It's sad the Big East is at this point! It's even sadder that ND is why this happened! | Syracusefan.com

It's sad the Big East is at this point! It's even sadder that ND is why this happened!

Shermthegeneral

Starter
I'm still really annoyed that the Big East as we knew it will be gone forever! I was thinking that if Tranghese wasn't such a push over/pour salesman and made Notre Dame join in all sports including football when they joined in 1995, the conference would have been much stronger and stable with ND being the foundation. Tranghese should have sold them on Notre Dame coming back to the glory days it once had! This entire time they had their chances to say, we want to keep this league strong and they had to be selfish and be independent in football.
Imagine the league of Miami, Vtech, ND, BC, Pitt WVU, Rutgers and Syracuse with bball only Uconn, Nova, Gtown, SH, StJ and Prov. That is a solid league that wouldn't have been touched by the ACC. In fact, I think they might have been able to snatch Penn State back from the Big 10.

Its sorta sad!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

Count me in the not sad one iota crew. Can't wait for ACC competition and not this hybrid mess we've existed in the past 20 years. Good riddance to the Big East
I completely agree.

I did love the original Big East basketball, before the conference was reorganized.

I'm still really annoyed that the Big East as we knew it will be gone forever! I was thinking that if Tranghese wasn't such a push over/pour salesman and made Notre Dame join in all sports including football when they joined in 1995, the conference would have been much stronger and stable with ND being the foundation. Tranghese should have sold them on Notre Dame coming back to the glory days it once had! This entire time they had their chances to say, we want to keep this league strong and they had to be selfish and be independent in football.
Imagine the league of Miami, Vtech, ND, BC, Pitt WVU, Rutgers and Syracuse with bball only Uconn, Nova, Gtown, SH, StJ and Prov. That is a solid league that wouldn't have been touched by the ACC. In fact, I think they might have been able to snatch Penn State back from the Big 10.

Its sorta sad!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

------------------

"if Tranghese wasn't such a push over/pour salesman" ...

Please stop. Miami and VT are in a great conference that makes geographical sense for them. SU is now home with Pitt and BC, 5 private schools and mid-size state universities like UVA and UNC. If ND wants to join the ACC, they are free to do so.

ND has wanted to and wants to have a national football schedule; they don't want to live according to your fantasy world.

Right ... ND was never going to join the BE full time no matter who was in charge of it.

That said, they should have gotten a much better "sweetheart" deal like the one that is rumored now. Take ND's other sports and the football team will schedule your conference at least 6 games a season OOC. This would mean ND would be playing half it's games in your conference. There should also have been a very high payout for these games since it was common knowledge that ND is getting huge NBC dollars for their games and that money should be shared with your affiliate.

I sure hope the ACC doesn't bite on this deal or one like it but the Big East should have had something like this with ND back when they had the chance to do so.

I'm indifferent to the whole thing.

I will miss the UConn, Villanova, GTown BBall games, but can't wait for Duke, NC and Maryland.

I will miss the WVU and Rutgers FBall games (Rutgers as of the last 5-8 years), but can't wait for BC and VTech again.

Right ... ND was never going to join the BE full time no matter who was in charge of it.

That said, they should have gotten a much better "sweetheart" deal like the one that is rumored now. Take ND's other sports and the football team will schedule your conference at least 6 games a season OOC. This would mean ND would be playing half it's games in your conference. There should also have been a very high payout for these games since it was common knowledge that ND is getting huge NBC dollars for their games and that money should be shared with your affiliate.

I sure hope the ACC doesn't bite on this deal or one like it but the Big East should have had something like this with ND back when they had the chance to do so.

Actually, ND should never been allowed to get it's other sports in the door, period. We got what? A minor bowl tie in due to them? Gee great. The BE would have existed nicely without their other sports.

F-them and the horse they rode in on

Its sorta sad!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

What a bunch of nonsense.

No salesman in the world could have sold ND on joining for all sports.

Notre Dame maximizing the revenue and exposure it gets from football is not "selfishness". It's the American Way. They didn't owe the other Big East schools anything other that what they contracted to provide.

You can weep about the demise of Big East footbal all you want. But it wasn't NDs responsibility to fix by sacrificing its own potesntial.

Well, now Notre Dame is the "most committed" school in the entire Big East and is chairing the expansion committee. Wait...what's this about exploring joining the Big 12 and ACC. That can't possibly be. No one is more loyal to the Big East than Notre Dame. The Big East commissioner said so.

but they owed the big east by not "GETTING INVOLVED" in the football t.v. contract.

that act was selfish in many ways

We acted selfish in many ways too. Thankfully.

but they owed the big east by not "GETTING INVOLVED" in the football t.v. contract.

"Owe"? ""Owe"? What ND "owed" the Big East was to compete in all the sports that they contracted to compete in. They did that and they did it well. And they added some academic luster to a conference that increasingly needed it.

How could ND have gotten involved in the TV contract? Would they have had to sacrifice their own contract with NBC in any way?

To whine that ND could have saved the Big East is silly.

One could say that Rutgers could have saved the Big East by awakening latent college football interest in the NJ market, but instead they found it convenient and easy to make a minimal investment and just cash Big East checks for the first ten years they were in the Conference.

One could say that Temple could have saved the Big East if had been succssful in that market.

Well, now Notre Dame is the "most committed" school in the entire Big East and is chairing the expansion committee. Wait...what's this about exploring joining the Big 12 and ACC. That can't possibly be. No one is more loyal to the Big East than Notre Dame. The Big East commissioner said so.
Further disintegration of the Big East may nudge them into a different mind set.

im sorry, its early.

is this supposed to be sarcastic, or is it just plain stoopid???

thanks in advance.

Oh Lord

I will miss the traditional rivalries like UConn, WVU and GTown

I’ll get over losing Villanova, St.John’s, Notre Dame and Louisville.

I will totally not miss Rutgers, Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Marquette, South Florida or Cincinnati in the least.

guess i got my answer.

and its not the one i was hoping for.....:eek:

Oh Lord

No one school is to blame for the demise of the BE.

This league has ALWAYS had dysfunctionality built into it. Hell, it was dysfunctional before it became a football league. We couldn't even get schools to see that PSU was necessary to solidify an Eastern Sports Conference. Thus, the stability was never there.

Even with Miami, there was always a sense that they had a wandering eye. BC's self-inflated opinion of their position in the NCAA has always made them less than trustworthy. The BB schools have been hanging their hats on Mullin, Ewing, an Pinckney for 20 years. Villanova and G'town are the only two schools with any relevance out of all of the schools. Regionalization has become a thing of the past in the BE. Marquette's a fine program, but they do nothing for me at least, as a fan. Depaul is a joke. They belong with SHU and Rutgers and Providence. They will make a nice DII conference (kidding).

Syracuse has been looking to get out of this mess for a long time. I'm guessing probably 10 years. We finally did. Don't blame anyone. We have been a longstanding, flagship program in a conference that was doomed to whither and die.

I'm looking forward to my first basketball road trip to Wake Forest. I get chills thinking about it.

so N.D. voted yes to the t.v. contract when they had th

i am not whinning how about how N.D. could have saved the big east,i was just pointing out how stupid it was for marinatto allowed them a vote to t.v. contract when they had one all their own.

would N.D. allow the other big east teams a vote on their t.v. contract.

i would like to hear your responce to that question.

i never supported N.D. and their special dealings with the big east.

Did all the basketball school get a vote? If so, how different is that than Notre Dame?

End of the day, no one put a gun to Providence's head to give Notre Dame the deal they had. I am sure whatever #s were run were found to be mutually helpful.

Did all the basketball school get a vote? If so, how different is that than Notre Dame?

Because Notre Dame's biggest customer is NBC. Notre Dame rejected an extension with ESPN which allowed the possibility for the BEC to negotiate their contract with other competitors besides ESPN, including ... NBC.

Definitely conflict of interest ... to say the least.

Actually, ND should never been allowed to get it's other sports in the door, period. We got what? A minor bowl tie in due to them? Gee great. The BE would have existed nicely without their other sports.

F-them and the horse they rode in on

I agree they should have never been let in ... but if it was deemed necessary then a MUCH better deal should have been worked out.

Count me in the not sad one iota crew. Can't wait for ACC competition and not this hybrid mess we've existed in the past 20 years. Good riddance to the Big East

Yep, for me, the feeling in 2003 was sadness (and anger, and jealousy, etc.).

The feeling in 2011 is salvation.

Jake C. was right (we would roo the day PSU was voted down).

You bet Notre Dame could've saved the Big East but I personally don't blame them. Sure I complained about them but if you were Notre Dame would you have done anything differently? Were they greedy? Remember this, the Big East invited them in for their cache and allowed them to drink for free. Was ND wrong? Time will tell. Notre Dame has some decisions to make as their nice little league for BB and other sports is starting to look ugly.

We should thank our lucky stars Cuse got out of this clusterfluck. You wanna be UConn or Rutgirls right now? If they don't get picked up they are looking at being in some sort of mutant C-USA. Recruiting surely will drop off...neither school possesses smart enough coaches to become an eastern Boise.

The new (BE) league will be like the Big East but even more non-sensical. MSG will not be the same without the Orange in March...can't wait till the 100 USF, UCF, Houston and SMU fans show up. Scalpers are crying.

The ACC is our best possible outcome. We lose the BE BB Tourney but overall there are more plusses for the school athletically and more importantly academically. Brand matters and we improved our brand.

I'm looking forward to my first basketball road trip to Wake Forest. I get chills thinking about it.

Oh yeah its a shame we wont get to play in the legendary gyms of USF, Houston, and TCU. Classic rivalry games, ya know?

Please allow me a moment to be the dirty capitalist pig of the group...

$15 million per year
vs.
$3 million per year

Which would you choose? Anyone bemoaning the death of the old Big East can go cry me a river...

I will miss play WVU in football. There is not one other team in the BE that I will miss in football. AND we get to maintain or renew series with Pitt, BC, Miami, VT, Maryland -- All teams that I look forward to SU playing. SOmething tells me that GTech, Clemson, Virginia and FSU will segue in nicely too.

In basketball, I will miss playing SJU, UConn, Nova and GTown. Though I suspect we will still have regular games against these teams. And now these will become grudge matches, which is always fun for the fans. I will not miss playing LVille or Marquette -- our run with them was so short, it isn't even on the list. I will not miss playing conference games against Providence, WVU, Seton Hall, Buttgers, DePaul (And now I have to actually think about who I am missing in this list. How pathetic is that. That is the trouble with the BE.) Oh yes...) Cincy, USF (holy crap!), am I missing anyone? Oh yes, Notre Dame. Good bball rival, but I think we'll be playing them too eventually. And we pick up series with teams we already hate, like UNC and Duke. Plus keep rivalries with Pitt and BC -- with the possibility of one or two others joining in eventually.

This isn't even beginning to address lacrosse. IMHO, the new ACC lacrosse conference will help to rapidly propel the sport into the upper echelon of college sports.

All the while, we get to play in a stable conference that is actually respected nationally (by everyone except BE fans, of course) with no partial members, no special considerations for certain teams, in a true North-to-South, East Coast conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom