It's not about the X's and the O's... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's not about the X's and the O's...

I want to believe that we do have enough talent to get to 7-8 wins.

That said, if we do... it's definitely on the coaching that we're playing so poorly.

I really hope next season we can be a functional, normal football team, and get to 6 wins (or more) and a bowl game.
I hear you. We should be able to win 3 or 4 non conference games along with 3 or 4 ACC games. We were suppose to be able to out scheme opponents. Remember Dino was able to beat superior teams at his other stops.

I hear you. We should be able to win 3 or 4 non conference games along with 3 or 4 ACC games. We were suppose to be able to out scheme opponents. Remember Dino was able to beat superior teams at his other stops.

He was able to beat superior teams? I’m not sure that is true.

Bowling Green beat 3 P5 teams in two years. True. But Purdue, Maryland & Indiana were a combined 3-21 in the Big Ten in the years they beat them.

That’s what’s so confusing. One would think Dino could out scheme on offense with almost whoever we have on the roster. He was doing that the first couple of years. I guess we need that one major outside 50/50 WR guy?

I think our defense is doing good and if the time of possession was better would be great

Bowling Green beat 3 P5 teams in two years. True. But Purdue, Maryland & Indiana were a combined 3-21 in the Big Ten in the years they beat them.
If not previous stops, he did beat superior teams since he’s been at SU

Its been said here many times, and I thought Luginbill laid it out pretty clearly during the game as well. Not enough local talent to build a team around, and we have to rely on going into others teams backyards to get enough talent to build a competitive roster. We are going to lose out more than we win in that scenario. Its a sobering reality that we have to face.

another reason we should be transfer U.

He beat superior teams leading us.

:shrugs:

I want to believe that we do have enough talent to get to 7-8 wins.

That said, if we do... it's definitely on the coaching that we're playing so poorly.

I really hope next season we can be a functional, normal football team, and get to 6 wins (or more) and a bowl game.
How can anyone look at this offense and think that? I've been yelling about scheme for twenty something years and even I don't think it is that magical

Quit making excuses, some of you act like us going bowling is some impossible thing, no reason we go anything worse than 3-1 any year OOC and if were smart we have 4 cupcakes and go 4-0, your telling me we can't win 2-3 ACC games a season. In regards to this season it'd be one thing if we were losing, another by a similar point margin but atleast we are competing and getting better. We are going to finish 1-10 for a reason, it's far from one of two problems. DB has done a terrible job end of story. How about this stat, with dungey as the starting QB dinos record in those games 18-13. With any other QB his record is 6-21.

How can anyone look at this offense and think that? I've been yelling about scheme for twenty something years and even I don't think it is that magical
You gotta squint real hard, but you talk yourself into what you believe having more guys healthy on the oline could mean, you say between Jordan and Tucker running back is pretty interesting, between DeVito and Morgan things can happen at QB if you protect them better and give them some consistency in the running game, maybe we figure out how to use Benson, Queeley solidifies one side of the field at WR and maybe one of the incoming freshmen is legit quickly, the guys we see making great individual plays on defense at lb and in the secondary get better, bigger, stronger and a little more seasoned, we figure something out for the defensive line, the schedule isn't a murderer's row or anything...

I mean you're a Bills fan, you know sports fandom isn't logical. Fans find ways to believe.

You gotta squint real hard, but you talk yourself into what you believe having more guys healthy on the oline could mean, you say between Jordan and Tucker running back is pretty interesting, between DeVito and Morgan things can happen at QB if you protect them better and give them some consistency in the running game, maybe we figure out how to use Benson, Queeley solidifies one side of the field at WR and maybe one of the incoming freshmen is legit quickly, the guys we see making great individual plays on defense at lb and in the secondary get better, bigger, stronger and a little more seasoned, we figure something out for the defensive line, the schedule isn't a murderer's row or anything...

I mean you're a Bills fan, you know sports fandom isn't logical. Fans find ways to believe.
I'm not sure what Morgan makes happen. I don't want to rag on a guy who has absolutely no business playing college football

That’s what’s so confusing. One would think Dino could out scheme on offense with almost whoever we have on the roster. He was doing that the first couple of years. I guess we need that one major outside 50/50 WR guy?

I think our defense is doing good and if the time of possession was better would be great
I dont know what to think any more. The offense is nothing how I thought it would be. There's reasons for it but I thought the staff would be able to muster up a functional offense despite that. Two years in a row of bad O line play is unacceptable.

Last edited:
I agree what Luginbill had to say last night but what about the other teams in similar geographic situations. Nebraska, K-State, Iowa State and many others don’t have a pool of high school talent around them but they seem to succeed on the field. Think this is all about coaching the kids and Dino/staff are failing big time.
Good post . Would someone please tell me why good kids go to Boise State.

That's harsh.

I would say he normally wouldn't have any business starting games as a true freshman, but I wouldn't say he has no business playing college football.
Kickers go laces out, not quarterbacks

Talent is why we are not good. Coaching is why we are god awful. If it was all about the talent, then why are we right around 100th (depending on the computer ranking) in the nation but our recruiting class were all well above that? If our classes averaged 60 and we were 70th best team your comment woudl hold weight. But when we are 100th it does not.

If all the best players on the team weren’t hurt we’d probably be around 60-70 IMO. Maybe a little lower due to breaking in new coordinators in a year with a very limited preseason.

You dont think those teams had higher recruiting classes and more depth? Also, Im not just talking BG. The San Diego st win was eye popping. Eastern Illnois had no business beating them like that. We cant let are current frustration change what we liked about him prior to coming to SU. Two different things.

Last edited:
Nebraska seems to have similar issues. The days of the walk-on 300 pound farmboys seem to be a thing of the past.
How is this possible in America? We invented super sizing everything and now we can’t get 300lb high school seniors? What the hell happened to this country?

How is this possible in America? We invented super sizing everything and now we can’t get 300lb high school seniors? What the hell happened to this country?

They moved I guess.

Redrum get the boot for the aggressive game thread comment or did he decide enough is enough?

NBA free agency hasn’t quenched my drama thirst

Recruiting rankings are important, but so is coaching...look at the rankings for the past 3 years and look at the results.

BYU for example...not exactly a recruiting hot spot has ranked well below us each year. Most of the teams (all of the them) ranked below us are better than we are this season. I know we play in a tougher conference in some cases...but...at least we should look competitive.

Recruiting.....

2019 Football Team Rankings

2020 Football Team Rankings

I'll include 2021

2021 Football Team Rankings

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics