Jake: Are we seriously looking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jake: Are we seriously looking

If the kid isn't known for his shooting, why does anyone think he would be a 2? I would think they'd take advantage of his length and he'd be a good 3 in our zone, clearing up room at the 2 for a shooter.

There's a lot of talk that Robinson really likes us and is waiting for the offer. Any chance he would commit under the prearranged agreement of red shirting his freshman year? Also, are there any 2014 guards that were seriously involved with and really like that we may rather bring in instead of a redshirted Robinson?

I'm a little confused. What are you implying?
It's been said that one of the (intended?) side-benefits of giving scholarships to walk-ons is that it helps our APR. This might be a good time to give our APR a boost, even if you might be able to give it to a player that could contribute.

I don't know the actual numbers and how they'll look in future years but I'm betting it's a consideration.

If the kid isn't known for his shooting, why does anyone think he would be a 2? I would think they'd take advantage of his length and he'd be a good 3 in our zone, clearing up room at the 2 for a shooter.
Going to be hard to get PT at the 3 with Grant and Fair ahead of him.

True, but would this kid really start over Cooney? Based on reports of Cooney so far, that might be hard.

The day we start giving out basketball scholarships based on grades and a likliehood the kid will stay 4 years is the day SU begins to be irrelevant on a national basis.
How irrelevant would we be if we're not in the NCAA (or BE or ACC) tournament? I'm not saying that we give them out based on staying four years but maybe we don't give one out for a year unless we can get a player that has a higher likelihood of being a major contributor. Instead give it to a scholar.

Jake said we'd take him so it's a moot point because JB must think he can play. But if you have a guy who's not going to play but who could cost you APR points, it's something to think about.

Not sure if Grant would be ahead of him... and Fair could be gone (you never know).

I hope we're looking at him. I really don't think anyone should care if its an issue for TC. Its not like he should think he's going to be the only 2G on the team the next 4 years. You make it sound like the coaches will only recruit guards that ensure TC playing time. If he's good enough he'll play. If he's not he won't. If we get the kid and in 2013-14 he is better than TC then TC comes off the bench. Pretty sure he doesn't think he has a guaranty of starting or any PT unless he works for it and is the best player. (its not like he went to JD or anything! :D) You never know if a kid'll be another Mookie until he gets here.
I only ask about that b/c they would be in the same class. One of them doesnt start (assuming they both play 2G) in their career and a spot never opens up (like MCW & Scoop)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

True, but would this kid really start over Cooney? Based on reports of Cooney so far, that might be hard.
Think if he comes here he'll have to realize for right now he'll becoming off the bench and fighting for minutes.

To summarize:

G is a solid player
We have a scholly
He likes us
We like him, even recruited him before
If he's cleared to transfer to SU, and JB wants him, we'll take him
Red shirt or not, has to sit next season anyway per transfer rules
Therefore he will not play over Cooney
He will provide quality depth behind Cooney in the future
He should not impact future recruiting much at all.
Anyone who thinks getting this kid is a bad thing is a douche

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, he went to Duke, so I doubt he hurts our APR negatively.

Think if he comes here he'll have to realize for right now he'll becoming off the bench and fighting for minutes.

Coaches can tell him that this year we played 3 guards with over 20 min/game each. Dion came off the bench and is going to get drafted. in 2013 we have Cooney and MCW. Possibly Ennis. So he could easily get 20 min. plus per game off the bench.

We ABSOLUTELY take this kid if he wants to come here. He was ranked 28th overall by scout when he came out. In limited playing time he shot 40% from 3 and at 6'6 he can play 2 or 3. I love Cooney, but he can't play 40 min. We need two G's in 2013. Hopefully Ennis is one, but he's not a commit yet. And a 6'6 guy that can shoot, play up top in the zone, and is versitile enough to play the 3 too, has shown to be a good student at a good school, and knows the ACC which can't hurt is a PERFECT get for us.

I brought up the Trevor Cooney question with Francis yesterday but in his response he did not answer that specific issue. On paper it looks like Cooney might not be thrilled, in that he was possibly recruited over. In my question to Francis, I was thinking they see him as a 2/3 possibility, not a pure 2. Francis seemed to feel that he is a 2guard and would not see time as at the 3 position.
That was only my personally opinion about him for the SU system. Sure he could play out on the wing for a few minutes but I think his upside on defense would be better up top. As I said in another post, Mike G is 6'6 with a 6'6 wingspan, and is under 200lbs. He's a good athlete but he doesn't have the ideal height, length, and weight to be an effective rebounder inside of the zone. He would wreck havoc up top with MCW imho, but I'm sure JB and the gang will give him some run out on the wing.

I'd love it if Syracuse could (somehow) begin a trend of recruiting & redshirting talented, but possibly inexperienced or in need of physical improvements, players each year. Getting a guy like Cooney just starting his elegibility this next season, while already having been through a year of lifting & practices, is so huge. If we could do it again with a kid like Robinson, it would be a great advantage.

The hard part is convincing young players these days that taking a redshirt is a good idea.

Agreed 100%. I hope its a pattern because it would mean not only are we very good every season but we are also recruiting very well.

I have a dream that SU is the program, not of the 1 and done's but a program where really really really really good players go and wait their turn to shine the brightest.

Picture this: We get Gbijine this year on a transfer. He sits out one year. We lose BT after next season. 2012- 2013 will be a short year for guards with 3 man rotation. If we get Ennis than you have MCW/Ennis at the 1 and Gbijine and TC at the 2. Good rotation. Great shooters at the 2 no matter who is out or in. Gbijine has 3 more years from the time he sets foot on the floor. TC has 4 years. Our 2 spot is good for quite a while. MCW leaves and Briscoe comes in backing up Ennis. Our problem will be with our bigs. Hope for Anya.

I think its a no brainer. The kid will have 3 yeas left after sitting out next season and have a year under two hall of fame college coaches

I think its a no brainer. The kid will have 3 yeas left after sitting out next season and have a year under two hall of fame college coaches
Hadn't considered that. He would hold the record for all-time wins played under coaches. Does that make sense?

Hadn't considered that. He would hold the record for all-time wins played under coaches. Does that make sense?

I think its worded wring but I know what your trying to say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom