James Vollono (ST coordinator) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

James Vollono (ST coordinator)

1725747976880.gif

WTH was #7 doing on the onside kick? He was standing there watching the ball roll. Did he think he had to wait 10 yards? The first thing you learn on onside kick receiving is get the ball as soon as it is kicked. Embarrassing for #7 and the special teams coach.

Agreed.blocked kick. Blocked punt. And an embarrassing onside kick coverage.

Separately, good lord did Villari have a bad game not counting blocking.
I remember Villari having troubles with drops as a receiver last year before we went to the single wing option. He also had troubles with fumbles on his rushes. You'd think he would have better hands as an ex-QB.

WTH was #7 doing on the onside kick? He was standing there watching the ball roll. Did he think he had to wait 10 yards? The first thing you learn on onside kick receiving is get the ball as soon as it is kicked. Embarrassing for #7 and the special teams coach.
The ball wasn’t going to go ten yards. Don’t even get close to it. The rookie didn’t know the rule?

As far as Pena as return man… at this point I think he’s too valuable on O. After watching him get smacked on the punt return early I thought do we really need this guy back there on PR’s?
I dont think the risk is worth the reward, he definitely shoulda fair caught that one. Just put a reliable guy back there thats not 1 of your most important receivers.

E Rob got shredded after how our D performed against Ohio, so it’s only right that Vollono does too.

That was the worst ST performance by a Cuse team that I can remember. I mean AWFUL.

By my count:
• blocked FG
• blocked punt
• kickoff OOB
• onsides kick recovered by GT
I'd get his keys tonight after telling him what I thought he did wrong.

There is no time for this Sh$t at this SU program now. We are going to be a special team.

Basically everyone stepped up this week except for ST. It's on the coach not Denaburg. You have to anticipate things on Special Teams, you have to have someone who can hike the ball like a rocket to the holder, who has to have a perfect plant because you know their D is trying to stop any points from getting up on our side. The ST coach has to go over and over and over the kickers foot placement the snappers speed and the holders position to where it's automatic and you're hitting every kick with a watch timing you.

Denaburg is a good kicker averaged 62 Yds into the end zone which is very good - no short kicks someone can run back.

I have to give kudos to Stonehouse today. His hang time on his one punt, not much room, but he hit the ceiling with it not allowing any run back - inside the 20. He's got a leg.

The point here is you have to have a great ST coach standing there every day with a watch, stay after practice and kick the ball and make sure the kickers get into an ice bath to recover after a session.

We'll recover let's see what happens with HCFB's reaction to today's bad play.

Total time from snap to kick should not exceed 1.3 seconds

Last edited:
E Rob got shredded after how our D performed against Ohio, so it’s only right that Vollono does too.

That was the worst ST performance by a Cuse team that I can remember. I mean AWFUL.

By my count:
• blocked FG
• blocked punt
• kickoff OOB
And that doesn't include, by not having an up back on punt returns, GT punter kicked short and the ball bounced about 20 yards down to the 8 yard line.

I think the way the rule is now waiting 10 yards is exactly the right thing to do.

Villari could be most overrated player on this board since the Joe Donnelly days. Donnelly was a cross between Kellen Winslow and Mike Ditka if you were on the board back then
I think this board has a problem with overrating the feel good story, Villari couldn’t cut it at UM as a QB ofc, comes here moves to TE and had the whole wildcat thing last year out of complete necessity, he’s a willing blocker and I think that’s the best thing you could say about him. People on this board were talking like he was a game changing player this off season, and that was just never the case. He’s a willing blocker who will put his body on the line for a win any given saturday, average at very best ball player however.

I'd get his keys tonight after telling him what I thought he did wrong.

There is no time for this Sh$t at this SU program now. We are going to be a special team.

Basically everyone stepped up this week except for ST. It's on the coach not Denaburg. You have to anticipate things on Special Teams, you have to have someone who can hike the ball like a rocket to the holder, who has to have a perfect plant because you know their D is trying to stop any points from getting up on our side. The ST coach has to go over and over and over the kickers foot placement the snappers speed and the holders position to where it's automatic and you're hitting every kick with a watch timing you.

Denaburg is a good kicker averaged 62 Yds into the end zone which is very good - no short kicks someone can run back.

I have to give kudos to Stonehouse today. His hang time on his one punt, not much room, but he hit the ceiling with it not allowing any run back - inside the 20. He's got a leg.

The point here is you have to have a great ST coach standing there every day with a watch, stay after practice and kick the ball and make sure the kickers get into an ice bath to recover after a session.

We'll recover let's see what happens with HCFB's reaction to today's bad play.
Fran took personal accountability for the onside kick debacle, so I’m not sure if that one is squarely on Vollono’s shoulders or not.

The blocked kicks and lack of blocking on returns - definitely on him. We need to do better than that.

I think this board has a problem with overrating the feel good story, Villari couldn’t cut it at UM as a QB ofc, comes here moves to TE and had the whole wildcat thing last year out of complete necessity, he’s a willing blocker and I think that’s the best thing you could say about him. People on this board were talking like he was a game changing player this off season, and that was just never the case. He’s a willing blocker who will put his body on the line for a win any given saturday, average at very best ball player however.
He has elite athleticism but hasn’t been able to put it all together at a skill position. There’s more to skill positions than just athleticism. Receiving consistently has been a problem, fumbling has been a problem. If he can clean that up and put it together, he could be an elite player. But it just hasn’t come together for him yet.

He absolutely leaves it all out there, and you never get the impression even when he comes up short it isn’t do to lack of trying. That’s why Hatcher has gotten as much criticism as he has comparably. He has all the tools but partially due to his own lack of focus, he hasn’t been able to be a really consistent option, let alone an elite option.

As far as Pena as return man… at this point I think he’s too valuable on O. After watching him get smacked on the punt return early I thought do we really need this guy back there on PR’s?
Especially given the non-existent return blocking. He’s going to get hurt out there.

I question why VillarI ( hurt with not great hands), Diggs ( not a hands guy), and Barnes (2 nd game ever) are on the hands team. That’s a spot where you want hands and experience. Anyone see who else was out there? I’d expect OG, Peña, Meeks, Haynes, etc plus some blockers To be out there.

By my count:
• blocked FG
• blocked punt
• kickoff OOB
Punt return block is non existent. We were fortunate GT elected to put one deep into the end zone rather than set up a potential return attempt. We’ve not proven we can keep anyone off Pena to have a chance at a return.

I question why VillarI ( hurt with not great hands), Diggs ( not a hands guy), and Barnes (2 nd game ever) are on the hands team. That’s a spot where you want hands and experience. Anyone see who else was out there? I’d expect OG, Peña, Meeks, Haynes, etc plus some blockers To be out there.
Pena who has the best hands on the team was back at about the 20 yard line. Put James back there and Pena up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom