It's Notre Dame Stupid: Watch the next few weeks! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's Notre Dame Stupid: Watch the next few weeks!

What makes you say that?

Xavier -- 7 straight NCAA tourneys, 3 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s in the past 10 years.

Butler -- really good program, great young coach, 2 title game appearances in past 5 years.

G'town -- legit sucks

Nova -- struggling right this moment but still a good program

SJU -- still a strong program

Marquette -- great program with sustained success.

I think that's a really good conference and they've all had plenty of success even outside the big conference spotlight.

Fixed

What makes you say that?

Xavier -- 7 straight NCAA tourneys, 3 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s in the past 10 years.

Butler -- really good program, great young coach, 2 title game appearances in past 5 years.

G'town -- legit

Nova -- struggling right this moment but still a good program

SJU -- still a strong program

Marquette -- great program with sustained success.

I think that's a really good conference and they've all had plenty of success even outside the big conference spotlight.

So the top two are from the Atlantic 10 (plus adding A-10 teams Dayton and Saint Louis). St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, and DePaul are already Atlantic 10-level. And then you have left Georgetown and their 37 fans playing in a building they can only sell out when they're playing us, Villanova and their 27 fans who plays in a high school gym (and an empty arena unless they're playing us), and Marquette who's been a decent program that's only been on the national map since they left ConferenceUSA a few years ago.

Give it five years.

The Atlantic 10 has had some good teams, St. Joe's earned a 1-seed one year, UMass had their run, Temple has been a good program... but it's a group of mostly private schools with small fanbases that don't have a national following, and won't command TV dollars remotely comparable to the big five leagues.

They'll have their good teams like the A-10 has, but it's still going to be the new Atlantic 10.

I like the A10. It looks alot more like basketball than the big east has this year.

The Big Ten has looked more like basketball than the Big East has, and that's saying something.

PURE SPECULATION: NO INSIDE INFO AND NO COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENTS

That said, I am thinking that the C7 and Football schools need to negotiate the split to avoid losing/fighting over the remaining payments for exit fees and I believe, but may be wrong, that if the conference dissolves, the NCAA Tourney credits revert back to their earning teams. That is something to the tune of $60MM so it is not chump change. The C7, ND, Louisville and Rutgers could vote to dissolve the conference. The only remaining votes are UConn, USF, Cincy and Temple, the new adds don't arrive until summer. Nobody wants to leave that much "free" cash on the table.

I think that ND, Louisville and Rutgers use this to negotiate and early exit, the C7 gets their summer split and Fox TV deal and the remaining football schools get a small pile of dough and a bunch of new friends. My guess is that the posturing about who gets what cut is what is really at issue, since most everything else seems to be on a fast track - The C7 have no reason to stay beyond this academic year. Louisville and Rutgers probably agree to play one year in the messed up conference (I could see where Louisville could step into Maryland's shoes this season with the ACC allowing Maryland out, but I'm not convinced that the B1G would accept Maryland and Rutgers this fall unless they were forced to do so, and I see nothing that can force the B1G to do so). This leaves ND hanging in the wind.

I cannot think of a scenario that would entice ND to stay with the remaining football schools, only Louisville and Cincy offer competitive hoops, nobody plays lacrosse, remaining sports are screwed up. Playing with the C7, though Gtown, Marquette, DePaul (long history with Marquette and DePaul) and Nova may draw ND's attention, for one season, this would be awkward (Hello, I must be going) and cumbersome (schedule the C7 this year and then the ACC next year), so I believe ND leans toward the ACC ASAP.

Also, rumor only, but I believe I read that ND has already stated that if they withdraw from the ACC, they are on the hook for $50MM, just like Maryland. Another incentive to simply move to the ACC.

I return you to your regularly scheduled debate.

P.S. Thanks, Arb!

They will.

But they will say all the right things right up till they get the fall ACC soccer schedules etc.

No shot in hell they stay in 1 of the 2 bmws.
Of course they are not going to lay all their cards out on the table. It would be unwise to do that. Like SU did, they will be nice & professional until and after the breakup.

So the top two are from the Atlantic 10 (plus adding A-10 teams Dayton and Saint Louis). St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, and DePaul are already Atlantic 10-level. And then you have left Georgetown and their 37 fans playing in a building they can only sell out when they're playing us, Villanova and their 27 fans who plays in a high school gym (and an empty arena unless they're playing us), and Marquette who's been a decent program that's only been on the national map since they left ConferenceUSA a few years ago.

Give it five years.

The Atlantic 10 has had some good teams, St. Joe's earned a 1-seed one year, UMass had their run, Temple has been a good program... but it's a group of mostly private schools with small fanbases that don't have a national following, and won't command TV dollars remotely comparable to the big five leagues.

They'll have their good teams like the A-10 has, but it's still going to be the new Atlantic 10.

Good teams, good programs, good history, good cities. New A-10, not new A-10, who cares. I like it and I'd rather we were playing in it. Of course, maybe that's just b/c I like actually seeing Syracuse basketball games and now I'll have to drive to 3.5 hours to see one ... and that one will be in charlottesville. Awesome.

PURE SPECULATION: NO INSIDE INFO AND NO COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENTS

That said, I am thinking that the C7 and Football schools need to negotiate the split to avoid losing/fighting over the remaining payments for exit fees and I believe, but may be wrong, that if the conference dissolves, the NCAA Tourney credits revert back to their earning teams. That is something to the tune of $60MM so it is not chump change. The C7, ND, Louisville and Rutgers could vote to dissolve the conference. The only remaining votes are UConn, USF, Cincy and Temple, the new adds don't arrive until summer. Nobody wants to leave that much "free" cash on the table.
Not sure where the credits go.

But, I do think that ND, LVille, and Rutgers gave up their votes when they informed the BE that they were leaving.

So there are 7 BB-only votes, and 4 FB votes (and, I'm not even sure if Temple has one yet). What that means, I have no idea.

Not sure where the credits go.

But, I do think that ND, LVille, and Rutgers gave up their votes when they informed the BE that they were leaving.

So there are 7 BB-only votes, and 4 FB votes (and, I'm not even sure if Temple has one yet). What that means, I have no idea.

I agree that under normal circumstances, each school has lost their respective vote. However, the reality is that though each is willing to pay the exit fee, if the conference is dissolving, they have a stake in the outcome. Upon disbanding, the conference loses the hoops credits and they revert back to the respective schools.

The issue then arises of what % of votes are necesary to break away. Assuming 2/3 (66.67%), though 75% is more likely, neither the C7 or football schools can force anything. The reality is that whether ND, Louisville and Rutgers have real votes, they have the power to mess up everything. They have already agreed to let the money go (exit fee and hoops credits) but if the conference does not stay toegther, they get the hoops credits and may not have to pay the exit fee. So, any agreement that does not satisfy all parties - C7, footballers, ND, Louisville and Rutgers will not work.

If the C7 demands the money, the football schools vote against it. If the football schools demand too much, the C7 voes against it. If ND, Louisville and Rutgers are forced into anything they do not like, they merely join the opposing side or file a lawsuit. As mentioned, the three leaving schools are willing to part with the money, but they will use this as leverage to get what they want, in this case, the date they leave. ND can be absorbed into the ACC this summer, no problems. Louisville could be absorbed if they slide into Maryland's slot, but that would require much more work. The B1G is not likely to take Maryland and Rutgers this fall. Thus, it seems that Louisville and Rutgers are not headed out this fall, but ND is not likely to be forced to stay with the football schools nore to play with the C7 when they can join the ACC.

Please do not misconstrue what I've sad to mean that ND, Louisville and Rutgers will be walking away with all the cash and leaving when they want. They are king makers and will get a nice benefit from making one or both sides kings (political sense, not football kings, we are talking about Georgetown and UConn for goodness' sake), but it will cost them.

Personally, I think ND will ultimately join the ACC for all sports, but football, but the C7 is clearly an acceptable option for ND for their Olympic sports. When ND committed to the ACC, the C7 was not an option, but it is now. When you look at the 4 big Olympic sports for ND: basketball, hockey, lacrosse, and soccer the C7 + the newbies + ND would be a decent competition conference (not ACC level, but a very good level). In basketball, the C7 will probably be the 4th best conference. In hockey, ND is joining Hockey East, which is the best conference. In lacrosse, the C7 has some decent teams in Georgetown, Villanova, and St. Johns, but clearly no way near the level of ACC lacrosse. In soccer, the C7 conference had up to 7 men's team ranked or receiving votes and 3 women's teams. Other sports would have decent competition as well.

If ND joined the C7, they could remain independent in football and play who they want. They could still schedule Pitt and BC of the ACC as they do now and keep their future schedules intact. (Pitt and BC would probably prefer this as they would play ND more often if they didn't join the ACC.) And, I don't think ND is going to have a problem finding bowls and they do have the Orange Bowl and playoff tie-ins starting in 2014.

In addition, the C7 plus newbies would be much less travel for ND (important for Olympic sports) and they would be playing games in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, New Jersey, Milwaukee, Indianapolis,... as well as the Big East basketball tournament at MSG.

Finally, the C7 also has what appears to be an acceptable media contract.

Personally, I think ND will ultimately join the ACC for all sports, but football, but the C7 is clearly an acceptable option for ND for their Olympic sports. When ND committed to the ACC, the C7 was not an option, but it is now. When you look at the 4 big Olympic sports for ND: basketball, hockey, lacrosse, and soccer the C7 + the newbies + ND would be a decent competition conference (not ACC level, but a very good level). In basketball, the C7 will probably be the 4th best conference. In hockey, ND is joining Hockey East, which is the best conference. In lacrosse, the C7 has some decent teams in Georgetown, Villanova, and St. Johns, but clearly no way near the level of ACC lacrosse. In soccer, the C7 conference had up to 7 men's team ranked or receiving votes and 3 women's teams. Other sports would have decent competition as well.

If ND joined the C7, they could remain independent in football and play who they want. They could still schedule Pitt and BC of the ACC as they do now and keep their future schedules intact. (Pitt and BC would probably prefer this as they would play ND more often if they didn't join the ACC.) And, I don't think ND is going to have a problem finding bowls and they do have the Orange Bowl and playoff tie-ins starting in 2014.

In addition, the C7 plus newbies would be much less travel for ND (important for Olympic sports) and they would be playing games in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington, New Jersey, Milwaukee, Indianapolis,... as well as the Big East basketball tournament at MSG.

Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette vs. Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pitt, NC State. Notre Dame isn't going to align themselves with small time schools. Also, you are forgetting the reason Notre Dame aligned itself with the ACC Notre Dame has a real hard tine scheduling football games in October and November because of conference play. Notre Dame now gets 5 of its 12 games scheduled for them a lot easier and they get a better home for its Olympic sports and makes more money with the ACC than the Catholic 7. If Notre Dame stayed independent it would hard for them to find 12 games each year to schedule the B1G schools(except Michigan State, Purdue) are going to start to freeze them out due to a bigger conference schedules, the Pac-12 already gives them 2 games, and the Big 12 and Pac-12 already play 9 game schedules. The SEC doesn't like playing tough non-conference home/homes outside of their ACC rivals. Notre Dame saw the writing on the wall and the ACC giving them 5 games a year is a win/win. In the Catholic 7 good luck getting 12 games each year worthy of a NC/4 playoff bid.

Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette vs. Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pitt, NC State. Notre Dame isn't going to align themselves with small time schools. Also, you are forgetting the reason Notre Dame aligned itself with the ACC Notre Dame has a real hard tine scheduling football games in October and November because of conference play. Notre Dame now gets 5 of its 12 games scheduled for them a lot easier and they get a better home for its Olympic sports and makes more money with the ACC than the Catholic 7. If Notre Dame stayed independent it would hard for them to find 12 games each year to schedule the B1G schools(except Michigan State, Purdue) are going to start to freeze them out due to a bigger conference schedules, the Pac-12 already gives them 2 games, and the Big 12 and Pac-12 already play 9 game schedules. The SEC doesn't like playing tough non-conference home/homes outside of their ACC . Notre Dame saw the writing on the wall and the ACC giving them 5 games a year is a win/win. In the Catholic 7 good luck getting 12 games each year worthy of a NC/4 playoff bid.

Well put! What is often overlooked is that ND was ready leave the C7 schools when they agreed to play in the ACC. If they can join the ACC early without a significant cost increase, they will do so.

When ND announced they were leaving the BE, the Big East schools included Memphis, Tulane, SMU, Houston, UCF, USF... They aren't in the C7. You have to agree that for football (ND can do fine on it's own), hockey (already in the best conference, Hockey East), and basketball (while no ACC, C7 basketball will be good), the C7 is fine for ND, and they don't have to schedule five football games per season with ACC schools. Plus, people are crazy if they think ND can't schedule games at any time in the season. They already play Navy, USC, and Stanford every year and Pitt, BC, and GT most years. Syracuse would gladly schedule ND as would all the ACC schools. Michigan St., Michigan, Purdue, or other Big 10 schools would gladly play ND as well. Cinci, UConn, USF,... would probably give 3 for 1s. BYU is an independent and they have ND scheduled.

I agree that under normal circumstances, each school has lost their respective vote. However, the reality is that though each is willing to pay the exit fee, if the conference is dissolving, they have a stake in the outcome. Upon disbanding, the conference loses the hoops credits and they revert back to the respective schools.

The issue then arises of what % of votes are necesary to break away. Assuming 2/3 (66.67%), though 75% is more likely, neither the C7 or football schools can force anything. The reality is that whether ND, Louisville and Rutgers have real votes, they have the power to mess up everything. They have already agreed to let the money go (exit fee and hoops credits) but if the conference does not stay toegther, they get the hoops credits and may not have to pay the exit fee. So, any agreement that does not satisfy all parties - C7, footballers, ND, Louisville and Rutgers will not work.

If the C7 demands the money, the football schools vote against it. If the football schools demand too much, the C7 voes against it. If ND, Louisville and Rutgers are forced into anything they do not like, they merely join the opposing side or file a lawsuit. As mentioned, the three leaving schools are willing to part with the money, but they will use this as leverage to get what they want, in this case, the date they leave. ND can be absorbed into the ACC this summer, no problems. Louisville could be absorbed if they slide into Maryland's slot, but that would require much more work. The B1G is not likely to take Maryland and Rutgers this fall. Thus, it seems that Louisville and Rutgers are not headed out this fall, but ND is not likely to be forced to stay with the football schools nore to play with the C7 when they can join the ACC.

Please do not misconstrue what I've sad to mean that ND, Louisville and Rutgers will be walking away with all the cash and leaving when they want. They are king makers and will get a nice benefit from making one or both sides kings (political sense, not football kings, we are talking about Georgetown and UConn for goodness' sake), but it will cost them.
Lots of moving parts. For example--what if this drags on past July: Do the new entities then have full voting rights? Will the conference actually be disbanding, or is it just the C7 leaving en masse, with UConn, Cincy, etc maintaining the "league" with the new additions?

Not even taking the big $$$ into account, this is very complicated.

From the SU point of view, it would be nice if we were able to claim all or part of the NCAA units we earned.

Lots of moving parts. For example--what if this drags on past July: Do the new entities then have full voting rights? Will the conference actually be disbanding, or is it just the C7 leaving en masse, with UConn, Cincy, etc maintaining the "league" with the new additions?

From the SU point of view, it would be nice if we were able to claim all or part of the NCAA units we earned.
FYI, Mark Blaudschun says is it unlikely ND will stay with the Catholic 7/New Big East for a year before heading to the ACC. Says a substantial number of the Catholic 7 do not want ND in their conference, even for a year.

He seems to have a lot of contacts. I think the info is probably legit.

ND Looks Likely to ACC in 2013

FYI, Mark Blaudschun says is it unlikely ND will stay with the Catholic 7/New Big East for a year before heading to the ACC. Says a substantial number of the Catholic 7 do not want ND in their conference, even for a year.

I think the choice is ACC starting in 2013 (which I think is likely), although without an early football scheduling commitment. C7 is only an option if they make a LT commitment, which doesn't seem likely, but I think ND wants that as a possible option. ND is all about ND as the C7 and old BE schools know all too well.

Dead on. Allparties are carving out territory right now as they know the dymanics will change and will change quickly. Nobody wants to leave anything on the table if they don't have to, but it is a game in which time is of the essence.

I think the choice is ACC starting in 2013 (which I think is likely), although without an early football scheduling commitment. C7 is only an option if they make a LT commitment, which doesn't seem likely, but I think ND wants that as a possible option. ND is all about ND as the C7 and old BE schools know all too well.
Bingo.
The main issue w/ ND will never change, and honestly who can blame them? But their hesitation lends to the idea that the ACC hasn't fully stabilized, which gives the WVU "ACC Jihadists" a few more months to infect the media with their Doomsday narrative.
Everyone recognizes how the Dude, MHVer, and the other hacks are playing their games, but it still causes some tension. We can't be certain how much of their nonsense is actually true and how much is total BS.
*Btw- that whole "Les Miles and the female Student Affair" non-story, was a perfect example of a rumor that fills a news cycle. The "story" started from a speculative tweet, and was picked up by legit sites within hours. The POS who started the rumor, "gained" more than 30k followers...and then bragged about it. :bang:

An ND championship would be a disaster for the new league. No way do they let that happen.

A perfect storm...the Catholic 7 wanting to bail a year early because of FOX $$$$. In fact, Catholic 7 is basically up to nine and looking at #10...which could be Creighton (president on Georgetown Board of Directors) or...or can I even say it Notre Dame. But, But Notre Dame is going to the ACC for everything but football in '14...right, well most likely.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting..sic: TOUGH! By the Catholic 7 leaving early, if they do in fact leave July this year, it gives an easy walk and no dollar loss to Notre Dame to exit with them as part of their new conference (even if just for a year before bouncing to ACC). Moreover, if Notre Dame leaves for ACC, there will most likely be a $$$ levy to pay to the old BE conference. What is difficult here is the end game that Notre Dame is playing. If it goes to the Catholic 7 for a year of all sports and bball, that probably would not be the best signal for the ACC insofar as Notre Dame is concerned. Why would Notre Dame do that rather than come into the ACC which, according to source, is expecting them this July if the Catholic 7 exits.

Anyalysis is here. If Notre Dame comes to the ACC this year, it builds additional confidence in strenghth and longevity of the ACC...and builds the foundation for quicker $$$ enhancement from ESPN as well as giving the ACC network (whatever it will become) more impetus moving forward. If Notre Dame goes with the Catholic 7 it may mean nothing at all or something...and it will take more time to figure that meaning out. The ACC knows this and is working to do everything it can to bring in Notre Dame basketball and other sports in July...as Swofford and Notre Dame said previously: when Notre Dame is ready we will embrace and take them...(source) has indicated this will infact happen.

Whoever would have thought that 7 Catholic bball schools would yield so much influence on realignment decision...NO WAIT, THE BE ONLY BASKETBALL SCHOOLS RAN THE CONFERENCE FOR A LONG TIME...and they now may be running 3 conferences: Catholic 7, old BE and the ACC--no wonder the Pope stepped down...can he be a commisioner?
If ND pays the premium to leave the BE early (which they must do whether they join the old BE schools in a new BE or if they want to go to the ACC this year), they will go to the ACC. The premise that they would lose nothing ("no dollar loss") by joining the Catholic schools for a year is flawed. Of course they would lose something. The ACC will pay better than a new BE which is why ND is joining the ACC.

if Notre Dame leaves for ACC, there will most likely be a $$$ levy to pay to the old BE conference.

Most likely? It's not "most likely". They are paying.

There is zero to no incentive for ND to join the new BE for a year...and zero to no incentive for the new BE to let them. I don't know how this post generated so many comments that go along with the premise stated.

I think ND knows that they will have a problem finding bowls. That's one of the major reasons for joining a conference with many football bowl tie-ins. Sure ND could lock themselves into 1 lower tier bowl like Navy has done with the one in DC and BYU has done with the one in SF, but they don't seem to be willing to do that. While in the BE, they are attached to the BE bowl structure. They will do the same in the ACC arrangement. The C7 can't offer them any of this, and none of the major football conferences will be willing to share their bowl tie-in with Notre Dame without something in return from Notre Dame. The good bowls are now locking in both sides of their games under contract with conferences. BYU is finding this out now having to makedirect arrangements with the Poinsettia Bowl in one year and the Fight Hunger Bowl in another. This is why BYU may be ready to go back into a conference.

That's why this C7 deal along with a totally independent football team isn't a good option for ND.

Don't tell the WVU ACC Jihadists...they are falling all over themselves thinking Notre Dame is backing out on the ACC.

I think ND knows that they will have a problem finding bowls. That's one of the major reasons for joining a conference with many football bowl tie-ins. Sure ND could lock themselves into 1 lower tier bowl like Navy has done with the one in DC and BYU has done with the one in SF, but they don't seem to be willing to do that. While in the BE, they are attached to the BE bowl structure. They will do the same in the ACC arrangement. The C7 can't offer them any of this, and none of the major football conferences will be willing to share their bowl tie-in with Notre Dame without something in return from Notre Dame. The good bowls are now locking in both sides of their games under contract with conferences. BYU is finding this out now having to makedirect arrangements with the Poinsettia Bowl in one year and the Fight Hunger Bowl in another. This is why BYU may be ready to go back into a conference.

That's why this C7 deal along with a totally independent football team isn't a good option for ND.
So, they will earn less money in the new BE v. ACC, have a tougher time getting aligned to football bowls , have to deal with the fallout of a $50M ACC "exit" fee...so why is it ND would want to go to the new BE? So they can all go to Mass together? Oh wait, Butler will be joining! Can we start referring to the new league as the C7+C1+1?

So, they will earn less money in the new BE v. ACC, have a tougher time getting aligned to football bowls , have to deal with the fallout of a $50M ACC "exit" fee...so why is it ND would want to go to the new BE? So they can all go to Mass together? Oh wait, Butler will be joining! Can we start referring to the new league as the C7+C1+1?

The only reason I can see is that they think they might get out of paying the BE exit fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom