It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now | Syracusefan.com

It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I friggin despise UConn with some of the luck they've had over the years and cannot stand anything about his personality, but they are 64-11 in the last two seasons averaging 80ppg while giving up 65. It's not like he's doing it with blue chip recruits either. Surely Clingan and Castle were highly ranked, but the top 3 scorers were not in the top 100 out of HS. He gets guys who play to his system and his system is better than anyone else's right now.

I pray they lose and I really wish UK would fire Calipari to hire Hurley.

Yeah, they've certainly been lucky in years past and this really isn't that now. They are a legit powerhouse that seems destined to go back-to-back. Makes me sick.

No denying it, wonder if hed ever leave for nba? Dont see it honestly with that personality

I friggin despise UConn with some of the luck they've had over the years and cannot stand anything about his personality, but they are 64-11 in the last two seasons averaging 80ppg while giving up 65. It's not like he's doing it with blue chip recruits either. Surely Clingan and Castle were highly ranked, but the top 3 scorers were not in the top 100 out of HS. He gets guys who play to his system and his system is better than anyone else's right now.

Fully agree - except for the "luck" part. Like him or not, there is no denying how dominant and well coached his teams are. I don't think this is a function of his system as much as it is his ability to get his players to execute and play with hyperintensity on both ends.

Fully agree - except for the "luck" part. Like him or not, there is no denying how dominant and well coached his teams are. I don't think this is a function of his system as much as it is his ability to get his players to execute and play with hyperintensity on both ends.
I didn't say Hurley was lucky. I was speaking to UConns "luck" over the years.

THIS. UConn has had the seas part for them MULTIPLE times on the way to their Natty wins.
It's utterly uncanny how many times they've been the benefactor of the bracket they're in getting nuked.
The good news is this year there aren’t any Cinderella stories and the top seeds have remained intact so far. If they are going to repeat this year they will have a difficult road.

UConn has elevated the standard in a BIG way. Hurley runs a professional operation there. I’m starting to think that even if we can out recruit ratings wise in the coming years, it doesn’t really matter unless we can match UConn with the development and team building that they are doing at an exceptional level. I’m hopeful our coaches understand this because we have to assume that UConn will continue to be relentless moving forward and if we want to ever even discuss winning another national championship again, we have to rise to that level and even go beyond because Hurley is only 51. He can very well just be in the beginning of his prime.

Between UCONN's men's and women's basketball programs what they have accomplished over the past quarter century is beyond dazzling. They are a machine . . . a basketball assembly line of National Championships.

We should stop raging and start taking notes. Not a fan of theirs, but let's face facts, no one does it more consistently, or gets better results than UCONN's men's AND women's basketball teams.

As a fan of excellence, I appreciate what they have accomplished.

Last edited:
They play consistently harder than any team in the country. Add that to talent and system. The guy is going to be a juggernaut there and we need to stop whining about their excellence and try to mirror it.

I would say he's the "Most Effective" HC in D1 men's basketball..

I wouldn't say "Best Coach"... "Best" includes a host of positive behavioral character traits Hurley doesn't possess.

In other words, he's acts like a dee-bag in public way too often... but that aside, he IS most effective D1 men's b-ball HC in the country.

Lengthy article but it provides a nice sense of the offensive scheme Hurley has put in place.
And a little more about him and his personality.

No iso-ball.
Perhaps something the Orange need to shake.

They play consistently harder than any team in the country. Add that to talent and system. The guy is going to be a juggernaut there and we need to stop whining about their excellence and try to mirror it.
They’ve played hard on D since he stepped foot on campus. Now they have figured out the offensive side too. They could rattle of two or three more titles if he’s able to keep the core intact.

Lengthy article but it provides a nice sense of the offensive scheme Hurley has put in place.
And a little more about him and his personality.

No iso-ball.
Perhaps something the Orange need to shake.

Really interesting article. Thanks for the link Col. Bleep

People have a hard time seeing it, but Red was trying to run a motion offense based on read and react concepts, spacing, screening, cutting, and ball movement. It devolved into "iso ball" because of the player's decision making and execution. But not because he was running an isolation system. The efficiency of a motion based offense is a process.

They’ve played hard on D since he stepped foot on campus. Now they have figured out the offensive side too. They could rattle of two or three more titles if he’s able to keep the core intact.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Yeah, I know what you meant. I think the luck thing is overplayed.
It’s an interesting take that having to beat a team that just beat a supposedly better team is luck.

I think this belongs in the "I hate" thread going on!