It's good to be good. | Syracusefan.com

It's good to be good.

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
@JayBilas: My Preseason Top 5: UNC, UK, Ohio State, Syracuse, UConn. Next 5: Duke, Florida, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh.

While it's great to be recognized, Jay Bilas saying were top 5 doesn't make it real. I think we'll be a really good team, but unless someone steps up to be THE guy, we might not reach our ceiling.

While it's great to be recognized, Jay Bilas saying were top 5 doesn't make it real. I think we'll be a really good team, but unless someone steps up to be THE guy, we might not reach our ceiling.
Absolutely agree & I have been saying it myself for awhile.

Scoop has the mindset to be the man, but he lacks the elite talent.

Kris is the likeliest candidate, but he needs to add consistancy, mindset, and a post-up game.

Brandon is no way even close mentally and physically he is not quick enough.

Only other outside candidate in my mind would be Dion, but at this stage of his career he probably is lacking too much in both experience and consistancy.

I love CJ, but he just not well rounded enough offensively, and he is more of an elite garbageman than he is a go to type - at least until such time as he might develop a reliable J.

All the bigs are works in progress, and besides the game has shifted in such a way that it is very difficult a five hole player to be dominent unless he really has ultra-elite talent.

Absolutely agree & I have been saying it myself for awhile.

Scoop has the mindset to be the man, but he lacks the elite talent.

Kris is the likeliest candidate, but he needs to add consistancy, mindset, and a post-up game.

Brandon is no way even close mentally and physically he is not quick enough.

Only other outside candidate in my mind would be Dion, but at this stage of his career he probably is lacking too much in both experience and consistancy.

I love CJ, but he just not well rounded enough offensively, and he is more of an elite garbageman than he is a go to type - at least until such time as he might develop a reliable J.

All the bigs are works in progress, and besides the game has shifted in such a way that it is very difficult a five hole player to be dominent unless he really has ultra-elite talent.

Elite garbage man - well put.

We're pretty much a consensus top 5 preseason pick in every poll ive seen, not just bilas. Not every team needs a carmelo or kemba walker to win it all. Top to bottom this is 1 of the most loaded cuse teams i can remember.

We're pretty much a consensus top 5 preseason pick in every poll ive seen, not just bilas. Not every team needs a carmelo or kemba walker to win it all. Top to bottom this is 1 of the most loaded cuse teams i can remember.

I think we have the ability to be a really good team, but I think your over stating it just a bit. We have a bunch of good players, but I don't think we have anyone resembling a true star. If Fab becomes the post presence that some predicted, we have a shot to be a very good and dangerous team. If he struggles, we'll live and die by our guards, who while talented, are very inconsistent.

Agree, unless someone makes a significant jump from last year into or near All American territory (not to mention it lost its best player), I think this team will be comparable to last year. The best SU teams (and this is true for MOST programs) all had one or more of the best players in the country. I'm not sure if this team does.

Rick was a man among boys. Fab is a big boy. A big boy is not a man. If last years team played this years I would bet on last years, due to Rick, the Ruler. He would abuse Fab, and the five fouls would come in a blink of the eye. Only time will tell how this years edition will do. I can't wait.

Rick was a man among boys. Fab is a big boy. A big boy is not a man. If last years team played this years I would bet on last years, due to Rick, the Ruler. He would abuse Fab, and the five fouls would come in a blink of the eye. Only time will tell how this years edition will do. I can't wait.

Youre forgetting about the sophmore leap! Dion, CJ, BMK, and hopefully Melo will all be improved over last year's versions, and if any of them make a huge leap the way KJ did his soph year then its on. Some people think we're gonna have the exact same team as last year minus rick. Players improve from year to year. Triche didnt have the big sophmore leap alot of us expected, maybe it clicks for him his junior year. Last year was scoop's FIRST year as the starting pg, maybe he'll use that experience to play smarter and more under control. KJ tried too hard to be "the man" last year, maybe this year he's more relaxed and confident and doesnt try to force the issue as much. And hopefully he worked on a pull up jumper!

Hey if none of them improve, and if the incoming frosh prove they arent ready yet, then yea its probably gonna be a similar season as last year. But to me theres a bunch of talent on this team top to bottom and enough guys are gonna improve to make us a legit top 5-10 team.

You know Fab was on last year's team also, so a sophomore Fab would probably dominate a freshman Fab.
Sr. Scoop > Jr. Scoop
Sr. Kris > Jr. Kris with concussion
Jr. Triche > So. Triche
So. BMK > Fr. BMK with broken hand
etc.

Youre forgetting about the sophmore leap! Dion, CJ, BMK, and hopefully Melo will all be improved over last year's versions, and if any of them make a huge leap the way KJ did his soph year then its on. Some people think we're gonna have the exact same team as last year minus rick. Players improve from year to year. Triche didnt have the big sophmore leap alot of us expected, maybe it clicks for him his junior year. Last year was scoop's FIRST year as the starting pg, maybe he'll use that experience to play smarter and more under control. KJ tried too hard to be "the man" last year, maybe this year he's more relaxed and confident and doesnt try to force the issue as much. And hopefully he worked on a pull up jumper!

Hey if none of them improve, and if the incoming frosh prove they arent ready yet, then yea its probably gonna be a similar season as last year. But to me theres a bunch of talent on this team top to bottom and enough guys are gonna improve to make us a legit top 5-10 team.
Wouldn't shock me to see us overtake that #3 spot behind UNC and UK, who play each other in December. #2 ranking definitely possible for this squad

Rick played PF more than center but he was our go to big man. Once he got the ball down low there were few teams that could stop him on offense or from rebounding. If this years team played last years, who would stop Rick from scoring and glass cleaning?

The best comparison to Melo in terms of a big without experience is Seikaly. Seikaly had no offensive skills as a frosh. I remember him missing a point blank dunk which brought down the house. However, he managed nearly 6.5 boards a game on shear aggression and live legs. Although Melo had a couple of late season flashes he has not shown the on floor talent that got everyone excited about Seikaly. Melo could put it all together, but it will likely take more time. The rest of our frontcourt is more finesse than power. Rick left a big hole. To make up for the loss, several players will have to improve. Its possible, but there are 'ifs'.

I'm kind of in the middle on this issue. When I look at other teams rosters I think we are pretty deserving of that ranking especially when you consider that we actually do not have to rely on any new players at all if we don't want to even though we have a great class coming in.
That being there are a ton of questions.

Can Kris really put it all together?
Can Scoop fine tune his game especially at critical junctures?
Can Brandon get some consistent mojo/conf and agression?
How much better will Dion be?
What exactly will James bring?
Can CJ expand his game?
Can either of our bigs Score?

I think we will have positive answers to many of these questions but most likely not all of them. At least we are mainly relying on 3 uperclassmen to do things better, not particularly learn new skills or improve by leaps and bounds. Kris, Scoop and Brandon just need to be the best versions of themselves more often and more consistently and I like their chances to do that.

I believe we deserve this ranking. Who would you have above us at this point? Being ranked so high does not mean we are a great team. But we do have very good talent - no superstar but other than the top few teams, neither does anyone else.

North Carolina and Kentucky have ridiculous talent aided by the NBA lockout. I'd put Ohio State and Duke above us as well. But after that, we're as good as anybody.

One Uncalled offensive Goaltending call from beating UCONN in the BE Tourney last year.

I believe we deserve this ranking. Who would you have above us at this point? Being ranked so high does not mean we are a great team. But we do have very good talent - no superstar but other than the top few teams, neither does anyone else.

North Carolina and Kentucky have ridiculous talent aided by the NBA lockout. I'd put Ohio State and Duke above us as well. But after that, we're as good as anybody.
Well said. Who is better than us? OSU lost a lot. Diebler, Lighty, Lauderdale. The first 2 really stretched the floor and let Sully get all those one on ones and mismatches. While Lauderdale wasn't Dwight Howard down low, he was a big body and took up space, letting Sully take advantage of smaller guys. They're relying on a 6'10 215 lb freshman Amir Williams to come in and play like a 4th year center. Either that or they're going to go with a very small lineup of
Smith
Craft
Buford
Thomas
Sullinger

1.No high or low post isolation artist is a BIG make that HUGE problem.

2. Nobody worthy of double teams will hurt some when we don't have 5 scorers on the floor.

Defensively we might need better rebounding to replace Rick some but I am doubtfull that we will as CJ, Joseph, Keita Melo and Southerland will be better rebounders.

Other then that we are VERY balenced. Our outside shooting really wasn't that bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom