Ithaca College | Syracusefan.com

Ithaca College

SU91

2nd String
Hi. My son is looking at schools. Is very interested in Ithaca College, specifically the music school (wants to go for violin performance).

Does anyone know anything about the school? Experience there? Reputation? Good school or bad school? Compared to other schools?

Kid is a good student. 3.9 GPA. 1510 SAT. Already admitted to Ithaca. Wants to go mainly because of music school. I remember Ithaca being an okay, but not great school. Does it still have that reputation?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about Ithaca College really, but congrats on your son's achievement and admission. I imagine with those stats he'll qualify for a lot of merit aid at all but the most selective schools.

My sister went to Ithaca and had a great experience. She went through their Physical Therapy program and has done very well for herself.

She also minored in music and had really good training. I’m checking with a musician friend now on the quality of the music school - I think it’s one of the better ones in the Northeast.

Edit: Musician friend says Ithaca's music school is very good, on par with Potsdam's. (My friend is a Potsdam grad, for reference).

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time up there over the years and have had a few friends whose kids attended school there. Most for physical therapy and one for communications which I think IC has pretty solid program. None for music though. They all seemed to really enjoy it and I know they have nice facilities as well for the most part, they have spent quite a bit of money there over the years. Freshman dorms are still pretty standard stuff but It's a solid school and pretty nice town to go to school in with Cornell as well. All I got, the students I know who went there all really enjoyed it. Solid d3 sports with a really nice athletic facility for all students that was built 10 years ago or so

Ithaca is a good school but has a few really great programs like the physical therapy and people always speak highly of the communications (Park School) and music school as well. Those are the three that i hear mentioned the most

A little long winded but a good story well told by one of my favorite YouTube personalities and music lovers.

A little long winded but a good story well told by one of my favorite YouTube personalities and music lovers.
I knew Rick a bit from our time at IC. I just watched the video. Steve Brown was one of my favorite professors at IC. I think I took 3 classes with him. I also knew Henry Neubert a bit as well. That was really a trip down memory lane. Watching the video reminded me that Rick had just become a professor at IC himself when I met him.

Last edited:
He’s a very interesting fellow. I could spend a lot of time watching his videos.

Not sure about the music program, but do know the film program is well regarded.

Had a cousin who was a music major there, did ROTC, then the Army band, which allowed him to see the world. Beyond that, I got nothing. I will ask my neighbor, who is a music professor at Oswego. I do know that the Crane School of Music at Potsdam is supposed to be very good. I think Fredonia also has a good program. SU was very generous (full tuition) to another cousin, but he played bassoon. (PSU also offered full tuition.)

Update: neighbor got right back to me: “Ithaca has a very good school of music, so a good choice. Cheaper, but still quite good is SUNY Fredonia. Top music schools in NY are Julliard and Eastman School of Music, but highly competitive to get in. Ithaca is awesome!”
(Note: neighbor got her PhD at Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Her mother sang for the Metropolitan Opera Company. She has a good perspective on this type of thing.) Good luck to your son (and you).

Last edited: