It's amazing... | Syracusefan.com

It's amazing...

Jake

Mod
as a kid growing up I used to get so pissed when national commentators would talk about JB "doing so little with so much talent".

Starting in 1996 and given the past two tournanent runs, he has completely changed his image to "don't let them into the dance, because he can beat you with 5 blind nuns" playing that damn zone.

It's truly a 180.

as a kid growing up I used to get so pissed when national commentators would talk about JB "doing so little with so much talent".

Starting in 1996 and given the past two tournanent runs, he has completely changed his image to "don't let them into the dance, because he can beat you with 5 blind nuns" playing that damn zone.

It's truly a 180.

You’re right Jake. But the original criticism was not wrong.

He’s become a much better coach.

42 years will do that.

This run has me all nostalgic. 1 am having visions of a ‘Cuse vs Kansas regional final and once we get by one wildcat then it is on to Kentucky for a cold main course to bring it all to a nice, neat closure! Let’s go Orange! :cool:

young boeheim seemed to have annual early exits; old boeheim hasn't had a first round loss since texas a&m, 12 years ago. last 8 tournaments, he's been to the 2nd weekend 6 times.

Yep. And it’s not like everyone had Young Boeheim wrong.

He wasn’t a very good coach.

A few decades of experience don’t hurt.

JB has wiped away the ghosts of Navy, Rhode Island, Richmond and Vermont with his runs in 2016 and 2018.

I don't think that's unfair. Good comment.

Yeah, those were rough. He only went 483-159, with two close losses in national championship games.

True in part. He lost versus an undertalented IU team in 87.

I agree on 96. That was his breakthrough as a coach in my view.

But that was year 20.

Yeah, those were rough. He only went 483-159, with two close losses in national championship games.

And let’s not forget he inherited a program that had been to the Final Four the previous year.

I give a lot of credit to latter-day JB.

But he did not create SU basketball.

the reason the 180 perception paradigm shift has occurred is because it is 100 percent true. we went from underachieving with immense talent to an intermediate phase of achieving appropriately to our talent level, to the current iteration of regular season mediocrity with an overachievement in NCAA tourney play. Hopefully in the years to come we get back to adding more talent and retaining the NcAA tourney success.

the reason the 180 perception paradigm shift has occurred is because it is 100 percent true. we went from underachieving with immense talent to an intermediate phase of achieving appropriately to our talent level, to the current iteration of regular season mediocrity with an overachievement in NCAA tourney play. Hopefully in the years to come we get back to adding more talent and retaining the NcAA tourney success.

Stop making sense.

Who’s not happy with winning?

It’s not hard at all.
You’re not happy, you’re critical. I’m not judging, I’m just stating a fact. If that works for you, great, you be you.

You’re not happy, you’re critical. I’m not judging, I’m just stating a fact. If that works for you, great, you be you.

There’s not a conflict between being happy with the immediate and being able to reflect historically.

I’m pleased to be able to walk and chew gum, and yes, that has always worked for me.

There’s not a conflict between being happy with the immediate and being able to reflect historically.

I’m pleased to be able to walk and chew gum, and yes, that has always worked for me.

I think you're trying too hard to sound smarter than the rest of us. We won a game we should have had no chance at because the kids played their asses off on D. It was an outstanding effort that way. Pretty simple, there's not a lot beyond that. Just enjoy it. Good luck with your gum :)

And let’s not forget he inherited a program that had been to the Final Four the previous year.

I give a lot of credit to latter-day JB.

But he did not create SU basketball.
He inherited the remnants of a team that was a year removed from an improbable Final Four run, promptly brought in Bouie and Orr, and went 100-18 in his first four seasons, which might still be a record winning percentage for a D1 coach to start a career.

Last edited:

That’s a decent comeback. I don’t see you walking and chewing gum, though. Like I said, do your thing. Own it, too.

He inherited the remnants of a team that was a year removed from an improbable Final Four run, promptly brought in Bouie and Orr, and went 100-18 in his first four seasons, which may still be a record winning percentage for a D1 coach to start a career.

You’re right. I was there.

And he deserves credit for bringing in both of those guys.

But let’s not pretend he was playing Murderers Row.