i've never cared less about the other teams in a bracket | Syracusefan.com

i've never cared less about the other teams in a bracket

Millhouse

Living Legend
lots of years there is talk about this or that matchup but this year, none of it matters. if we can start throwing the ball in the goddamn basket we can win it all. if we play like we've been playing, we'll be out the first weekend. so boring to talk about. when they're great, what's there to say? you just enjoy it. when they're terrible, it's not hard to figure out why they're terrible

I'm just lacking the excitement this year that I normally have. Even with the SU teams that under-performed in the past, I had a sense that they would play to their potential and go on a deep run. I just don't have any confidence in this year's team being able to do anything and I don't like feeling this way.

lots of years there is talk about this or that matchup but this year, none of it matters. if we can start throwing the ball in the goddamn basket we can win it all. if we play like we've been playing, we'll be out the first weekend. so boring to talk about. when they're great, what's there to say? you just enjoy it. when they're terrible, it's not hard to figure out why they're terrible

like throwing pebbles in the ocean

I'm just lacking the excitement this year that I normally have. Even with the SU teams that under-performed in the past, I had a sense that they would play to their potential and go on a deep run. I just don't have any confidence in this year's team being able to do anything and I don't like feeling this way.
Did you think that last year, because I didnt. Im not knocking you, we look awful right now and noone has been harder on this coach and his insistence on running the offense through CJ and Cooney (2 horribly inefficient players) than me, BUT I just think we have too much talent to flame out.

I expect Cooney to start shooting decent, not NBA Jam "Hes on fireeee", but decent. I expect Ennis and Grant to play a bigger role in the offense. I expect CJ to be more efficient. Most importantly, last year our defense wasnt that great until the Tourney, we dont have MCW and Triche up top but I expect us to play better defense in the Tournament.

Did you think that last year, because I didnt. Im not knocking you, we look awful right now and noone has been harder on this coach and his insistence on running the offense through CJ and Cooney (2 horribly inefficient players) than me, BUT I just think we have too much talent to flame out.

I expect Cooney to start shooting decent, not NBA Jam "Hes on fireeee", but decent. I expect Ennis and Grant to play a bigger role in the offense. I expect CJ to be more efficient. Most importantly, last year our defense wasnt that great until the Tourney, we dont have MCW and Triche up top but I expect us to play better defense in the Tournament.

Cooney gonna get hot.

I was excited heading into the NCAAT last year after our BET run. I wasn't down at all after the L'ville game because our guys got tired after playing an extra game and the refs let L'ville absolutely molest our guys at a level rarely seen in a D1 game. We had a lot better 3pt shooting last year. I bet most teams could match our team 3 pt % over the last 10 games shooting half-court shots.

I'm not sure I've ever related to a post more than this one. I am usually analyzing potential match-ups throughout the bracket. This year, I've barely looked. If we shoot well, we can beat anybody (although I watched the Kentucky at Florida game last week and Florida looked a little scary).

we need to get over 40% if we get to 45% we will win multiple games.. we lost 4 games in the last few seconds shooting 35%. is shooting 40% too much to ask? only Virginia did it not come down to shooting and that was more a function of Grant not playing..

we need to get over 40% if we get to 45% we will win multiple games.. we lost 4 games in the last few seconds shooting 35%. is shooting 40% too much to ask? only Virginia did it not come down to shooting and that was more a function of Grant not playing..

^^^THIS...

Hope they figure it out as the potential is there...

But something about this slow regression of the team and the malaise offensively seems like more than just a a rough patch and we are who we are at this point... Offensively simply not very good.

I think they have the potential to turn it on an play the occasional stellar game.

I don't think they have the consistency to do it over multiple games.

Hope I am wrong and a hot streak can always start when you least expect it.

But I must admit, my expectations are pedestrian... I would consider sweet 16 a success for this team in its current run of form.

i want these rules
cooney/gbinije: sorry, no more shooting in the half court for you. if you want to score, steal and dunk.
everyone: never pass the ball to keita. infraction punishable by death.
everyone but grant: never pass the ball to christmas. unless he scores, then it's ok. not punishable by death.
christmas: you have the worst backup ever. it's ok to give up a layup.
fair: shoot as much as you want but you only get 2 dribbles.
grant: stop shooting 18 foot jumpers, do some goofy fall down drives as much as you want.
ennis: you're the stretch the defense make them play honest blah blah guy.

I'm not sure I've ever related to a post more than this one. I am usually analyzing potential match-ups throughout the bracket. This year, I've barely looked. If we shoot well, we can beat anybody (although I watched the Kentucky at Florida game last week and Florida looked a little scary).
I think it can be summed up this way: There's no reason we can't beat ANYONE in this tournament...including ourselves.
If we keep the other guys from scoring easy points in the paint and shoot somewhere close to respectably we'll be ok.

The overanalysis about who was put in the toughest bracket is an annual rite of passage. I figured Florida, having Kansas and SU, would be thought to have it tough. Then Dickie V is all over how tough Wichita State has it. Then Bilas is talking about how tough Arizona has it. And there doesn't seem to be a human that's picking UVA over Michigan State.

I guess it's just hard to be a #1? Don't know their message.

It all evens out. You play well, you win games.

Me, too. Can't bear to get my hopes up after the way this season has fallen apart. I literally have not looked at a bracket and didn't watch the selection show.

We scored 38 points in the second half against NC State. The problem was, so did they.

As poor as our offense can be at times, our second half defense has not been great. Other than the stat above, I don't have the numbers, I'm just going off the eye test (everyone's favorite).

I actually feel okay about the team. I suppose because I can't seeing us getting blown out. It seems every game we play is close, so it's all going to come down to how we close out. The lowered expectations are nice in that way - it's all up from here (I hope).

In general though I'm less excited. I think that stems primarily from being in the ACC though. I used to get excited about watching all the other BE teams, this year, not so much.

if they make just HALF of the layups and 5footers they miss...Orange will win most games by 5 or 6.
I have been saying that ALL year, but about 3 games ago it hit me. Missing the layups and 5 footers is as much a part of our DNA as the rock falling out of BMK's hands.

I actually feel okay about the team. I suppose because I can't seeing us getting blown out. It seems every game we play is close, so it's all going to come down to how we close out. The lowered expectations are nice in that way - it's all up from here (I hope).

In general though I'm less excited. I think that stems primarily from being in the ACC though. I used to get excited about watching all the other BE teams, this year, not so much.
You came close to describing how I feel. Actually my head is in a better spot now than it would have been if we were 30-2 at this point, as weird as it sounds now, ya know? Kind of like I felt last year after getting beat at historic levels by 'Ville and G'Town, just before our final 4 run.
The lack of excitement re: ACC, the tournament was a letdown to me. The near empty area for the early games, and playing NC St and Maryland and Ga Tech doesn't give me the thrill it may have back in '02 or '92. I grew up on the classic ACC tournaments of the '70's re: UNC:NCSt:UM. But I don't know if it was the venue or what, this years ACC it was just *blah*
And I really don't think SU losing caused it. And I am speaking from the vantage point that I am pro-ACC move all the way. Just it feels different as you say.

See ? It's a good thing we didn't get a Tournament invite in 2001-02, you would have really been bummed out.

Part of this is self-preservation mode. After a loss like Friday , I forget basketball was invented until about 24 hrs before the next game. I have perfected this strategy after being a fan for the last 42 years. (And I only really got it about 15 yrs ago)

See ? It's a good thing we didn't get a Tournament invite in 2001-02, you would have really been bummed out.
Oh, I was sufficiently bummed out. 2007 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom