IUP postgame thoughts | Syracusefan.com

IUP postgame thoughts

Scott11

Starter
This was the perfect kind of opponent to play in an exhibition game. They knew what they were doing and didn’t just show up to get dunked on.
-we had more tipped balls in tonight‘s game then we would’ve in 10 games last year. Nice to see athleticism on the defensive end.
-Thought Joe played well and did not force his shots. Really was nice not to see him bringing up the ball.
-Judah is really exciting. I think he was too anxious at first but in the second half he simply was too quick and crafty for those kids to guard. Showed a nice stroke. Will have to be sure not to leave his feet though without a plan as he did in the first half.
-I thought Benny was our best player tonight. Obviously he had a double double but after a little bit of a slow start he really was aggressive all over the court. Also you can see he has worked on his shot because that three-pointer had more arc then we saw all last season and he also looked more comfortable at the line. Finally he looks stronger and carried himself with much more confidence. That may be the most important thing of all for that particular player.
-Quadir will be a fan favorite. He looks incredibly athletic and with long arms that will result in deflections and steals. Kind of weird that he was rumored to be a lazy defender in high school because he looked enthusiastic and worked hard.
-Bell forced a couple of shots which will not make JB happy. I was impressed with Taylor, he looked unintimidated and took care of the ball and was athletic on d with a nice block. Likewise in the few minutes that he received I thought Brown looked like a guy who is what we hope he is, a strong hard-working college player who will be a great program guy.
-i’m not saying that this was like beating a good ACC team but midway through the second half we were down and turned this one into a laugher. Lots to work on for sure but I thought this was exciting to watch and I’m looking forward to seeing these freshmen keep improving.

Last edited:
This was the perfect kind of opponent to play in an exhibition game. They knew what they were doing and didn’t just show up to get dunked on.
-we had more tipped balls in tonight‘s game then we would’ve in 10 games last year. Nice to see athleticism on the defensive end.
-Thought Joe played well and did not force his shots. Really was nice not to see him bringing up the ball.
-Judah is really exciting. I think he was too anxious at first but in the second half he simply was too quick and crafty for those kids to guard. Showed a nice stroke. Will have to be sure not to leave his feet though without a plan as he did in the first half.
-I thought Benny was our best player tonight. Obviously he had a double double but after a little bit of a slow start he really was aggressive all over the court. Also you can see he has worked on his shot because that three-pointer had more arc then we saw all last season and he also looked more comfortable at the line. Finally he looks stronger and carried himself with much more confidence. That may be the most important thing of all for that particular player.
-Quadir will be a fan favorite. He looks incredibly athletic and with long arms that will result in deflections and steals. Kind of weird that he was rumored to be a lazy defender in high school because he looked enthusiastic and worked hard.
-Bell forced a couple of shots which will not make JB happy. I was impressed with Taylor, he looked unintimidated and took care of the ball and was athletic on d with a nice block. Likewise in the few minutes that he received I thought Brown looked like a guy who is what we hope he is, a strong hard-working college player who will be a great program guy.
-i’m not saying that this was like beating a good ACC team but midway through the second half we were down and turn this one into a laugher. Lots to work on for sure but I thought this was exciting to watch and I’m looking forward to seeing these freshmen keep improving.
yeah something clicked midway thru 2nd half...and they started playing great.

1. for me, it is all about bball IQ...the team has the talent and the athleticism needed...

now it's about playing smart and playing together.

can the team figure it out and actually make each other better?

in recent seasons - it has seemed that the team has always lost the bball IQ battle IMO

2. at the moment ...playing time is up for grabs - which is exciting for the fans and players.

it is motivating but also distracting...

as the season winds on the rotation and roles will become defined

but I think the hunger that the players have now needs to be cultivated and maintained

need a deep rotation all year, imo

which will make 1. above hard to accomplish...

right now players are trying to stake their cliam for PT...so it can impact the cohesion of the team imo...

but the team has talent and pieces to make noise if they can gel. imo...

happy that teams wont out-athletic this team off the court - at the bare minimum

Good to see them assert themselves in the second half. Hard to tell for sure from the highlights, but it looked like JG3 played more like the PG in the second half. Not a knock on Judah (only 1 assist in 32 minutes), but maybe Boeheim went back to the tried and true to win the ballgame. Can't blame him.

The battle for the fifth spot (after Edwards, Williams, Girard, and Mintz) should be interesting. I thought Copeland looked good, but again, hard to tell from just the highlights. Brown and Taylor looked OK, too. Boeheim is (rightfully) looking for defense and rebounding, stuff one doesn't see in highlights.

I hope the competition for that brings out the best in everyone.

Last edited:
This is a team with 7 newcomers and only 2 returning starters. It is going to take some time for these guys to figure out their roles. You could see that happening in our first exhibition game. I think it was smart of JB to get all those guys out there in the first half. The new guys were predictably unsettled. But, by the middle of the second half, things started to slow down. I hope we see continued improvement in the next exhibition.

-i’m not saying that this was like beating a good ACC team but midway through the second half we were down and turned this one into a laugher. Lots to work on for sure but I thought this was exciting to watch and I’m looking forward to seeing these freshmen keep improving.
Plenty of positives, loads of potential, however, freshmen will be freshmen, I would expect mistakes throughout the season but hopefully a reduction as time goes on. As a reminder, even a freshman Melo had some early growing pains.

What “clicked” in the second half is that JB stopped subbing like he didn’t already know who he had and relented on the punitive subs for mistakes. Some cohesiveness developed, and players had a chance to feel out the game and get some rhythm.

Judah is going to be nice. But, does he always go right? Chris Bell’s shots are concerning. Does not look like a guy who could win a 3pt contest. I expect those were first game jitters or somesuch, but I would hope he becomes more than just a camp out and chuck guy. In the scrimmage, he had a nice short range pull up that I thought was a nice sign towards him being versatile.

Solid stuff from Brown. The Big Ticket didn’t look ‘too skinny.’ He‘ll contribute sooner than later. Hima was decent with upside.

Copeland is going to be a favorite. I’m trying to figure out a comp for him. He reminds me of someone in terms of posture and physique. He’s the kind of gamer we haven’t had for a while.

Benny, I’m not sure of. Definitely more assertive, but I still see some rookie stuff in his game. Like those two drive and pull ups he took. He made one and double clutched the second. Both seem like he went too far to the baseline and was shooting from behind the glass. Other than that, solid. I expected to see more of a play making dynamic between him and Judah, though. Mintz didn’t seem to do much for others. But, hey—small sample size with a whack rotation and he knew he needed to put it all on his back in the second half.

Joe—it will be interesting to see how this plays out. We all expect him to be our most prolific scorer this season, and he probably will be, just because everyone else will be erratic. But I don’t see him getting the volume he would need to average 18+ Ppg. That, again, though, is prolly just from the randomness of this game’s lineup. He‘ll end up being the constant, and because everyone else is quick and athletic, it’ll be tougher for opponents to really dedicate all efforts to stopping him.

Wanted to see more from Jesse against a shorter team and we didn’t seem to have a scheme to exploit that. This game was a bit too much of randomness to make good assessments from. But for a team that underperformed last year and has so many question marks, I would have liked to have seen more thoughtfulness in all aspects of the game and approach to it.

What “clicked” in the second half is that JB stopped subbing like he didn’t already know who he had and relented on the punitive subs for mistakes. Some cohesiveness developed, and players had a chance to feel out the game and get some rhythm.

Judah is going to be nice. But, does he always go right? Chris Bell’s shots are concerning. Does not look like a guy who could win a 3pt contest. I expect those were first game jitters or somesuch, but I would hope he becomes more than just a camp out and chuck guy. In the scrimmage, he had a nice short range pull up that I thought was a nice sign towards him being versatile.

Solid stuff from Brown. The Big Ticket didn’t look ‘too skinny.’ He‘ll contribute sooner than later. Hima was decent with upside.

Copeland is going to be a favorite. I’m trying to figure out a comp for him. He reminds me of someone in terms of posture and physique. He’s the kind of gamer we haven’t had for a while.

Benny, I’m not sure of. Definitely more assertive, but I still see some rookie stuff in his game. Like those two drive and pull ups he took. He made one and double clutched the second. Both seem like he went too far to the baseline and was shooting from behind the glass. Other than that, solid. I expected to see more of a play making dynamic between him and Judah, though. Mintz didn’t seem to do much for others. But, hey—small sample size with a whack rotation and he knew he needed to put it all on his back in the second half.

Joe—it will be interesting to see how this plays out. We all expect him to be our most prolific scorer this season, and he probably will be, just because everyone else will be erratic. But I don’t see him getting the volume he would need to average 18+ Ppg. That, again, though, is prolly just from the randomness of this game’s lineup. He‘ll end up being the constant, and because everyone else is quick and athletic, it’ll be tougher for opponents to really dedicate all efforts to stopping him.

Wanted to see more from Jesse against a shorter team and we didn’t seem to have a scheme to exploit that. This game was a bit too much of randomness to make good assessments from. But for a team that underperformed last year and has so many question marks, I would have liked to have seen more thoughtfulness in all aspects of the game and approach to it.

This is going to sound wild and I only caught highlights of this one, but just
in terms of posture he reminded me of Mookie Jones.
Always looked hunched over to me/playing smaller than he is.

Obviously a more fluid athlete which reminded me of Wes.

Better handle than Wes and lower reminds me of MCW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom