Is Tyson Fury the best heavyweight? | Syracusefan.com

Is Tyson Fury the best heavyweight?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Other than the two knockdowns, he dominated the fight against Wilder. Last night, in two round he showed more skills that than any other current heavyweight- lateral movement, head and body movement, blocking shots, shifting from right-handed to left handed, throwing quick combinations from all angles. He's weird and troubled but I think I'd favor him against anybody else in the division.

Meanwhile, perusing ESPN's divisional rankings, I think the pound for pound best fighter must be this guy "TBA". He seems to be fighting everybody. In t he 17 divisions, there are six bouts among the top three fighters with a specific date against someone else in the top 10 and only one against a fellow top three fighter. And that, again, is what's wrong with boxing. Give us a steady flow of the fights we want!
Divisional rankings: GGG, Oscar Valdez stay put after victories

I feel like he is a character from Peaky Blinders every time I see the Gypsy King.

But he made Klitschko and Wilder look bad.

Not sure he made Wilder look bad, he was on his butt twice.

I think Fury won, but it was close, and probably a coin flip when they face again.

Not sure he made Wilder look bad, he was on his butt twice.

I think Fury won, but it was close, and probably a coin flip when they face again.

He fought well enough to earn a disputed draw, (he probably should have won the fight), despite being down twice. And he's the only guy I've seen who got leveled by Wilder and got up - and he did it twice. The rest of the match Fury constantly frustrated Wilder with his movement, minimized his punches by leaning away from them and scored with counter punches. To get the draw, he needed to win 8 of the other 12 rounds and that was a gift to Wilder.

It reminded me of the Tunney-Dempsey fight where all you see is Tunney goes down and gets a break with the long count but if you look at the whole fight Tunney clearly won it, arguably winning every other round.

Last edited:
I still can't get over him getting up after that punch from Wilder. I thought he was on something. Oh well, we should get to see a rematch so that should settle it. I just hope there's still room for Wilder to become a better boxer and hasn't reached his learning or skill peak yet.

I still can't get over him getting up after that punch from Wilder. I thought he was on something. Oh well, we should get to see a rematch so that should settle it. I just hope there's still room for Wilder to become a better boxer and hasn't reached his learning or skill peak yet.

He needs to use the jab as something other than a range-finder.

He needs to use the jab as something other than a range-finder.
I swear he was in his earlier fights, in fact it was one of the things I liked most about him. Seems to have ignored it lately. Like he didn't have as much confidence in it as his opponents got better?