I've been watchign college football for 50 years | Syracusefan.com

I've been watchign college football for 50 years

SWC75

Bored Historian
...and it's been pplayed for over 100 and I have never seen games interrupted or terminated by rainstorms like this. I get that you don't want to be in an open space or sitting on a metal bench in an electrical storm. But surely this is not the first time they've happened during football games. Is it that we are just more cautious now or is climate change causing new problems?

By the way, when is all this bad weather going to get here. Not that I wanted it but I wanted to go to one of the last two Chiefs games and I didn't go to tonight's game due to the dire forcast. Now they are saying it's going to start overnight and rain through tomorrow. But will that even happen?

Can't speak for other locations, although I do not recall having any issues with games while growing up in Skaneateles (Go Lakers). But having lived in the Tampa area now for fourteen years, have seen many games interrupted by storms. This whole area of Central Florida is the lightning capital of the US and one of the worst in the world. Several times, Buc games have actually been interrupted (similar to rain delays in baseball). But I do not recall ANYTHING like yesterday where games were held up for hours and even called. Of course, the storms here tend to be much shorter and while being quite intense.

...and it's been pplayed for over 100 and I have never seen games interrupted or terminated by rainstorms like this. I get that you don't want to be in an open space or sitting on a metal bench in an electrical storm. But surely this is not the first time they've happened during football games. Is it that we are just more cautious now or is climate change causing new problems?

By the way, when is all this bad weather going to get here. Not that I wanted it but I wanted to go to one of the last two Chiefs games and I didn't go to tonight's game due to the dire forcast. Now they are saying it's going to start overnight and rain through tomorrow. But will that even happen?

I was saying the same thing today. I've never seen it either. It must be an increased awareness, which is good of course. In addition, you have to assume that ND is hyper-sensitive to weather issues after the kid fell off the platform.

When I coached youth sports, there was always the rule about first thunder/lightening, everybody into the cars and nobody got out until 30 min after the last lightening

I was thinking the same thing... this WVU game is getting more ridiculous than the Notre Dame vs. USF game last night... they are beyond 6 hours from kickoff and are currently in another weather delay. I can't believe how many games were interrupted this week-end... I don't remember another week-end like it in college football.