Is this what Providence or Seton Hall felt like in the Big East? | Syracusefan.com

Is this what Providence or Seton Hall felt like in the Big East?

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
I'm begging to wonder, if our opponents today view us as we did those teams, as a 'scrappy' club that sometimes would eek out a win, but otherwise would just be a pesky opponent. A team that would never be considered on 'our' level. Have we reached that status yet? For me, I am sick of being told that we should be "proud" the team hung around or competed with the likes of Duke or UNC. Get outta town with that attitude. We are frickin' Syracuse after all... I yearn for the days we would strike fear into other teams, and they'd have us circled on their calendars as a must see game. It's been far too long.

I'm begging to wonder, if our opponents view us as we did, as a 'scrappy' Big East team that sometimes would eek out a win, but otherwise would just be a pesky opponent. A team that would never be considered on 'our' level. Have we reached that status yet? For me, I am sick of being told that we should be "proud" the team hung around or competed with the likes of Duke or UNC. Get outta town with that attitude. We are frickin' Syracuse after all... I yearn for the days we would strike fear into other teams, and they'd have us circled on their calendars as a must see game. It's been far too long.

Not gonna lie, this thought has crossed my mind. Obviously we are nowhere near their level but perhaps we are viewed by the dukes/uncs

I'm begging to wonder, if our opponents today view us as we did those teams, as a 'scrappy' club that sometimes would eek out a win, but otherwise would just be a pesky opponent. A team that would never be considered on 'our' level. Have we reached that status yet? For me, I am sick of being told that we should be "proud" the team hung around or competed with the likes of Duke or UNC. Get outta town with that attitude. We are frickin' Syracuse after all... I yearn for the days we would strike fear into other teams, and they'd have us circled on their calendars as a must see game. It's been far too long.

What? You mean our record isn't simply reflective of losing because we are the other team's Super Bowl? Well, hell yeah then I'm now concerned that we are actually what our ACC record says we are the past 5 seasons. ;):)

We are 9-6 not 6-9 and have recent tournament success. I'd try again.

Next year is impossible to predict regarding our team and the ACC in general we don't know what Dukes next batch of 1 and dones will look like and UNC and UVA may both be gutted.

I can only assume you have no idea how Providence and Seton Hall did in the early days of the Big East. How sad for you.

I think you guys are getting too caught up in the teams I chose, instead of the gist of what I was saying. Maybe it was a poor example to use those specific teams, but I think generally speaking it's kinda how we are viewed these days. Maybe i'm off base, and i'd be happy/relieved if that were the case.

Maybe not a great example of teams but in the "old days" it seemed like we were always battling 2 or 3 BE teams for being top dog in the conference. Now we seem to be relegated to the also rans with Duke and NC staying atop their anointed ACC position, UVA making a case to join their pedestal and with a Louisville, Syracuse, VA Tech etc. having the capability to upset the apple cart a little bit for season status or upset wins. It just doesn't feel the same and it sucks to be fighting for a mid seed every year at best.

If we were still in the Big East(the one that broke apart in 2013), we’d be in the same position though. Just like we were from 2006-08. Even 2009, we were only 11-7.

Our 2014 team did fine in the ACC, just like our 2010-13 teams would’ve.

We gotta get better.

I think those days are gone. Feels like so long ago.

I can only assume you have no idea how Providence and Seton Hall did in the early days of the Big East. How sad for you.
AND how UCONN did in those days.....that changed for a few championships...... and now is falling back (minus their recent victories over us).

I think you guys are getting too caught up in the teams I chose, instead of the gist of what I was saying. Maybe it was a poor example to use those specific teams, but I think generally speaking it's kinda how we are viewed these days. Maybe i'm off base, and i'd be happy/relieved if that were the case.

I'll say this...

I used to think NC State fans were just a bunch of whiners - always bleating on about getting jobbed by the refs when playing Duke and UNC.

I still think they whine a lot and have a permanent case of "little guy's syndrome" as the ginger stepchild of tobacco road...

But the refs jobbing opponent conference teams when playing the ACC blue bloods - it's real.

We're living through it and will likely have to deal with it as long as we are in this conference.

I'm just thankful football is good again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom