I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong

Love the enthusiasm. Sure as hell beats the alternative.

I think that for teams who don't have a recent history of success, there is a tipping point game in a season where people begin to believe that they're for real. In 2018 we actually had two of those: first against FSU, and then later when we beat NC State (and atoned for the Pitt slip up).

This week could absolutely fulfil the same dynamic. Past SU teams would blow this opportunity. Here's to hoping this one is different.

I think that for teams who don't have a recent history of success, there is a tipping point game in a season where people begin to believe that they're for real. In 2018 we actually had two of those: first against FSU, and then later when we beat NC State (and atoned for the Pitt slip up).

This week could absolutely fulfil the same dynamic. Past SU teams would blow this opportunity. Here's to hoping this one is different.
And just like 2018 we knew we had a chance to be good after FSU and coming close to beating Clemson. This year we haven’t had a win that gives me that feeling. Purdue will tell me something.

I would rather enjoy it while it’s happening and fully immersed and enjoy a great year. I don’t want to stay in my defensive mode trying to protect myself from pain, only to look back on a great year to realize I never even enjoyed it real time

Why can't you be fully immersed and enjoy the season why (it is) happening? Stay in the moment. So far, we are 2-0, and there has been much to enjoy to date. Not allowing yourself to leak too far into the future is how you will savor the moment for what it is in the here and now...where life is actually lived.

This way, if we do end up at year's end having a remarkable record/season, it would've been one hell of great ride along the way...week to week...in real time. :)

Last edited:
As coach Mac used to say, "We're right where we want to be."
Purdue is a big test. Can we do more? Can we be a team that is reliably competent? Do we have the talent (and luck) to compete and win regularly? Haven't been this excited in a while. It happens. I can't tamp it down. You know what I mean don't you.
A win, the national exposure, there's talk about our high-flying QB Elvis Shrader, a Game Day, a Tucker eruption, a stalwart D. We don't get that around here often and when there's a whiff of it, it's mightily intoxicating.
Find a way to win baby.
If they do "do" Purdue, my old ass will be at the Virginia game with face paint.

And just like 2018 we knew we had a chance to be good after FSU and coming close to beating Clemson. This year we haven’t had a win that gives me that feeling. Purdue will tell me something.

Purdue will definitely tell me something. But I do have a good feeling about the year even if UL ends up being terrible this year. They have a QB who’s style has historically given us fits and we put him in a shell as well as dominating the rest of their team. We then didn’t get in a rock fight with Uconn which has been a common theme when playing teams like Akron, Colgate, etc.

So just the feeling from this team is far different than in years past. So I’m giddy and people have put me on “ignore” in the past because I wasn’t giddy enough during a 1 win season.

It's still very early. Patience, grasshopper.

And yes, I agree - we will know a LOT more after (hopefully) kicking Purdon't in their collective .

Shrader has been excellent so far, much improved passing and not turning it over either. O-line has held up fairly well, a few issues but no injuries and at times has been dominant. I feel like barring major injuries this O should hold up all year (though we need the Wrs to keep developing).

That said I would pump the brakes a bit until after Purdue. Win that game and I think the potential ceiling is sky high. Need to see what this defense does against a really good offense. Purdue has almost no run game so I think that should be a plus for us but this will be by far our biggest test yet.
Key for Purdue is getting pressure on their QB, he is kind of the opposite of Malik, he has little escapabilty or run threat but is a pretty good passer. Their starter at RB is okay but falls off after him. I think we have a decent chance for a win here.

I agree we have NFL talent on defense but there's also big talent gaps that concern me. The theme on this defense will be how susceptible they will be to the big play and inconsistency on getting pressures.
Very true. That 1987 defense had 0 holes in it. By my count, there were 4 future NFL guys on the DL: Fraser, Gregory, Burnett and Conover.

Maybe it will be the crew that gave us 8 plays from the 1 against Iowa? Think positively.
The road team brings their refs. I still get steamed about that "late" hit on the QB against Northwestern when Doug was the coach, The guy was clearly in bounds.

Purdue will definitely tell me something. But I do have a good feeling about the year even if UL ends up being terrible this year. They have a QB who’s style has historically given us fits and we put him in a shell as well as dominating the rest of their team. We then didn’t get in a rock fight with Uconn which has been a common theme when playing teams like Akron, Colgate, etc.

So just the feeling from this team is far different than in years past. So I’m giddy and people have put me on “ignore” in the past because I wasn’t giddy enough during a 1 win season.
We like what we see so far and we all have a good feeling about this team. That doesn’t mean I don’t look forward to seeing how they do against better competition. After Clemson 2018. I knew were would be a 8-9 win team. I felt really good about them and that was after a loss.

The road team brings their refs. I still get steamed about that "late" hit on the QB against Northwestern when Doug was the coach, The guy was clearly in bounds.
Correct. And Iowa was accompanied by Big10 refs when they visited the Dome in 2006. It's a pretty infamous game amongst SU fans.

Avoiding anymore key injuries.
2 people in particular, Tucker and Shrader, Shrader I noticed slid that one time, needs to do that, rather the running over people.

Not to be a party pooper, but realistically, the top flight schools have OL/DL's that average 40-50 lbs more than us.

If they chose to do so, they could likely smashmouth us into oblivion, and sack and hurry GS to death (figuratively).

In 1987, we had competitive OL/DL's, as good as anyone's. Not the case this year.

Not to be a party pooper, but realistically, the top flight schools have OL/DL's that average 40-50 lbs more than us.

If they chose to do so, they could likely smashmouth us into oblivion, and sack and hurry GS to death (figuratively).

In 1987, we had competitive OL/DL's, as good as anyone's. Not the case this year.
I agree the D-Line is undersized, but the O-Line averages 330lbs. I would bet that is bigger than the average P5 Oline

I’ve been getting these same vibes but didn’t want to say it out loud

We have talent, leadership, best depth since the 90s and the best coaching since the 80s-90s

This will be a much better team by year end, the key is gutting out these first 5 games!
i said that post game at Uconn and my fellow tailgaters looked at me quite crossly! I know one game at a time, but for us fans we can dream......

I question any new member that joins and immediately makes condescending remarks. This post smells and looks like a troll.

Yeah, this weekend isn't do or die on the season, but it probably is do or die on what ticket sales look like for the rest of this season.

We've had so many letdowns in front of the home fans.

If we play well and lock up another good home win, I think fan buy-in for the rest of the year is there and it'll translate into ticket sales.

This seems like an all time jinx. I dont know what RF was thinking with this post.

What I am looking forward to is Tucker's breakout game for 2022. He has been nice but he hasn't unloaded yet this season. He is due. Calling it right now. 24 for 168 on Saturday.

I question any new member that joins and immediately makes condescending remarks. This post smells and looks like a troll.

Agreed and that and it's not even factually correct considering the size of are O Line ad we all know we are undersized at D Line but we also run a scheme to help offset some of the issue as well.

I do agree with this week though I feel like we will win the game but would like to see it happen prior to jumping ALL THE WAY IN. Have no issue with anyone that has, that's what fans are suppose to do.

I am happy for everyone involved with the program so far, they have really put their head down and played really well and have definitely quieted some of the critics. A win Saturday would help that much more. Purdue is good but certainly very beatable with a solid effort. The coaching has been really damn good as well as the play

Question away. I used to watch Jimmy B in Manley, as a player.

My dad helped put the roof on Manley, and would take us to football games. In Archbold Stadium.

Just keeping my feet on the ground.