Jalen Carey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey

Any insight how our big recruit who proved he can score in the Oregon and UConn games only warrants 10 minutes of PT in a big game with an offensively challenged team? Is this the new MCW 2.0 scenario to make sure he doesn't get exposure and leave next year?
Never heard of the 1.0 scenario so I don’t think it’s a 2.0. I like him, he’s going to be very good, but I have seen no promise that he’s ready to leave ala MCW.

He was either fouled or it was tipped.
You are probably right but even if true, it was NOT a high percentage shot. If I was defending him I would give him that shot all night long until he showed me he could hit is fairly consistently.

Any insight how our big recruit who proved he can score in the Oregon and UConn games only warrants 10 minutes of PT in a big game with an offensively challenged team? Is this the new MCW 2.0 scenario to make sure he doesn't get exposure and leave next year?
He’s a two-and-done, right?
(Teenage eye roll)

Ive been really impressed with Carey. He’s had a couple bad turnovers, but also a couple great drives and finishes. Thought he got fouled on that corner three.

Carey also had a huge offensive board in the ..first half? I believe.

Ive been really impressed with Carey. He’s had a couple bad turnovers, but also a couple great drives and finishes. Thought he got fouled on that corner three.

Carey also had a huge offensive board in the ..first half? I believe.

He's got a real knack for boards and the athletic ability to go get them. He's going to be fun to watch.

he looks tentative to me, caught between distributing and imposing his will, the freshman yips. Not Kaleb Joseph bad, but not Jonny Flynn good either. Once he starts playing within the role JB has defined for him, I think he will thrive and is headed for a great year. He is just learning when to open the throttle and when to be judicious before our eyes.

he looks tentative to me, caught between distributing and imposing his will, the freshman yips. Not Kaleb Joseph bad, but not Jonny Flynn good either. Once he starts playing within the role JB has defined for him, I think he will thrive and is headed for a great year. He is just learning when to open the throttle and when to be judicious before our eyes.

Yes. Regardless of whether or not he was fouled, you could see the wheels turning on that airballed corner three. Not catch and shoot, but catch, pause, 'should I shoot? no, I shouldn't shoot. but I'm open. OK, I'll shoot,' and shoot.

Reps will help. And, uh, maybe some positive reinforcement from the bench, too.

Yes. Regardless of whether or not he was fouled, you could see the wheels turning on that airballed corner three. Not catch and shoot, but catch, pause, 'should I shoot? no, I shouldn't shoot. but I'm open. OK, I'll shoot,' and shoot.

Reps will help. And, uh, maybe some positive reinforcement from the bench, too.

There is hesitation and bad spacing all over the court. Probably hard for him to figure out what to do. Frankly, many players don’t seem to know what to do as evidence with the SC winding down constantly and the offense looking like a chinese fire drill. Hopefully everything gets better so he can actually be graded this year and not be an ‘Incomplete’ which would be very unfortunate.

Last edited:
He just doesn't get the Boeheim offensive system. You wait around for 25 seconds and jack up a 1 on 1 off balance fade away three. Carey is terrible at 1 on 1 off balance fade away threes and therefore he doesn't get a lot of minutes.
Does anyone get Boeheims offensive system currently? Players and viewers ... anyone? I

Does anyone get Boeheims offensive system currently? Players and viewers ... anyone? I

Hughes, Battle, and Oshae pretty much get it. They do dumb stuff like trying to drive to the hoop/pass in the first half but they soon figure it out and start firing up threes in the second. Howard is getting there too, slowly eliminating the idiotic passing from his game as the game goes on. By the last 5 mins he figures it out too and he joins the others in firing up threes. You could argue that Sidibe and Chukwu get it better than anyone as they make themselves neither seen nor heard to guarantee nobody looks to pass inside. We will convert Carey soon don't you worry!

yeah getting yanked out the game the second you miss a wide open 3 will give you the "yips"...god forbid he takes a wide open shot vs gtown.

he didn't have them in his first game vs uconn - and he put up 26 - but now he's in his own head as a result of coaching instructions - he's been told to create, distribute and let the other "scorers" be the shooters...worst game of the season was his latest. hopefully it is not a trend.

Here's my take with Carey. He was known in high school as a scorer and a real good one at that. We saw a glimpse of what he can do at the garden when he was forced to play big minutes. Now with frank back JB has his guy to go with when things are going good. Carey is on a leash and playing like he is scared to make a single mistake because every time he does hes yanked from the court and in comes frank. I wish JB would let him play through some of the mistakes and cut him loose a bit because the kid can get to the basket and was even pretty solid from deep throughout his career. Just my opinion but I think hes in his own head ol playing timid for fear of getting put on the bench. JB should be telling him to get in there and let it rip like Waiters did for us off the bench. I get it though to a certain extent because Carey is coming in to run the point and battle is our 2 guard but when u have a offensive threat like Carey on the court we gotta use him and his abilities and I dont think we have seen what hes capable of yet! Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't there a JB quote preseason about Carey being one of the best offensive minded guards hes had in a very long time? I want to see that version of Carey!

yeah getting yanked out the game the second you miss a wide open 3 will give you the "yips"...god forbid he takes a wide open shot vs gtown.

he didn't have them in his first game vs uconn - and he put up 26 - but now he's in his own head as a result of coaching instructions - he's been told to create, distribute and let the other "scorers" be the shooters...worst game of the season was his latest. hopefully it is not a trend.

Yeah, frankly I say let him play, let him shoot, and let him go.

Couldn’t care less if he misses open 3’s. He’s a top 50 recruit guard. He’s gotta be able to take shots. Team sucks anyway. Develop the kid with some jets.

i'll echo an observation i read on this board. jalen carey plays with his head up all times.
vision and speed and handle are prerequisites for a good pg. i think he can get there.

Jalen’s a very good basketball player.

Boeheim’s leash for freshmen is very short.

I wish his leash was less short.

well for some freshman...coughtrichecoughandmanyothers.
Do you think Brandon Triche got undeserved playing time as a freshman, or do you think he wasn't very good as a freshman, or both?

Lol Triche got to many minutes? He shot 40% from 3 as a freshman. He also carried us a couple games like at top 10 West Virginia.

40% from 3 and solid D. Scoop actually played a little more than Triche. 21 mpg on a team with a 7 man rotation.

JB had it nailed to a T in how he utilized his players and PT in that season, overall.

40% from 3 and solid D. Scoop actually played a little more than Triche. 21 mpg on a team with a 7 man rotation.

JB had it nailed to a T in how he utilized his players and PT in that season, overall.

I know this team stinks, but posters are starting to use it to create narratives about past seasons and they look stupid.