Jar Head Jim's daughter | Syracusefan.com

Jar Head Jim's daughter

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
For long time board members you might recall that Brooke, Jim's daughter, went through some early health difficulties. The board rallied around Jim & Brooke with prayers & good wishes. I'm happy to report that Brooke is doing wonderfully. In fact, she recently won a state-wide violin competition in Alabama. Wonderful news Jim, I'm sure you're a proud Pa Pa!! Congratulations Brooke!!

Outstanding news--glad to hear that, JHJ! I can't think of anything worse than having your child encounter serious health issues.

It will be eight years on Memorial Day that she was airlifted to Children's Hospital in Birmingham Alabama. How time flies! She is now 11 years old.

Great news! Jim, you must be proud, relieved and thankful.

I've been there with my daughter. Some good folks on this board.

Super news Jim. Glad to hear everything is ok.

It will be eight years on Memorial Day that she was airlifted to Children's Hospital in Birmingham Alabama. How time flies! She is now 11 years old.
Wow - can't believe it has been 8 years. I remember that day well. The prayers and well wishes reverberated across sports, and other, forums far and wide. It was a horrible day for Jim and his family, of course, but it was a heartwarming day in terms of people showing simple humanity.

And it seems to have turned out well. Congrats Jim and Brooke!
We should set an amnesty day for us to be allowed to brag about our children.

For long time board members you might recall that Brooke, Jim's daughter, went through some early health difficulties. The board rallied around Jim & Brooke with prayers & good wishes. I'm happy to report that Brooke is doing wonderfully. In fact, she recently won a state-wide violin competition in Alabama. Wonderful news Jim, I'm sure you're a proud Pa Pa!! Congratulations Brooke!!
Great news. I can see a day coming when Jarhead goes to MSG to see SU play Duke in the ACC semis, then walks over to Carnegie Hall to see Brooke play.

82a2fc259cc21c8c5f90ec70fed.jpg

So wonderful to hear good news here. Remember that time of her illness very well. Happy for Jim & his family.

That's a feel good story. Happy for you and the family Jim.

Yes when Orangeyes asked me this morning about my was Daughter in an E-mail about the Orange Softball team, he asked me how she was doing. It's hard to believe it's been actually 9 years ago not 8. I was on a training mission at Fort Lenardwood Kansas and I got woken up at 4am by the Duty telling me to call my wife on her cell phone. When I got a hold of her she was frantic and told me our 2 year old Daughter Brooke was in a comma and on life support. She was being Air lifted from Albany Ga to the Children's Hospital in Birmingham Alabama. I was stuck in the middle of now where trying to get to Birmingham as fast as I could. I finally able to rent a car and drive to St Louis. At the St Louis Airport I stopped at the USO and posted on this forum (or what ever version we were using in 2003). I asked to board for prayers and support of my Daughter. I believe their were like 500 messages of support for us. It was an amassing show of support for my family. Brooke was diagnosed with type one Diabetes. Their is no cure for type one Diabetes but it is treatable. Brooke no longer has to get 5 shots of insulin a day due to her insulin pump we purchased about two years ago. She is a great Daughter who lives with my ex in Prattville AL (home of GMac stalker Deano...LOL sorry Deano)

It's still is amassing to me how many people remember that day on this form and still ask me about it regularly.

Yes when Orangeyes asked me this morning about my was Daughter in an E-mail about the Orange Softball team, he asked me how she was doing. It's hard to believe it's been actually 9 years ago not 8. I was on a training mission at Fort Lenardwood Kansas and I got woken up at 4am by the Duty telling me to call my wife on her cell phone. When I got a hold of her she was frantic and told me our 2 year old Daughter Brooke was in a comma and on life support. She was being Air lifted from Albany Ga to the Children's Hospital in Birmingham Alabama. I was stuck in the middle of now where trying to get to Birmingham as fast as I could. I finally able to rent a car and drive to St Louis. At the St Louis Airport I stopped at the USO and posted on this forum (or what ever version we were using in 2003). I asked to board for prayers and support of my Daughter. I believe their were like 500 messages of support for us. It was an amassing show of support for my family. Brooke was diagnosed with type one Diabetes. Their is no cure for type one Diabetes but it is treatable. Brooke no longer has to get 5 shots of insulin a day due to her insulin pump we purchased about two years ago. She is a great Daughter who lives with my ex in Prattville AL (home of GMac stalker Deano...LOL sorry Deano)

It's still is amassing to me how many people remember that day on this form and still ask me about it regularly.
I remember that day. I remember praying for your daughter with my wife. I remember someone from UConn asking for prayers on their board too. Glad to hear that everything is going well. God Bless your daughter and God Bless you and the USMC.

My mom has type 1. She was diagnosed ~9 and is turning 50 this year. We have had a scare or 2, but nothing my mom couldn't handle.

In a way, the best thing that happened to Brooke is that she got it so young. She will know nothing other than how to properly care for herself.

Here is to a long healthy life!

Been away from board a long time. Wonderful news!

JarheadJim, that was before I was on here, but it is still a story that warmed my heart. Regardless of anyone's beliefs, I believe there is a great deal of power when people show others loving support in times of need, and I wish our society acted that way more often. Congrats to your daughter, reading this made my day better!

I believe I can say with the utmost confidence that Brooke inherited her musical talent from the ex-wife's side of the family...

Congrats, Jarhead...Great Stuff.

That's great news. Congrats!!!

I believe I can say with the utmost confidence that Brooke inherited her musical talent from the ex-wife's side of the family...

Congrats, Jarhead...Great Stuff.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!:rolling:

I have a former student at the college I work at who was diagnosed as an infant and was the youngest person in this area to receive an insulin pump. She went on to become an all conference guard in high school and played two years at the college level as a quick 2 guard. She's a sweet and beautiful young lady to boot. So it seems young Ms. JarheadJim not only comes from good stock, but stands in good stead with a long line of successful survivors.

Continued prayers and wishes for the best for all of you.

Great thread! I remember that, too. This board is funny. It's mainly many people you've never met, except for a handful for me in the 2003 run, but I feel I know many real well.

Jim, thanks for all you do!