James Johnson out at Va Tech | Syracusefan.com

James Johnson out at Va Tech

Adrian Autry, come on down...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Wake's and BC's coaches get the ax as well. If I'm Wake, I go out and get Wichita State's coach. No doubt he would love to coach in the ACC, coached for 9 years at Winthrop here in the Carolinas and would love to get back to this part of the country.

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops 1m
So I guess that whole lets-fire-Seth-Greenberg thing didn't work out so well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Wake's and BC's coaches get the ax as well. If I'm Wake, I go out and get Wichita State's coach. No doubt he would love to coach in the ACC, coached for 9 years at Winthrop here in the Carolinas and would love to get back to this part of the country.
would he take it? if a guy like alford could get the ucla gig, i've gotta think marshall could do much better than wake (e.g., texas after next year, kansas after self goes to nba, kentucky after cal goes to nba, etc.)

If I recall correctly, the reason that Greenberg was fired, in addition to his inability to get to the NCAA tournament for his last five seasons at VT, was that his assistants were fleeing. Adrian Autry left for Dayton until he filled Rob Murphy's spot at SU and Jackson who was fired today left to be an assistant at Clemson.

would he take it? if a guy like alford could get the ucla gig, i've gotta think marshall could do much better than wake (e.g., texas after next year, kansas after self goes to nba, kentucky after cal goes to nba, etc.)

Like a lot of things in life, timing is everything. WF loves their hoops, and has a solid history. If nothing more panache opens this year, and Wake does, I think he'd leave in a heartbeat to get to a BCS (especially the ACC)type conference and back to the Carolinas.

Marshall's a Virginia native. I'm sure Wake and VT have the same plan here. Will be interesting to see if either can land him.

Considering the strength of the respective conferences and fan support, Wichita State is a much better job than VT, and might be a better jobe than Wake.

Marshall's a Virginia native. I'm sure Wake and VT have the same plan here. Will be interesting to see if either can land him.

Wake's a much, much better gig. And, Winston Salem is close to VA, and certainly a much better place to live than Blacksburg's VA.

Considering the strength of the respective conferences and fan support, Wichita State is a much better job than VT, and might be a better jobe than Wake.

Probably better than VT, but not Wake. And no comparison when talking about the vast discrepancies between a high BCS conference and a one bid type conference...

Like a lot of things in life, timing is everything. WF loves their hoops, and has a solid history. If nothing more panache opens this year, and Wake does, I think he'd leave in a heartbeat to get to a BCS (especially the ACC)type conference and back to the Carolinas.
well, i generally agree...but he's also in a spot where he there's very little downside to holding out a year. and it's safe to predict that major jobs will be open after next year (if not this year). WF might be a geographical fit, but it'd still be a jumping off point for a top-10 job...and there is a major risk of being exposed against acc level competition. if i'm advising him, i'd say to sit tight unless he hates wichita.

well, i generally agree...but he's also in a spot where he there's very little downside to holding out a year. and it's safe to predict that major jobs will be open after next year (if not this year). WF might be a geographical fit, but it'd still be a jumping off point for a top-10 job...and there is a major risk of being exposed against acc level competition. if i'm advising him, i'd say to sit tight unless he hates wichita.

Maybe, but who's to say his name is anywhere as hot as it is right now. His stock certainly isn't going to get any higher by staying, and likely may take a dip if his team next year is so-so. I've no idea who comes back for them next year, what type of guys are coming in, etc. But, WS is not a perennial power, and it's unlikely that they can maintain the type of success they have had the past 2 years...

I doubt it, Marshall is thinking much bigger gigs right now.

Probably better than VT, but not Wake. And no comparison when talking about the vast discrepancies between a high BCS conference and a one bid type conference...

Honestly, I would much rather rule the Valley than compete against Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Louisville and Pitt every year. And don't forget NC State and UVA that are higher on the pecking order as well. Including this year, Wake has made the Sweet 16 once in the last 18 years. And basically all of their success in the last 25 years came with either Tim Duncan or Chris Paul on the team. Basically, without first ballot Hall of Famers on the roster, Wake is an average at best BCS school.

Both need to be realistic about who they can get.

Tech needs to look at Chris Mooney at Richmond. His stock was higher after their Sweet 16 run a few years ago, but still a great x's & o's guy who knows Virginia.

Wake should target Mike White at Louisiana Tech. Young, rising star, who has ties to the state...his Dad is AD at Duke.

Neither or getting Marshall or Smart.

Both need to be realistic about who they can get.

Tech needs to look at Chris Mooney at Richmond. His stock was higher after their Sweet 16 run a few years ago, but still a great x's & o's guy who knows Virginia.

Wake should target Mike White at Louisiana Tech. Young, rising star, who has ties to the state...his Dad is AD at Duke.

Neither or getting Marshall or Smart.

I agree with you 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom