It's been hard to watch, no "Offense" to our program intended... | Syracusefan.com

It's been hard to watch, no "Offense" to our program intended...

Van111

Starter
In all my years of watching my beloved Orangemen, regardless of how good we were, I was always optimistic on the final results. I am being put to the test this year for sure. Granted, these last few years have been awesome to watch, but we always had something pop up to kill the momentum...be it injury, academic issues or scandals. All that said, I purchased seats early in the SU/G'Town last hoorah....only to be extremely disappointed and frustrated as we seem to be doing nothing to change our game. I know I don't speak alone, but this last month has been difficult to watch. In the past few years we have had visions of final fours and seedings to support us being there, but we peaked early, injury and or other issues surfaced, some may even say that there were conspiracies in work against our program, as we found a way not to get to the final four.

Now this year, with the way things are going, and we have went from being on the cusp of being a #1 team, we were 18-1 and had Villanova dead to rights, and couldn't put the game away. Yes we have had a few good games since, but really we are struggling in all phases of the game. We have the talent and defense to compete. As an optimist, I say this is a JB rouge, and this year we are going to be the Cinderella team, a role in which I think JB likes to be in!

So what are your views on this year's chance at the dance?

I don't see how a team that struggles to make 3 points shots and has no post presence is suddenly going to become consistent enough offensively to win more than a game or two in the Big Dance.

I agree. Am just hoping we get some matchups where we get weaker defensive teams that dont meat grind us.

I don't see how a team that struggles to make 3 points shots and has no post presence is suddenly going to become consistent enough offensively to win more than a game or two in the Big Dance.

Hey Mason (I can't get used to the new name), what is your opinion of Coleman? Do you think he has a chance to improve a lot going forward?

This. Back to the original post, though. It is really difficult to watch this team play offense. Never seen anything like it. Almost every possession looks like a circus, frenzy, a prayer, or a turnover/turnover waiting to happen. Hopefully they win Wed and gain some confidence. Maybe a little of that could be a powerful aid.

How quickly we forget about a team from the Big East that did just that...does the UCONN run 2 years ago ring a bell? They had the talent and yet couldn't hit a shot and had no consistentcy going into the tournament, yet won 11 straight games. Couldn't have done that without talent to start it all out. You ahve to admit, if we hit our shots, we can play with anyone in teh country.

How quickly we forget about a team from the Big East that did just that...does the UCONN run 2 years ago ring a bell? They had the talent and yet couldn't hit a shot and had no consistentcy going into the tournament, yet won 11 straight games. Couldn't have done that without talent to start it all out. You ahve to admit, if we hit our shots, we can play with anyone in teh country.

I hear ya but they also had a true college superstar/stud who carried them. Oriakhi also played very well and gave them something we don't have. We have role players and couple of good players in CJ and MCW when he plays under control.

I hear ya but they also had a true college superstar/stud who carried them. Oriakhi also played very well and gave them something we don't have. We have role players and couple of good players in CJ and MCW when he plays under control.

As for CJ and MCW......don't like talking negative so will stay positive. They probably have had a few distractions is all.

Thanks for being my #44 " Like! Always special to have that number associated with our program. Maybe that is the sign we are going to turn things around!!!!

I think our hope lies on the fact that this team is streaky. We've had hot streaks, we have had cold streaks (now included). There are so many different situations that this team could get itself into, that I have no idea what to expect. I'm glad we have an early round game to try to straighten the ship against a lesser opponent, because this team needs an opportunity to get out of its slump.

The biggest problem with Syracuse is its offense is consistent

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

True. You need at least one of those two things to have a chance.

I think that is a poor comparison because UConn had a player that could flatout take over a game, and he had shown multiple times throughout the year that he was capable of doing so. We don't have anyone with that sort of individual firepower, not even close. We did in 1996 and 2003 though...

Make the 3s and stop missing the chip shots, and it's a different game. Some film analyses might pick up development of shooting flaws that were not there previously.

I think that is a poor comparison because UConn had a player that could flatout take over a game, and he had shown multiple times throughout the year that he was capable of doing so. We don't have anyone with that sort of individual firepower, not even close. We did in 1996 and 2003 though...

I never got the Kemba comparison with us this year and maybe making a run. Kemba could shoot, drive was quick to the rim and literally took over every game they played. We do not have a guy who can do that. If we make a run (and thats a big if) we will need multiple people to pitch in.

Make the 3s and stop missing the chip shots, and it's a different game. Some film analyses might pick up development of shooting flaws that were not there previously.

But who do we have to make the threes?

The real measure of a player's potential is how he performs against equal talent, not St. Johns or Canisius. Southerland, Triche, MCW - they all wilt against top level teams. None of them can consistently make threes against teams that can closeout a split second faster than the Seton Halls or Providences.

It seems like everyone thinks this team is as good as dead? We have been in almost every game this year except for the G'town game, and maybe at Pitt. Guess what, there are no more road games from here on out. I really don't think we are as bad a shooting team as we have been the past couple weeks. Just based on statistics it can't keep up. Our defense has kept us in games all season, and should continue to do so, no matter how bad we shoot. The key is Triche. I was holding out hope he could get it together, and look at this as a fresh start, but i am hearing his back is a lot worse then anyone knows, and has been severely effecting his play (obviously). Even though that still shouldn't effect turning it over 3 times off the inbounds play. I am still confident we will rally around each other since it probably seems to them the whole community has bailed on them. Hopefully they use it as motivation and do it for themselves to prove people wrong. JB's comments the past week really irritated me though, so who knows. He sounds cashed out to me, so I guess Wednesday's performance should go a long way to tell us how the rest of the season will go.

The real measure of a player's potential is how he performs against equal talent, not St. Johns or Canisius. Southerland, Triche, MCW - they all wilt against top level teams. None of them can consistently make threes against teams that can closeout a split second faster than the Seton Halls or Providences.

They looked pretty good @Louisville, @Arkansas

Brandon and James have been missing wide-open shots. The opposition is not making that happen. On the other hand, the missed chippies could be the result of more intense interior defense (and more uncalled hip-checks).

I don't know about the others, but I wouldn't say Triche always "wilts" against top level teams. Off the top of my head last year I know he came up pretty big against Florida, WVU, Lville, Marquette and even OSU. All top 25 teams.

actually, Dirty's best run of the season came in his first 7 games back from suspension, which included the three best teams we have faced all year - UConn, GTown 1, Marquette and Louisville. Over that 7 game stretch, he hit at least 3 threes in every game (second longest stretch in SU history, btw), shot .434 from the arc and averaged over 14 ppg. it wasn't about the level of competition . . . but it was about the inability to perform during winning time (and it wasn't just James, it was also board fave CJ Fair who wilted)

what they failed to do was connect in the closing minutes - a virtue (!) that everyone shared. UConn provided the blueprint for shutting the Orange down - take away CJ's left hand, push James out to 24 feet, and make the guards try to beat you. It happened in all 4 of those losses (taking the Massacre on the Potomac out of it) - James and CJ came up empty in the closing minutes and rarely even attempted a shot until the outcome was already determined. One or both of them touch the ball on just about every half court possession, but refuse to take the big shots. That forces MCW and BT to try to generate all the offense from the outside in, with no willing pass recipients. It all just amplifies every individual's flaws.

The forwards have to nut up and realize that they aren't going to have to take and make some difficult shots late in the game, and that will make things easier on the guards.

Brandon and James have been missing wide-open shots. The opposition is not making that happen. On the other hand, the missed chippies could be the result of more intense interior defense (and more uncalled hip-checks).
Right.
And unless we start hitting some 3's...teams can just pack in a 2-3 zone...pay a little extra attention to CJ (and Southerland at the arc)...and make us beat them from outside.
There's only one thing to do: attack...Attack...ATTACK!

We've gotta live by the lyrics:

"... the way we live is the way we die
How bad do you want it?
How hard do you try?...
You've got to take it inside
Take it inside
Take it inside
Take it inside!!!!!

Change the mindset.
Be aggressive on every possession.
We can't win if we don't attack.

It's amazing how many times we have the opportunity to make a shot-fake to get a better shot. Cooney did this once nicely games ago (maybe Nova or UConn?). Defenders are closing hard on Brandon and James and they let themselves jack a contested three. Lately they are more contested than wide open because we don't move the ball well and are playing better defenses, imo. James is probably afraid to put it on the floor but we should try anything possible to get shots closer to the basket.

It seems like everyone thinks this team is as good as dead? We have been in almost every game this year except for the G'town game, and maybe at Pitt. Guess what, there are no more road games from here on out. I really don't think we are as bad a shooting team as we have been the past couple weeks. Just based on statistics it can't keep up. Our defense has kept us in games all season, and should continue to do so, no matter how bad we shoot. The key is Triche. I was holding out hope he could get it together, and look at this as a fresh start, but i am hearing his back is a lot worse then anyone knows, and has been severely effecting his play (obviously). Even though that still shouldn't effect turning it over 3 times off the inbounds play. I am still confident we will rally around each other since it probably seems to them the whole community has bailed on them. Hopefully they use it as motivation and do it for themselves to prove people wrong. JB's comments the past week really irritated me though, so who knows. He sounds cashed out to me, so I guess Wednesday's performance should go a long way to tell us how the rest of the season will go.

Where are you hearing his back is a lot worse than anyone knows? Because I think this could be a huge problem. I hate to think of his being torn down when he is struggling with something major physically.

Where are you hearing his back is a lot worse than anyone knows? Because I think this could be a huge problem. I hate to think of his being torn down when he is struggling with something major physically.
And...if he is hurt, why hasn't he been rested more. I haven't read anyplace he was injured or is having this problem. That doesn't mean it isn't so, but it is clear by the look on his face he doesn't have the confidence. It started about 10 games ago and JB called him on it at the FT Line. He said he had the look that he was going to miss, and that a shooters mentality is they always think every shot is going down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom