Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59)

Carey struggling is not a surprise. Let’s see where he is come November. But I suspect he’s going to be looking over his shoulder at Goodine.

Edwards and Ajak won’t play much unless we have foul trouble. One may RS.

NO this "dude" didn't write him off completely.
This is your post:
Edwards sounds like a RS candidate or someone who will only play out of desperation (for this season).

You suggest redshirting Edwards based on what you heard/read in a game-thread. That's funny. It just is. And if you cannot see the humor or farcical nature of that, I cannot help you. Does that mean you're a bad guy or don't know basketball? No.

I also don't have any hill to die on for Edwards. I don't know the guy. I, too, have never seen him play. But, I am not going to form any drastic conclusions tonight. I'll wait and see!

He

Did he not shoot much because he couldn't make plays for himself/create enough space, or was he just much more of a 'team player' than we've seen in his HS/all-star games?
He was able to get off some good shots but he didn’t make them, even when he was set up. That changed in the second half when he had more success. And he was definitely a team player. Not a ball hog at all. I really look forward to his time here.

This is your post:
Edwards sounds like a RS candidate or someone who will only play out of desperation (for this season).

You suggest redshirting Edwards based on what you heard/read in a game-thread. That's funny. It just is. And if you cannot see the humor or farcical nature of that, I cannot help you. Does that mean you're a bad guy or don't know basketball? No.

I also don't have any hill to die on for Edwards. I don't know the guy. I, too, have never seen him play. But, I am not going to form any drastic conclusions tonight. I'll wait and see!

I agree that he is almost certainly stuck behind BS and MD this year. But in fairness to Edwards, it seems that he missed most if not all of the team's official pre-Italy practices, so it's not surprising that he looked rusty and out of sync today. See:

Pre-Italy Trip Practice Prep For Orange - Syracuse University Athletics

And as I posted earlier, he did have 7 rebounds in 17-1/2 minutes of playing time, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

This is your post:

The infighting is in mid-season form.

I’m not going back to reread all the bickering, but couldn’t that statement have been made as a result of this game’s commentary PLUS whatever we’ve read on seen prior to today? As in: nothing said today dispels the perspective that maybe he’s a good RS candidate?

Heckfire — there’s a lot of current talk about how much we wished BJ had redshirted. That’s on a lot of minds. So maybe it’s a premature thought here. People like to predict and people like to be ‘first on their block.’ Either way, there have certainly been worse posts.

I agree that he is almost certainly stuck behind BS and MD this year. But in fairness to Edwards, it seems that he missed most if not all of the team's official pre-Italy practices, so it's not surprising that he looked rusty and out of sync today. See:

Pre-Italy Trip Practice Prep For Orange - Syracuse University Athletics

And as I posted earlier, he did have 7 rebounds in 17-1/2 minutes of playing time, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Certainly not writing him off, the 7 board is certainly promising and dare I say impressive. We need all the help we can get at C based on Sidibe's unfortunate injury history so if he can make an impact and get some PT that is a great sign.

There were some good plays to Sidibe down low which he looked very comfortable in handling. Saw some nice feeds to him from Carey and Washington. What I don't know is if this is a strategy JB wants to explore more this year or if it was just the fact the guards were making good decisions. If it is the "former" then our pick and roll will not just be window dressing this year. Would be nice to see regardless.

Maybe it was the shorter shot clock, but I thought our offence was more uptempo than in recent years.

Those uniforms today "SUCKED". Just my very humble opinion.

So... catching up on the posts made during the game, is it safe to say:

• Sidibe looks like he's moving pain-free, and has regained his explosiveness?
  • Sidibe looks way more aggressive offensively than in the past?
  • Buddy / Girard can really shoot the rock?
  • Guerrier is physically ready to play college ball, and has a decent offensive game?
  • Goodine shoots much better than expected?
  • Girard is better overall than what many / most expected?
  • Carey is still inconsistent?

I would say yes, Sidibe looks pain free, and also bigger and stronger than before.

Nothing about Sidibe's offensive game really stood out to me, it was defensively where he impressed me. He dominated everybody they had (both the bigger guys and the smaller guys because sometimes they went small). We looked worse when he was on the bench.

Girard hit two 3's, both WIDE open. Nothing crazy. What impressed me about Girard was his ball handling and passing, which were very good. Still I think its safe to say that both Buddy and Girard can shoot the rock, yes, its just that we knew that before this game.

Guerrier looked really good, really strong, and really skilled. I'm excited about his potential.

I thought Goodine was going to be a really good shooter. I was very high on Goodine coming in. I still think he can shoot the ball and defend better than most freshman do. I'm less high on him overall, because his foot speed and ability to get past a defender didn't seem quite there yet.

Carey is still inconsistent. I have noticed that the box score only has him with 2 turnovers and the bigs with a whole bunch. That doesn't quite match my memory. My guess is the bigs got credit for turnovers on a couple of bad passes that might have gotten to their hands in a tough spot but probably shouldn't have been thrown at all. Maybe i'll go back and watch for that since I paid way too much to watch these games in the first place.

Last edited:
Based on JB’s comments after the game it seems like Goodine could push Carey for the lead guard role. Wouldn’t be surprised if those guys split minutes this year.

Forgive me if I missed the answer earlier, but does anyone know definitively if these uniforms are one-offs for the Italy trip or are they new uniforms for this season?