Is this week the beginning of the end? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this week the beginning of the end?

wasn't that the year SU played a horrendous game at BC and there were posts on the board talking 0-18 ACC?
nope that was the following year (Gillon/White) - that BC debacle came shortly after the 33-pt beatdown to st.johns in the dome

I think the ship has sailed on making the tourney to spare. Last year we had a pretty crappy season and probably shouldn’t have made the tournament, but we beat the teams we should have OOC, outside of the Bonnies while playing .500 ish in the ACC. The previous year we had a better ACC record but had a lot more OOC losses to teams we had no business losing to and we went to the NIT. Lesson is OOC losses against crappy teams matter.

2016-17 had zero OOC wins against teams from power conferences. We already have two this year including @ OSU and a chance for a good win against a decent Buffalo.

Really getting to the point where I don’t care anymore. Even the way we win is pretty boring. We aren’t fun anymore. Certain people leaving may be what we need.

I listened to WAER after the ODU game. One of the student broadcasters said...

"Syracuse has never made the tourney with 3 early season out of conference losses."

I'm not sure that's true. Too lazy to look it up.
Waters wrote about it last week and in today's Syracuse.com. In the last 27 years, Syracuse had 5 teams lose 3 nonconference games. 4 of those teams missed the NCAAs. We are already in trouble.

Really getting to the point where I don’t care anymore. Even the way we win is pretty boring. We aren’t fun anymore. Certain people leaving may be what we need.

Have dinner plans tomorrow. I don't even care to check the schedule any more to make sure I'm not missing a game. When I'm home I watch, but the days of making plans around games are long gone.

Have dinner plans tomorrow. I don't even care to check the schedule any more to make sure I'm not missing a game. When I'm home I watch, but the days of making plans around games are long gone.
I'm going to see the Bonnie's play at UVM.

Obviously the season is long, but even putting aside ODU, the Northeastern game was way closer than it should have been. Georgetown was a war at home, and they aren't that good. Outside of results, we've basically played one game this year where we looked like a top 25 team. We have too much talent to be playing like this, and now we've severely limited our margin of error. It sucks.

I’ll be surprised if we beat Buffalo. We don’t match up well. Only hope is that we play with a lot of energy and shoot well. Another lackluster offensive effort isn’t cutting it. A loss and it will be another battle to earn a tourney spot. It’s getting very old.

Wildhack has been great. But make no mistake he is a JB sycophant. Loves JB. JB is here as long as he wants to be and I wonder if he will have a say in the selection of his successor.
No he is not. And no Jim isnt. You have no idea what your talking about.

I didnt read the thread but my answer is: No, the beginning is passed. This week is closer to the middle.

Yesterday was a combination of both poor play offensively and bad luck. Defense was great at times, making a lot of deflections, and at least 5-6 times the ball was deflected back to a ODU player. There were at least 2 shots by ODU that went in after epic rolls. The announcers were saying that ODU has a top defense, and it is unclear how bad our offense really is. If we can eliminate 2-3 stupid turnovers and 2-3 bad shots/bad fouls per game, I think we are going to win most rock fights. We will probably win some big games if we end up on fire shooting something like 60% from 3. Otherwise, I think we are hovering around 50% in the ACC.
Disagree strongly on second half defense. Stith was moved to the foul line in the middle of our zone in the 2nd half and DESTROYED us. No adjustment. Let the zone handle him...lol we saw the results.

How strangely things change. I used to be that way for Cuse Football, now I refuse to schedule anything on a Saturday when we play.

Cuse Basketball, id schedule the gym, dates, meetings around games... now, meh. It also doesn’t help that CBB Regular Seasons are almost pointless.

How strangely things change. I used to be that way for Cuse Football, now I refuse to schedule anything on a Saturday when we play.

Cuse Basketball, id schedule the gym, dates, meetings around games... now, meh. It also doesn’t help that CBB Regular Seasons are almost pointless.

Actually, regular seasons aren’t so pointlesss. We could be in dire straits 11 games into the season. This is looking like an 18-win team.

Actually, regular seasons aren’t so pointlesss. We could be in dire straits 11 games into the season. This is looking like an 18-win team.

I don't feel great about the team or the direction of the program in general, but is it possible we're not quite as good as we hoped after OSU and not quite as bad as we looked Saturday?

I don't feel great about the team or the direction of the program in general, but is it possible we're not quite as good as we hoped after OSU and not quite as bad as we looked Saturday?

I sorta drank the Kool-Aid preseason thinking this could be a 23-win type of team. But I also worried that this goths look a lot like last year, with a stagnant offense. That appears to be the case.

Disagree strongly on second half defense. Stith was moved to the foul line in the middle of our zone in the 2nd half and DESTROYED us. No adjustment. Let the zone handle him...lol we saw the results.

I feel like he got going off some failed press attempts and off some offensive rebounds. He got into some good spots and made them. Then he got heated up against the defense a bit.

But, the same saga usually. So ugly and a rock fight early on. Usually these teams aren’t doing anything early on but neither are we on offense. They hang around. When we do get some separation we don’t have the mentality and/or firepower to keep it going and go for the jugular.

They’ll win 20 at least. You’ve said this like 5 years in a row and we’ve won 20 each time besides one I think. It will be ugly, but JB will find a way to make us competitive every game.

I sorta drank the Kool-Aid preseason thinking this could be a 23-win type of team. But I also worried that this goths look a lot like last year, with a stagnant offense. That appears to be the case.

I drank it as well and thought this was going to be a 2009-14 type season. Felt great after OSU. Thought that would be a spring board for getting them on track.

I hate negativity, but at some point I have to stop fooling myself about where this program is.

They’ll win 20 at least. You’ve said this like 5 years in a row and we’ve won 20 each time besides one I think. It will be ugly, but JB will find a way to make us competitive every game.

I'll give you that... the ODU game was competitive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom