Is WVU worth all the baggage they would bring along? | Syracusefan.com

Is WVU worth all the baggage they would bring along?

Garrett_TD23

Walk On
There are alot of southern school fans who love for the ACC to take WVU because of their rabid fan base, passion for football and they will already have rivalries with 3 ACC schools; Pitt, VT and UMd. Small market argument aside, are their fans really as bad as their reputation at home and away games? Are they actually worth taking?

I think West Va. is entertaining enough and would be a great addition for fans of any conference for the couch burning references alone.

There are alot of southern school fans who love for the ACC to take WVU because of their rabid fan base, passion for football and they will already have rivalries with 3 ACC schools; Pitt, VT and UMd. Small market argument aside, are their fans really as bad as their reputation at home and away games? Are they actually worth taking?

Folks from there get defensive when I tell the story and act like it must have been an outlier, but that's the only road game where I've been threatened, had things thrown at me, etc (for doing nothing other than walking around campus pregame). Post game (very close win by wvu in the mcnabb/amos zeroue era), students rushed the field and they (and the band because they were in the wrong place) got pepper sprayed. Locals were very nice, so it was 100% a drunk student issue.

I figured it must of have been the drunk student issues. Does not help their image wearing "Eat Sh1tt Pitt" shirts on national television either. West Virginia mountain folk usually has a reputation of humilty and hospitality. If Notre Dame and PSU reject the ACC's invite, then WVU seems like the next logical choice for one of those remaining spots. I'm not opposed to it.

Those are exactly the type of people I want in the football AND basketball conference.

I think West Va. is entertaining enough and would be a great addition for fans of any conference for the couch burning references alone.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

These conferences have some backwards priorities. Academics? In high level college athletics? Adding jokes about burning couches and inbreeding inbreeding on burning couches are true value props that matter.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

These conferences have some backwards priorities. Academics? In high level college athletics? Adding jokes about burning couches and inbreeding inbreeding on burning couches are true value props that matter.
I see what you did there and it's rather funny.
:rolling:

The WVU fans I've encountered at the Dome and at the BET in NYC I liked. They were humble, polite, and fun. But I've never been to Morgantown.

I've enjoyed Morgantown; most locals were knowledgeable and cool, some are aggressive drunks. Kinda like Syracuse, actually.

I'd love for them to stay with us, but if the academics don't cut it, they don't cut it. I don't see much compelling reason to drop the standards for any team.

I like heading to Morgantown for the most part...its one of the roadtrips that you can get away with all sorts of crapola. Some decent bars on High Street...However, I won't miss getting stuck in the upper deck once with one of my friends and they tried to light his jacket on fire. Safe to say the jacket did not make it home.

I had a pretty decent time in Morgantown last year. Then again, we won. I have no idea what the crowd would be like following a win for the home side. They were all fairly stunned and out of it.

The reason WVU was rejected by the SEC and ACC is the limited size and scope of their television market. Period. Remember, it's all about $$$, folks.

I was in Morgantown last year for the first time, even was at the WVU homecoming parade, everybody was friendly to me and I concur with Nails that there was no real heckling by the home fans because they were in shock and we were ecstatic. But even during the game, only remarks of friendly strife. I hope they come to the ACC, They won't let go of this concerning the 'Cuse just like they don't let go of Marvin Graves.

I think they are. The fan base are about as rabid as any and they are almost always a competitive team in both basketball and football. The students are very rowdy to say the least but the actual fans and alumni at the game usually are pretty respectful, there are definitely some outliers though. The students will do just about anything though, usually the freshman and sophomores because most are the dumb kids that are going to fail out that come from the state of WVA. The upperclassmen are still drunk but most are the kids that are left and are at WVU because the scholarship money was good and are fairly mannered, for the most part. That said those fans that are terrible, are terrible in every sense of the word.

On a side not, I always liked the whole couch burning tradition, it made me laugh. I know that for the LSU game this week, they sent out emails to the students barring street fires, I doubt that stops anybody though haha