Is Wichita State's 16 seed going to be a better team than the 2nd place Missouri Valley Team? | Syracusefan.com

Is Wichita State's 16 seed going to be a better team than the 2nd place Missouri Valley Team?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am thinking about this and while Wichita State has a good team I am just wondering if the 16 seed they play in the Tournament will be a better team than the Indiana State squad they beat today. Its hilarious listening to Seth Davis completely ignore the numbers and listen to Gottlieb actually nail it when assessing the Shockers.

I am thinking about this and while Wichita State has a good team I am just wondering if the 16 seed they play in the Tournament will be a better team than the Indiana State squad they beat today. Its hilarious listening to Seth Davis completely ignore the numbers and listen to Gottlieb actually nail it when assessing the Shockers.

2nd place MVC team is Indiana State (RPI 74), and Wichita State is projected by Lunardi to play either Alabama St. (RPI 266) or Utah Valley (RPI 133).

Not likely, but their second (or third I guess) round game will possibly be their toughest game of the year.

Not likely, but their second (or third I guess) round game will possibly be their toughest game of the year.
Wichita State vs Kentucky in the second (third) round. Who ya got?

I personally see them flaming out like St Joes did a few years back.

Wichita for sure, Paypal cal's team is a mess right now, and I think people are underrating the talent that wichita has.

St. Joe's had an NBA backcourt and another frontcourt player who made it to the NBA as well.

Alsacs said:

Not even close

I would like to see Indiana State in one of the 12/13 play in games. I've liked watching them since Odom has been there. And yes, they are way better than a 16 seed, but along with the thread theme, they are not better than their 8 seed opponent. But then again, Wichita State was a 9 seed last year, so they'll play their hearts out.

St. Jose's made the Elite 8.

Think WSU would crush Kentucky.

Second Round they lose. This is exactly like the Zags last year.

Yeah, WSU beat them...on their way to the final four! Am I the only one who thinks that this is a really good squad with a really good coach that has a really good chance of making the final four again? I don't care who you are, it's tough to go undefeated in college bball. Given what Marshall's done at Winthrop and WSU, I'm shocked that he doesn't have the heat that Shaka Smart or that guy whose name I forget who's now coaching at USC does. Marshall's a Virginia native. Would like to see VT cut the cord with Johnson and hire this guy.

Their matchup against whatever 8/9 they play will be their toughest game of the season. Be it UConn, Baylor, K-State, Pitt, whatever.

Their matchup against whatever 8/9 they play will be their toughest game of the season. Be it UConn, Baylor, K-State, Pitt, whatever.

All of those teams are worse than St. Louis on the road. Except maybe UConn.

Second Round they lose. This is exactly like the Zags last year.

Congrats on their undefeated regular season. They won't end that way. I think an athletic scorer (eg, Randle, Parker, Wiggins, Napier) could drop 40 on this team, and win by 15.

I think Florida would beat them by 20.

I think any of the four #1 seeds will be susceptible to a 1/8 or 1/9 matchup this year... with the possible exception of Florida.

I got so sick of hearing about wich state this year but I'm warmimg up to them now. Yes they should beat all the teams they've played BUT the way they have been beating them lately is impressive. They have a lot of talent on that roster and if we don't win it I wouldn't mind if they did.

This is where something like KP is useful because its a fairly good system at trying to rank all 345 teams.

Wichita St's two hardest games per KP were Northern Iowa at (#100) and Indiana St (#108). The MVC has taken a hit for a few reasons
1) Creighton is gone,
2) Typically there was one other team that was competitive, but not so this year. It's also been moving down as a league the last 3 or 4 years (with the exception of Wichita St and Creighton) Certainly not at the heights that it was in 2006, when the MVC had 6 of the top 43 schools in KP.

So how does that compare to other potential #16 seeds? Remember there will be upsets so it will weaken out. But based on the matrix and a few upsets today (Vermont and Davidson going down) here are the current 16 seeds.

AE: Stony Brook 157, Albany 191
SC: Wofford 190, Western Carolina 228
Big Sky: Weber St 196
WAC : Utah Valley St 201
Big South: Coastal Carolina 223
SWAC : Alabama 296 (SWAC - Super Wonderful Awesome Conference)

Also consider that road games vs a 100-110 ish team is about the same as a neutral game vs a 45-55 ish team. So basically the 2 hardest MVC road games Wichita St has played is about equivalent to a 12/13 seed on a neutral court.

So it is a big differrence between Northern Iowa / Indiana St and these 16 seeds. That is not to say that Wichita St has played anyone really in the MVC.. but 16 seeds really suck.

Last edited:
St. Joe's had an NBA backcourt and another frontcourt player who made it to the NBA as well.

Jameer Nelson - 14 seasons in the NBA and counting
Delonte West - 10 seasons in the NBA
Dwayne Jones - Parts of 5 seasons, but only one where he really had an extended stay.

But, that was definitely an outstanding team.