It's Sunday - let's step back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's Sunday - let's step back

They changed the rule for football so scholarships are now for four years.

I'm sure there is language about being recruited scholarship guys having the guaranteed and if walkons are added the old rules still apply. If it was a hard 4 year/or rest of eligibility very few walk ons would be awarded scholarships going forward and they would end up getting majorly penalized by rule intended to benefit the student athletes (But I guess we never know with the NCAA and it's reputations).

I'm sure there is language about being recruited scholarship guys having the guaranteed and if walkons are added the old rules still apply. If it was a hard 4 year/or rest of eligibility very few walk ons would be awarded scholarships going forward and they would end up getting majorly penalized by rule intended to benefit the student athletes (But I guess we never know with the NCAA and it's reputations).
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

"Because of the guaranteed scholarship, schools will not be permitted to rid their roster of a player who they deem to be underachieving athletically. Academics or off-the-field issues, including but not limited to failed drug tests and arrests, would allow schools the opportunity to strip a player of his/her scholarship."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

"Because of the guaranteed scholarship, schools will not be permitted to rid their roster of a player who they deem to be underachieving athletically. Academics or off-the-field issues, including but not limited to failed drug tests and arrests, would allow schools the opportunity to strip a player of his/her scholarship."

Yeah that's all that I'd expect to read but I see no mention of walk on situations.

Kind of like that LB kid that was a late add in the summer/fall from Jersey who ended up not sticking was under different rules because he wasn't a "recruited scholarship guy" even though there was some confusion whether he was scholarship or not.

Yeah that's all that I'ditoexpect to read but I see no mention of walk on situations.

Kind of like that LB kid that was a late add in the summer/fall from Jersey who ended up not sticking was under different rules because he wasn't a "recruited scholarship guy" even though there was some confusion whether he was scholarship or not.

Giordano, to my understanding, never had a scholarship. And if he did he would have met one of the reasons for why a scholarship can be pulled.

Giordano was a blueshirt... or an attempt at one.

"They are eligible to both enroll and play during the initial fall semester following their high school graduation or junior college transfer, but are not counted as an incoming scholarship player until the following year’s recruiting class.

It’s a contrast from grayshirts, who are not permitted to enroll or play immediately out of high school.

The biggest distinction for blueshirts however, is that the rule interpretation mandates that the players in question are not recruited.

That is defined by the NCAA as not having any of the following: an official visit to the school, an in-home visit from the school’s coaching staff or a letter of intent issued for the student athlete to submit.

If neither of those have occurred, the player is eligible to be a blueshirt beginning the day after fall camp starts. At that point, he may be awarded a scholarship and counted forwarded to the next year’s recruiting class."

Last edited:
A greyshirt maybe possible?? for someone already committed...wouldn't surprise me if one of the kids scheduled for next week commits before his visit.

Assuming the program looks like it is reviving under Dino and the stadium issue is announced...I see a Top 25-30 class coming next year...

I like your thinking Mark!!!

Which is why I would believe that walkons won't be offered scholarships until senior year. Can't get 4 years when they only have 1-2 years of school left max. Unless they want to get 2 years of grad school for free, with no eligibility left they can't count towards the football team.

isnt there a difference between a scholie when you sign a letter of intent and a scholie because the school hasnt used them up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom