I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong

Not to be a party pooper, but realistically, the top flight schools have OL/DL's that average 40-50 lbs more than us.

If they chose to do so, they could likely smashmouth us into oblivion, and sack and hurry GS to death (figuratively).

In 1987, we had competitive OL/DL's, as good as anyone's. Not the case this year.
'Bama OL average size: 6'4" 310 "top flight school"
'Cuse OL average size: 6'5" 330

Our D line is undersized but as IB said, our scheme offsets this.

To hell with pumping the brakes -- damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Syracuse football is FUN again. It's okay to get excited and rebaseline expectations, based upon the marked improvement we're witnessing on offense.

Wake Forest had a fantastic season last year being able to move the chains and outscore people. We have a better defense than they did.

The momentum is palpable here. With the Anae / Beck offense, improved special teams play, and Shrader's UNBELIEVABLE improvement -- this team's floor and ceiling got raised from preseason expectations. Immensely.
To many of you posters are infatuated with the UNBELIEVABLE improvement in GS. I and a few others on here have been saying that GS has all the talent but just had injuries and a really bad play calling OC. WE are not shocked by his performance at all. Coaching can only do so much for an untalented player, GS is not that and NEVER has been.

They have to go on offense from the first possession and keep scoring. If it's close at the end of the game the B1G ref crew worries me.

the BIG refs have demonstrated they will affect the outcome of games for their overlords.

last year Schiano screaming bloody murder (including profanities) during an entire 3 min time out, then next play they throw a dumb flag and Dino says (Who cares what he said it wasn’t 3 mins of screaming you in their faces) and they tip the field with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike

greed always corrupts

They have to go on offense from the first possession and keep scoring. If it's close at the end of the game the B1G ref crew worries me.
I'm with you on this one.

I still have PTSD from the McNabb era with the game changing penalty for exposed knee cap.

To many of you posters are infatuated with the UNBELIEVABLE improvement in GS. I and a few others on here have been saying that GS has all the talent but just had injuries and a really bad play calling OC. WE are not shocked by his performance at all. Coaching can only do so much for an untalented player, GS is not that and NEVER has been.
The recievers are so much better this year, they all got experience and grew physically.

Question away. I used to watch Jimmy B in Manley, as a player.

My dad helped put the roof on Manley, and would take us to football games. In Archbold Stadium.

Just keeping my feet on the ground.
Not looking for a history lesson. Just wonder why you feel the need to curb peoples enthusiam 6 days into membership? All the guys on this board know the strengths and weakness of the team. No need to party poop.

Love the excitement for Cuse football. Im waiting to see what we do vs Purdue. Even if we get to 5-0 they will have to prove to me that they can win a quality game at home and on the road. ( not sure how good Louisville is right now). I’m always cautiously optimistic. I would be the same if we were a top 10 program. Im a 1 game at a time guy. That’s just me.
Louisville will beat FSU

I’ll tell you one thing guys, for our first year as STH this has been like a dream so far.

Imagine having season tix for Shafer….. lot of people on here had them for Grob

You dont run for 800 in 10 games if you are not talented. His talent is the reason why he got offers from schools like Alabama out of HS. He's a big athletic kid that can hurt you with his feet and is developing into a decent thrower.
Honestly he’s already a decent thrower, we’ve seen that the last two games.

Eggzactly bro

Certainly Shrader has a lot of talent -- especially running ability, leadership, ability to use his weapons. He is a warrior. He protects the ball. He makes plays when the pocket breaks down. Still, it was fair, last season, to question his passing accuracy & arm strength. His OL is better this season; his young WRs have grown up; and Shrader has had a full year to work as our #1 with better coaching. It might not be "unbelievable" improvement, but his accuracy and touch through 2 games have been better.

Certainly Shrader has a lot of talent -- especially running ability, leadership, ability to use his weapons. He is a warrior. He protects the ball. He makes plays when the pocket breaks down. Still, it was fair, last season, to question his passing accuracy & arm strength. His OL is better this season; his young WRs have grown up; and Shrader has had a full year to work as our #1 with better coaching. It might not be "unbelievable" improvement, but his accuracy and touch through 2 games have been better.
Not really, your just seeing an uninjured QB with a better offensive scheme. Even TD is doing better at Illinois because they don't have Gilbert calling pop warner plays.

Tragically misguided for numerous reasons.

First, I doubt there has been a stronger Shrader proponent than me from the time we landed him. I loved the potential his MSU film showed. I vociferously hoped / predicted here that he'd beat out DeVito after fall camp last year, and was disappointed as hell when he didn't. I was thrilled when he finally supplanted Tommy, and hung on every play when he turned our season around last year. I defended him after he got hurt, when a segment of our fanbase declared that he couldn't throw and was a liability post-VT, when he was clearly playing injured. And I've been telling anyone who would listen that we were going to a bowl this year, no matter how many prognosticators slotted us into last place.

But it is absurd to not acknowledge that his performance HAS improved for a variety of reasons -- including him benefitting from playing QB full time for a full year. But two other key factors are that Anae / Beck have a far superior offensive system to what we were saddled with in recent years under Gilbert. And Beck has done wonders tweaking little things, like Shrader's footwork, that have made his accuracy far improved.

Because it is UNBELIEVABLE how much better he was playing. I expected him to throw the rock better this year, as a function of incremental improvement. I didn't expect him to be connecting on near 80% of his passes, and near perfect in terms of execution / placement.

Your straw man comparison suggesting I implied GS is "untalented" is off-base, putting it mildly.

Not really, your just seeing an uninjured QB with a better offensive scheme. Even TD is doing better at Illinois because they don't have Gilbert calling pop warner plays.

Ah, I see -- you're grinding your axe on the anti-Gilbert agenda. Well, no argument there.

Anae and Beck have been massive, massive upgrades.

Two years ago he was playing wide receiver. He’s had a little over a year to actually build up his arm strength. He had arm and shoulder issues last season that resulted in surgery to clean out some stuff. He’s a great leader and tough SOB. He’s a flat out winner. I’m happy for him. Let’s just keep him upright and no more body slams like the winning TD against VT.

It feels more like 1987. And if we win this weekend, we'll have a strong opportunity to head into a game against a big time, national caliber opponent [Clemson] at 5-0, with a lot of eyes upon us.

Kind of like how we were 5-0 heading into that Penn State game.

I know, I know -- need to beat Purdue first -- but I can't shake those 1987 vibes.

Shrader is legit. And we have NFL talent on defense.
Woah.

1987 is a BIG comp. I get more 2012 vibes; super capable, no overly flashy. That’s been all-too rare since.

Ah, I see -- you're grinding your axe on the anti-Gilbert agenda. Well, no argument there.

Anae and Beck have been massive, massive upgrades.
I agree that Anea and Beck have a more developed system, but isn't Gilbert the guy that got Shrader to come to SU?

Not to be a party pooper, but realistically, the top flight schools have OL/DL's that average 40-50 lbs more than us.

If they chose to do so, they could likely smashmouth us into oblivion, and sack and hurry GS to death (figuratively).

In 1987, we had competitive OL/DL's, as good as anyone's. Not the case this year.
What?

Are you saying that there are schools that go 380 on average on the OL?

Because that’s what you are saying.

And DL’s that go 315?

Really, what schools would those be?

What?

Are you saying that there are schools that go 380 on average on the OL?

Because that’s what you are saying.

And DL’s that go 315?

Really, what schools would those be?

Must be getting cfb crossed with the PBA

D line you are correct. Our O line matches up size wise very well.

Purdue is as good as any team left on the schedule, it should be a good gauge of how this season will go.