Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59)

Marek playing 4 exclusively?! How do you get hughes guerrier and marek in the starting line up then if Carey and buddy are locks?

If Carey struggles and goodine isn’t ready to play point right away then you go with hwash you is a pure PG. that still gives us 3 scorers on offense possibly 4 if Edwards can stretch it with his shooting.

I really like this team. It has amazing potential. We haven’t had these many chess pieces for Jimmy to play with since 2014 final four team if I recollect correctly.

They’ll play Girard at the point some if Carey and Goodine struggle. Washington isn’t ready.

Marek playing 4 exclusively?! How do you get hughes guerrier and marek in the starting line up then if Carey and buddy are locks?

If Carey struggles and goodine isn’t ready to play point right away then you go with hwash you is a pure PG. that still gives us 3 scorers on offense possibly 4 if Edwards can stretch it with his shooting.

I really like this team. It has amazing potential. We haven’t had these many chess pieces for Jimmy to play with since 2014 final four team if I recollect correctly.
J.B. says it now but in games where Bourama is in early foul trouble i think Marek will get time at the 5, especially since our other options are 2 true freshman

I think come ACC play we will see roughly:

G1: Carey (25 mpg), Goodine (15 mpg)
G2: Buddy (25 mpg), Girard (10 mpg), Goodine (5 mpg)
F1: Hughes (32 mpg), Marek (8 mpg)
F2: QG (28 mpg), Marek (12 mpg)
C: BS (22 mpg), JBA (10 mpg), Marek (5 mpg), Edwards (3 mpg)

Total minutes:

Hughes: 32
QG: 28
Marek: 25
Carey: 25
Buddy: 25
Bourama: 22
Goodine: 20
Girard: 10
JBA: 10
Edwards: 3

J.B. says it now but in games where Bourama is in early foul trouble i think Marek will get time at the 5, especially since our other options are 2 true freshman

Total minutes:

Agreed - I think when it comes to Girard and Goodine , and even all the guards for that matter it is going to come down to playing the hot hand. Similar to previous years where you really don't have two guards who are head and shoulders above the rest. I could definitely see the 3rd guard being a rotating position.

For instance, teams that don't want to pressure the ball- you could go 3 deep in shooters with JG3, Buddy and Elijah. With teams that want to guard 90 ft, Carey and Goodine together with Hughes and also Marek too. Ball handling by committee.

I don't expect it but still want to keep an eye on Howard Washington and how he looks as he mixes in here and there. He has a steady hand and approach. Can he translate that to being a dark horse to get minutes?? Not expecting it but if the youngsters aren't able to keep their TO's down...

Total minutes:

I’d suspect that in the big games, you could take Girard and JBA’s 20, and give 5 more minutes each to Buddy, Hughes, Marek, and Guerrier.

So doing a little research- Illinois played a different version of this team we played today and destroyed them. They also dismantled nearly every team they played in their Italy tour. Some common names from the Varese team today - looks like 4 guys from same team. Here is the box score from their game vs Illinois.
IMG_20190812_224251.jpg

So doing a little research- Illinois played a different version of this team we played today and destroyed them. They also dismantled nearly every team they played in their Italy tour. Some common names from the Varese team today - looks like 4 guys from same team. Here is the box score from their game vs Illinois.View attachment 168517

Persanato had 16 against us and 5 vs. Illinois.

This trip needed to happen. Too many new parts to start the season without playing games. Wouldn’t shock me if we lost a game or two, either, to be honest.

So doing a little research- Illinois played a different version of this team we played today and destroyed them. They also dismantled nearly every team they played in their Italy tour. Some common names from the Varese team today - looks like 4 guys from same team. Here is the box score from their game vs Illinois.View attachment 168517
16-24 from 3 will pretty much destroy any team you play

Backcourt of Goodine and Boeheim/ JG3 for scoring, Goodine and Carey for length and defense. A lot more combos and options we have had in the past. JG3 two shooters could also be in play but limiting on defense

16-24 from 3 will pretty much destroy any team you play

Completely agree just wanted to share as point of reference. Illinois went 3-1 on their trip. They lit up the competition first 3 games all blowouts then lost to the Netherlands National B team.

Results aren't the key here by any means. Definitely hope to see us shoot it better if we are getting the looks we want. I expect with the first one out of the way it should help the boys settle in a bit more.

Persanato had 16 against us and 5 vs. Illinois.

This trip needed to happen. Too many new parts to start the season without playing games. Wouldn’t shock me if we lost a game or two, either, to be honest.

No doubt. We need to remain optimistic about this season, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we struggle at times. Just so many new faces.

How optimistic should I be about Carey's 6 assists in 15 minutes? We just talkin' about basic passes to 3 point shooters or some nice dishes?

I didn't read all 15 pages but saw some comments about more sloppy play from him. Only 2 turnovers, but I assume he had ball control issues that would have been exploited more by a more athletic team?

I didn't pony up for the lousy stream and I'd like to thank the people who did for reporting their observations. Observations are valuable, conclusions less so. I fully agree that the big news is that Sidibe looked healthy and played well. If that holds up, it will be a massive upgrade over what we've had at center the last couple of years. I think JB wants to see if he, Edwards and Bol Ajak can handle the position so that Marek can play his natural position of forward. I'm not worried about having too many guards or forwards. If more than two of each show they can play, they will play. All I've seen are the highlights, (we shot 100%), but I think we're going to enjoy watching JG3 this year.

IMO shots will fall, need some more cohesiveness overall. I cant think of many teams we will see state side that are that well coached fundamentally. I'm still excited for more.

Watching on the Apple TV app. Is anyone else’s stream choppy?

The worst part of this is that the replay is choppy as well, I watched a few hours after the game. I guess the replay is an actual recording of the stream, and not the content from the source?

Total minutes:

I don't think there's any way they're playing 10 guys in ACC games. Plan on 8 guys, 7 if Jim doesn't think either of the new centers are playable. They only had 7 guys average 10 minutes per conference game the last 4 years (it would go back 7 years if you don't count McCullough's 3 games!) My prediction for the ACC lineup-
Starters
G-whoever separates themselves between Carey, Goodine, and JG3
G-Buddy
F-Hughes
F-Dolezaj
C-Sidibe
Bench
-Guerrier
-Two of Carey, Goodine, JG3.. Whoever isn't starting.
Break Glass in case of emergency
-Braswell (literally just going off of posts in here about him not making an impact on the first Italy game, he stands to improve his role the most)
-JBA, and Edwards (again just going off of second hand accounts of one game I didn't watch, if either one is playable they'll probably leapfrog Braswell and one of the backup guards)
-Washington
-Belbey, Giancola, Lavalle, Paul... idk Dungey

App for the streaming site or something else?
It’s an app for FloSports. But it doesn’t make the stream any better. Production quality is amateur at best. Looks like someone is basically streaming live video from the game off an iPhone set up on a tripod. Hoping the other 3 games are better quality, but game 1 was not too great.

I didn't pony up for the lousy stream and I'd like to thank the people who did for reporting their observations. Observations are valuable, conclusions less so. I fully agree that the big news is that Sidibe looked healthy and played well. If that holds up, it will be a massive upgrade over what we've had at center the last couple of years. I think JB wants to see if he, Edwards and Bol Ajak can handle the position so that Marek can play his natural position of forward. I'm not worried about having too many guards or forwards. If more than two of each show they can play, they will play. All I've seen are the highlights, (we shot 100%), but I think we're going to enjoy watching JG3 this year.

I agree on JG3. It was just a couple highlights but the lob and then the quick pass downlow show solid bball iq. Also, on the lob it was an instinctive response to dealing with help defenders. One thing that his experience of being double and triple teamed for years will help with is that piece.

The worst part of this is that the replay is choppy as well, I watched a few hours after the game. I guess the replay is an actual recording of the stream, and not the content from the source?
Try this --- in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, click on the little cog wheel. This is where you can adjust the video quality. Try lowering to a lower frame rate. This should reduce or eliminate the choppiness. Worked for me.