Is Wisconsin like Butler in 2010? | Syracusefan.com

Is Wisconsin like Butler in 2010?

McNabb2Brominski

All Conference
A team that likes to slow it down, long possessions and plays terrific D? Not very athletic but they get it done on the defensive end and score just enough to win. Also both have some good three point shooters. Im concerned this game will be similar to what we witnessed back in 2010.

Wiscy like Butler has a very low turnover rate as well.

I absolutely think it will be a "similiar" game.

This is the kind of game however, that make me happy that Syracuse has 5 wins scoring 60 or less. I mean, basically when I made that post I was thinking about this game. 58-56 Orange.

I've been wondering the same thing... along with the Vermont game in 2005. Similarities with teams slowing the pace down. Clutch 3-pt shooting. SU with considerably more turnovers than both Vermont and Butler.

Difference between 2010 and 2012 is that at least a dozen teams have tried that tactic vs us this year already, so we will be well prepared for it. We weren't prepared for it in 2010.

Yes, that's exactly what Wisconsin is like, which is why I wanted to face Vanderbilt. Having said that, I feel much better about our half court offense against the man-to-man than I am against the zone. I think the major difference is that we're much better at beating people off the dribble in man-to-man situations than we were that year. Waiters, Scoop, Triche, and KJo this year are much better penetrators than sophomore Scoop, freshman Triche, Andy Rautins and Wes Johnson in my opinion.

it may be similar from how wisconsin plays but butler had a couple of guys to take you off the dribble and a true low post player in howard . also, unlike butler we will have plenty of tape on how wisconsin has handled playing against good ballclubs. does anyone in the b10 play a good amt of zone?

I would not be surprised to see Bo Ryan switch it up and come out in a zone to throw us off

Difference between 2010 and 2012 is that at least a dozen teams have tried that tactic vs us this year already, so we will be well prepared for it. We weren't prepared for it in 2010.

Exactly.

Wisconsin does not have the inside players that Butler had. They also dont as well as Butler did in 2010.

If we defend the three and continue to attack the basket we should win the game.

A team that likes to slow it down, long possessions and plays terrific D? Not very athletic but they get it done on the defensive end and score just enough to win. Also both have some good three point shooters. Im concerned this game will be similar to what we witnessed back in 2010.

I think we make too much of that loss to Butler, probably because that was an upset, and we had a team that could have won it all, even without Arinze. Rick Jackson was an absolute disaster that game. If he had even an average day, we would never think twice about Butler.

I think a lot of people will like this comparison, but I think that Butler team was much more talented than this Wisconsin team. People forget that Butler had one player go in the top-10 of the 2010 draft (Hayward) that year and another that went early in the second round in 2011 (Mack).

I don't think Wisconsin has anyone as talented as either of those two players on their team. Their styles may be similar, but I think Wisconsin this year is a poor-man's 2010 Butler (when Butler was playing their best ball). I just don't think Wisconsin has the 'dudes' that Butler did.

Yes, I think there are similarities between Wisky and Butler.

The difference is this SU squad has experienced guards handling the ball vs the inexperienced 2010 Scoop/Brandon. This difference has shown up in several earlier games and the success against Pitt/LVille and Marquette this year. We have the players this year to deal with that style.

Basically that team had 6 players and kris,triche, rick did nothing in that game . This team is deeper and more athletic than that team, wes was a jumpshooter, andy was never a guy who could break you down off the dribble. Scoop,Kris were sophs and triche was a freshman and not the leaders of the team. Scoop,Kris are now seniors but you also have people like James,Triche juniors they remember and no one on that team was like waiters who in man to man is a nightmare matchup. If they stay in man to man waiters might have 15 freethrows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom