Jacob DeGrom Pitching In Syracuse Next Week | Syracusefan.com

Jacob DeGrom Pitching In Syracuse Next Week

BVille44

All Conference
E50BAC8A-89A2-45CE-8689-76DF65E046F6.jpeg

Pretty exciting to see a future hall of famed play while still in his prime here in Syracuse.

Stephen Strasberg pitched a game or two for Syracuse just before he hit the big time. Believe one game was a sell out. I wonder if Jake will draw a similarly crowd? The uncertainty regarding what day he will pitch might discourage some from coming.

Pretty exciting to see a future hall of famed play while still in his prime here in Syracuse.

Stephen Strasberg pitched a game or two for Syracuse just before he hit the big time. Believe one game was a sell out. I wonder if Jake will draw a similarly crowd? The uncertainty regarding what day he will pitch might discourage some from coming.
Strasberg, and I remember John Smoltz having a rehab start in Syracuse too, but for the opponent.

If he pitches in Syracuse as expected... where does he cater the meal from?

If he pitches in Syracuse as expected... where does he cater the meal from?
He is a junk food kind of guy. Reportedly loves McDonalds. He bought Chik-Fil-A for the St Lucie team. Could do that.

Maybe will do steak to match Max. Probably would be Prime.

But I think the clubhouse favorite has to be Dinosaur BBQ.

The Strasberg games were s--t shows. Too many people for the old regime to handle. Have to say the new regime in my experience hasn't shined on crowded game nights either.

Maybe he should ask Bjorn for his cookies and pastry selections with ratings.

The Strasberg games were s--t shows. Too many people for the old regime to handle. Have to say the new regime in my experience hasn't shined on crowded game nights either.
especially with it being dollar night…. I’m planning on eating a few snacks in the parking lot beforehand and then loadin up on dogs in the 5th or 6th inning once degrom is out and the crowd clears out…. Pretty pumped to watch him pitch that up close tho…. He was over 100 on 7 pitches in his last start in single A

I'll give credit to the clown show up the hill that they at least get this right.

What time are you guys getting there.. i'm thinking no later than 530?

What time are you guys getting there.. i'm thinking no later than 530?
If you want to get food and not wait in line for more than 30 minutes, I would get there no later than 5:30 pm and load up immediately.

It is going to be a zoo to get the cheap food and drinks once you get close to the start of the game.

It always is and that is with 2 or 3K in the stands.

If you want to get food and not wait in line for more than 30 minutes, I would get there no later than 5:30 pm and load up immediately.

It is going to be a zoo to get the cheap food and drinks once you get close to the start of the game.

It always is and that is with 2 or 3K in the stands.

Yeah I have my pregnant wife with me - that just means two more hands for beers!

DeGrom's 1st three pitches:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good night.

Second best? What? Jonathan needs a fact checker.
1. Alcantara
2. Mclanahan

Ohhh….when he’s healthy I see what you’re saying

Actually it probably goes
1. Degrom
2. Rodon

Last edited:

DeGrom has a lot of work to do to become a Hall of Famer, as his late start to his career (age 26) works against him - he is far from a certainty given he is already 34. And its not necessarily the 77 career wins, as modern day analysts will rely on WAR instead and not use the wins against him. Some old curmudgeons may still be bothered by the wins.

As a base comparison vs Player "x". Player "x" only received 2.4% of the Hall of Fame vote and was off the ballot in his first year -- I actually would have had him on my fake pretend ballot.

Player "x" v Degrom

Cy Youngs - 2 vs 2
Cy Young (Top 5) - 5 vs 3
ERA Titles - 3 vs 1
WAR - 52 vs 42
Wins - 139 vs 77
Neither has accomplished too much in the postseason.

Player "x" was Johan Santana who was outstanding in the 2000's.

Degrom will probably need to be highly successful until the age of 39 to become a serious hall candidate. And some post-season dynamics always is a bonus even if it is somewhat out of his control Its not an unreasonable expectation, but far from certain as well.

What also hurts Degrom is that there are a number of starters within 5 years of his age that have much better Hall resumes . -- Verlander (WAR 75) , Scherzer (WAR 69), Kershaw (WAR 74), vs Degrom's 42. He doesn't need to be at the same level as the Big 3, but he needs to close the gap a fair amount which makes his next 5 years really important to becoming a hall of famer.

The other 38 year old who has a high career WAR is Zach Greinke (75), who has under the radar become a strong HOF candidate... only retired starting pitcher in MLB history that I see outside of the Hall with a higher WAR is Schilling at 79.

Last edited:
DeGrom has a lot of work to do to become a Hall of Famer, as his late start to his career (age 26) works against him - he is far from a certainty given he is already 34. And its not necessarily the 77 career wins, as modern day analysts will rely on WAR instead and not use the wins against him. Some old curmudgeons may still be bothered by the wins.

As a base comparison vs Player "x". Player "x" only received 2.4% of the Hall of Fame vote and was off the ballot in his first year -- I actually would have had him on my fake pretend ballot.

Player "x" v Degrom

Cy Youngs - 2 vs 2
Cy Young (Top 5) - 5 vs 3
ERA Titles - 3 vs 1
WAR - 52 vs 42
Wins - 139 vs 77
Neither has accomplished too much in the postseason.

Player "x" was Johan Santana who was outstanding in the 2000's.

Degrom will probably need to be highly successful until the age of 39 to become a serious hall candidate. And some post-season dynamics always is a bonus even if it is somewhat out of his control Its not an unreasonable expectation, but far from certain as well.

What also hurts Degrom is that there are a number of starters within 5 years of his age that have much better Hall resumes . -- Verlander (WAR 75) , Scherzer (WAR 69), Kershaw (WAR 74), vs Degrom's 42. He doesn't need to be at the same level as the Big 3, but he needs to close the gap a fair amount which makes his next 5 years really important to becoming a hall of famer.

The other 38 year old who has a high career WAR is Zach Greinke (75), who has under the radar become a strong HOF candidate... only retired starting pitcher in MLB history that I see outside of the Hall with a higher WAR is Schilling at 79.
You make a lot of good points. Jake must have a strong finish to his career to make the HOF.

Not to denigrate some of the pitchers you compared him to but I think when you look at things like ERA and strikeouts, he has been more dominant than more of them more consistently. He is certainly pitching at a different level than Santana. IMHO. Plus, he is a terrific fielder and was one of the best hitting pitchers when this was part of the game. I think Johan was also a fine fielder and like Jake, had a very good pickoff move.

He is throwing it harder and better now than at any time in his career. If he can stay healthy, I like his chances. Hopefully he gets some good advice from doctors to help him stay off the IL. He is fun to watch when he is 100%.

It’s a shame he got hurt last year and had most of 2020 wiped out by the COVID shutdown. 2 seasons of his prime. There really aren’t words strong enough to describe how well he was pitching last year.

Also, looking at his career stats - how did he not make the majors until he was 26? Was he hurt a lot in the minors? Late bloomer?

You make a lot of good points. Jake must have a strong finish to his career to make the HOF.

Not to denigrate some of the pitchers you compared him to but I think when you look at things like ERA and strikeouts, he has been more dominant than more of them more consistently. He is certainly pitching at a different level than Santana. IMHO. Plus, he is a terrific fielder and was one of the best hitting pitchers when this was part of the game. I think Johan was also a fine fielder and like Jake, had a very good pickoff move.

He is throwing it harder and better now than at any time in his career. If he can stay healthy, I like his chances. Hopefully he gets some good advice from doctors to help him stay off the IL. He is fun to watch when he is 100%.

Santana was really good at his peak with the Minnesota Twins. His 3 year peak period was basically on par with Degrom's (2018-2020). Not sure you can say he was pitching on a much different level than peak Santana. It was very close.

They each had 2 CY's + 1 3rd. Their ERA+ (ERA adjusted to era, were very close with slight edge to Degrom). Santana also led the league in ERA+ and strikeout rate in all 3 of those years -- Degrom did not.

Santana also won a gold glove during that run, but I generally feel the impact a pitcher makes with fielding is not too material -- unless you are a total butcher in the field.

The one clear outlier for Degrom is his outrageous start to 2021 which was out of the world and would have liked to see how it finished. But ultimately it was only a 90 inning season -- a really special 90 innings.

Santana would go on to have 4 solid years after 2006 (two top 5 finishes, 3 all star appearances) to basically end his career at the age of 31. And still he only got 2.4% of the vote. Degrom right now is probably on par with where Santana was after 2007 or 2008, and Santana was solid for 2 or 3 years, but never special agian.

The Santana example was meant to show that even with dominant years, you need some longevity to get in the hall. He wasn't even close. I'm fairly certain Degrom will surpass Santana's career value, but he needs some fine seasons to get from 2.4% in to 75% in.

1658076391938.png

1658076484799.png

Last edited:

I don't think that's correct for Clayton Kershaw and Max Scherzer. They had historic seven year runs that certainly surpass Degrom's recent 4 year run for consistent and sustained dominance.

3 Cy Young each in those periods, and top 5 in each of those 7 years.

Clayton Kershaw
1658077845470.png

Max Scherzer
1658077974533.png

Verlander certainly has been inconsistent in his dominance, with a few off years thrown in his good years.
But ultimately he has 1 MVP, 2 Cy Youngs, and has been in the top 5 in CY Young voting 8 times. And it will be 9 times after this year.

One other stat that is a positive for Degrom (Career ERA+)... I will also add Cy's and Top 5 Cy's beside them.
Degrom +157 (1300 innings)
Kershaw +156 (2500 innings)
Scherzer +135 (2600 innings)
Verlander +131 (3100 innings)

+157 is extremely good. I haven't seen anyone that high for a career, but that will almost certainly not be sustainable over his next 1000 innings -- if he does go another 1000. Kershaw's +156 over 2500 innings is outstanding. Scherzer started his career average for quite a while. Verlander has had some average years.

Some others for prior era greats (Pedro +154, Clemens +143, Maddux +132). Clemens and Maddux hurt themselves by pitching forever. Pedro was actually closer to +170 until he slowed at the end.

As a totally irrelevant aside, I still consider Pedro Martinez 7 year period from 1997 to 2003 as the most dominant in baseball history. I was happy to witness many of this games when it started in 1997 as an Expo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom