1 rankings. But those two things produce extensive and positive press about the program and that builds prestige. I also think recruits care about 1 seeds and #1 rankings, and that is a factor in their selection process. While many may not care about winning the conference season title or BET, I do, and the metric ranking schemes almost always factor them.

I think the #1 seed/ranking does matter a bit, though certainly not to the level of a Final Four or a title. But you get to selection Sunday and you'll hear stuff from Greg Gumbel like "another #1 seed for the Tar Heels/Blue Devils/Wildcats" etc. Consistently being in the mix for a #1 seed definitely helps put you in the mix for being a blue blood, but you do need to cash those into final fours and titles as well.

I think the #1 seed/ranking does matter a bit, though certainly not to the level of a Final Four or a title. But you get to selection Sunday and you'll hear stuff from Greg Gumbel like "another #1 seed for the Tar Heels/Blue Devils/Wildcats" etc. Consistently being in the mix for a #1 seed definitely helps put you in the mix for being a blue blood, but you do need to cash those into final fours and titles as well.

#1 seeds are important because you practically get a "bye" into the Sweet 16. I agree with the article, though - we have underachieved and missed out on some really good opportunities to improve our national profile.

I really hope JB can pull a couple more Final Fours and 1 more ring before he hands it over to Mike. I think this year has great possibilities, but next year, if Mike CW and Coleman return, we could be a championship team.

Speaking of bluebloods, check out the USA Today top 25. The top 14 have all won championships.
Orange are one of four with only one, including Ohio State, Michigan, and Arizona.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom