Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59)

For those that watched: if/when Carey struggles in October v. UVA’s pressure D, who replaces him at the point? sounds like Goodine is good defensively and a knock down shooter but not a creator yet. Girard isn’t there yet defensively but can shoot and created some today with a good looking handle. My biggest concern for this team is a consistent ball handler. Carey scares me and the Freshman are not true points. Girard may be the savor eventually — I love his toughness and IQ — but will he be ready this year? Goodine has the highest ceiling imo but it doesn’t seem he will be ready to play point for extended stretches right away either.

For those that watched: if/when Carey struggles in October v. UVA’s pressure D, who replaces him at the point? sounds like Goodine is good defensively and a knock down shooter but not a creator yet. Girard isn’t there yet defensively but can shoot and created some today with a good looking handle. My biggest concern for this team is a consistent ball handler. Carey scares me and the Freshman are not true points. Girard may be the savor eventually — I love his toughness and IQ — but will he be ready this year? Goodine has the highest ceiling imo but it doesn’t seem he will be ready to play point for extended stretches right away either.

This factor is being overlooked. We’re very young and inexperienced at the point. There’s going to be growing pains.

He was able to get off some good shots but he didn’t make them, even when he was set up. That changed in the second half when he had more success. And he was definitely a team player. Not a ball hog at all. I really look forward to his time here.
I really wonder though what JB was thinking when Joe took what must've been a 3 from 30 feet out!

They don't play much defense. Jalen still hasn't looked great. Mind you, I missed half the game so far because the stream is bad.
Stream is not bad its worthless.

He mentions JBA a couple times...wonder if they like what's hes been doing in practice? Would have loved to see him on this trip...such a bummer he couldn't go.

Very very interesting. JB throwing praise then quickly pulling it back lol. No need to get Quincy thinking NBA already. Color be intrigued and now bummed being without JBA. Even the Jessie comment was good as he mentioned him being a little behind given the lack of practice.

So really we have nothing but growth to be aiming for this year. Minimal bad habits or attitudes to overcome. Cautiously optimistic this could be a fun year. Will results come with the fun? Sure hope so but the chance to see these kids grow definitely is a plus coming off a few years of frustration from in fulfilled expectations.

I can't speak for him, but I would guess it probably isn't solely based off of a game that he didn't watch. If he's saying he's a redshirt candidate based on having never watched him play before or read anything about him, then yeah, I agree that it's ridiculous, but I doubt that's what happened.
can tell you for sure that the coaches love him. I don't know how much he will play but a coach did say out loud that he might start.

can tell you for sure that the coaches love him. I don't know how much he will play but a coach did say out loud that he might start.

Maybe we get a chance to see why as he gets back into the flow after missing practice.

All the goofy posts in this thread and my question about the uniforms is what got ya?

the uniforms suck, I assume they are just summer scrimmage unis......kind of like practice pinnies? I hope.

This year? I don't know much about him and wouldn't base anything on this game, but common sense suggests that their is little chance outside of a rash of injuries that he starts this season.

I really wonder though what JB was thinking when Joe took what must've been a 3 from 30 feet out!
njcnu.jpg

the uniforms suck, I assume they are just summer scrimmage unis...kind of like practice pinnies? I hope.

Yep, OX confirmed they were practice jerseys a few posts up thread.

I really hope Hughes can do more off the bounce this year because that pull up triple is a thing of beauty and such a weapon. A la how Jdub and Gmac used it so effectively in most recent memory.

Also with his size, it is a next level skill. Unlike Tyus he is pure with getting his feet set and follow through. More 4-9, 5-10 nights vs 2-9 though Mr Hughes.

Lucky for us UVA will be fairly young in the backcourt as well

Marek playing 4 exclusively?! How do you get hughes guerrier and marek in the starting line up then if Carey and buddy are locks?

If Carey struggles and goodine isn’t ready to play point right away then you go with hwash you is a pure PG. that still gives us 3 scorers on offense possibly 4 if Edwards can stretch it with his shooting.

I really like this team. It has amazing potential. We haven’t had these many chess pieces for Jimmy to play with since 2014 final four team if I recollect correctly.

Marek playing 4 exclusively?! How do you get hughes guerrier and marek in the starting line up then if Carey and buddy are locks?

If Carey struggles and goodine isn’t ready to play point right away then you go with hwash you is a pure PG. that still gives us 3 scorers on offense possibly 4 if Edwards can stretch it with his shooting.

I really like this team. It has amazing potential. We haven’t had these many chess pieces for Jimmy to play with since 2014 final four team if I recollect correctly.

Guard rotation of: Carey, Buddy, and either Goodine or Girard. Maybe a 4th guard gets some run too for much of the year.

Forward rotation: Hughes, Guerrier, Marek

Centers: Sidibe and one of the freshmen?