It Ain’t Over. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It Ain’t Over.

The hour drive home last night sucked but by the time I got there I got my optimism back. Our at-large hopes aren't shattered unless we go 0-2 between now and next Wednesday night. And even then we're a team full of shooters and matchup problems if there was ever a year to make a sneaky ACCT run its this one.

Eternal optimism is the essence of what makes sports so great so I'm going to hold onto that as long as I can (probably to my own detriment)

It certainly isn't over. But right now feels like a game of Risk, when you don't control any more full continents so you're just getting the minimum 3 pieces each turn, and you know you're circling the drain.

(yes, I play that game on my iPad on flights to pass time)
We're certainly up against it.
As if the Orange are stuck in Kamchatka...Irkutsk and Yakutsk are pressing us in the corner and we're out of timeouts.

At this point, the NIT isn't a given, especially with Hughes' injury and the uncertainty of it. Groin injuries, as are hammy's, can linger for sometime, and it doesn't take much to tweak it again if not fully recovered in an attempt to come back too soon.

Our next two games we will be considerable dogs, so that likely places us at 14-12. All of our remaining games afterwards are certainly winnable, but they just as easy can be L's, even with Hughes back for those.
Sure, we still need to perform.

That said, we're a big snag for the NIT. It's a win for them to have our program in their field. Especially as a host site. If the NCAA is out of reach, the NIT will want to lock us in.

Well we can’t lose the next 2 so let’s see if we get that much needed marquee win. Either will do.

We have zero home advantage. We have 5 ACC home losses and a loss to Iowa. The students are a disgrace. The University needs to start selling the seats to real fans. They have shown up for only Virginia and Duke. We will miss out on the tournament because we have been very average at home. You can’t keep losing to average teams at home. Duke is the only above average team that beat us at the Dome.

I think Iowa has shown to be a pretty solid team other than the game a week or so ago vs Purdue when Purdue couldn't miss. Other than that, I would agree with you.

Home court advantage changes from year to year. In 2017 we were 8-1 at home in the league and won 2 road games.

The hour drive home last night sucked but by the time I got there I got my optimism back. Our at-large hopes aren't shattered unless we go 0-2 between now and next Wednesday night. And even then we're a team full of shooters and matchup problems if there was ever a year to make a sneaky ACCT run its this one.

Eternal optimism is the essence of what makes sports so great so I'm going to hold onto that as long as I can (probably to my own detriment)
Exactly. If you can’t find any reason to have hope then there is no reason to be a sports fan. Every game we play in every sport I think there is a chance to win. No matter who we play

I don’t know. Watching this GT-Louisville game, I am hopeful that Louisville could be the one we steal.

Mack did a poor job coaching how to attack the zone last year

I agree that we shouldn’t give up hope. But I think the more likely scenario for Cuse to make the dance is making a run in the ACC tournament.

To do that, they need to avoid the 6 or 7 seed. If they get the 6 or 7 they will likely have to beat all 3 of Duke, Florida State, and Louisville. I don’t like those chances!
Well if we do win that game we’re gonna run to one of those teams right after that so what’s the difference. Winning one game in the ACC tournament most likely is not going to make a difference

Apropos of nothing, Lenny Kravitz' It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over is my go to song to sing in the shower.

This is the year we win the ACC tournament
I think you have a solid thought there. Had not thought about it before but our ploy is to look like we are beatable by losing in conference games. Then turn the tables on everyone in ACCT. Out of no where comes the 3 point barrage we have been waiting on all season and the zone falls into place. This will be enjoyable.

When we got to that Clemson game (4 games back now), it could be argued that we could absorb four losses over the final 12 games. (Some could argue 5 losses with the right mix)

So you do the math, and we have not used them all up. The problem is we used up 3 in 4 games -- that really crushes your hope over the last 8 games. The path is still there, our chances just get less and less realistic by the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom