It is 2:50 pm and... | Syracusefan.com

It is 2:50 pm and...

stuckinbig11

All American
"Georgetown will offer an admissions edge to descendants of slaves as part of a comprehensive atonement for the university's historical ties to slavery, its president announced Thursday. Those ties go back nearly two centuries, when the Washington, D.C., school sold 272 slaves and used the proceeds to pay off debt."

"Georgetown will offer an admissions edge to descendants of slaves as part of a comprehensive atonement for the university's historical ties to slavery, its president announced Thursday. Those ties go back nearly two centuries, when the Washington, D.C., school sold 272 slaves and used the proceeds to pay off debt."
It seems like a nice gesture, until you remember how much Georgetown still sucks! If they'd really wanted to help, they'd have offered scholarships to legit institutions with decent athletic programs.

Affirmative action isn't enough.
How do you prove descendency?
If you are descended from tribes that sold slaves to the slave traders, do you lose points?
Is Gtown saying slave descendants can't gain admission fairly? Isn't that racist? How about free tuition if you are descended from one of the 272? Would that not be more fair and just?

Unbelievable. That school REALLY is messed up.

Affirmative action isn't enough.
How do you prove descendency?
If you are descended from tribes that sold slaves to the slave traders, do you lose points?
Is Gtown saying slave descendants can't gain admission fairly? Isn't that racist? How about free tuition if you are descended from one of the 272? Would that not be more fair and just?
The only fair solution would be to give free tuition to descendants. But that would cost the school other than other worthy candidates.

GEORGETOWN STILL SUCKS
Had to be said

You have a serious
image.jpeg

with those people. And I love it.

Opening up a can of worms. If one of these descendants applies and doesn't get in, look for some lawsuits.

Honestly, im not so sure this will help the situation, some people say these programs can do more harm than good, but im all for trying to make progress and seeing what works and what doesn't. Education really is the key in my mind.

This is sort of hilarious. I don't know whats more amusing, the fact that they are doing this or the fact they think it actually atones for jack squat

No one should get carried away about this. The "edge" that the school is suggesting is roughly equivalent to the Legacy edge they give today to the children of GU alumni.

I can tell you that after living among so many Georgetown alums for so long the edge their kids get isn't much. It's a tie-breaker between two equally qualified candidates.

Every Spring I hear the belly aching about how little Kevin or Meghan didn't get into the parent's Alma Mater. Only later to find out that the kid ended up at St Joe's or Fordham suggesting to me that the kid wasn't close to qualifying for Georgetown and that the only thing they had going for them was the parent's alumni status.

Admitting someone to a school they aren't academically prepared for doesn't do anyone a favor. They sit there in class for however many years they stick it out mystified by the class material and the professor. They may graduate --- as its almost impossible to fail out of these schools --- but they haven't gotten anything close to what their classmates out of the experience. I'm of the opinion that the majority of the GU basketball players fit into that category.