Jason Hart is the only Orange option I hope is considered | Syracusefan.com

Jason Hart is the only Orange option I hope is considered

OrangeDW

Living Legend
I love Autry and GMac, but you can’t promote from within when you’re not even good. You also can’t bring in a guy whose team has been in last place every year.

Hart is Orange, but has only coached elsewhere and thus is not connected to our current mediocrity and at least has head coaching experience - though not in college. He’s the only guy who should be considered in what needs to be a national search for the absolute best option.

I love Autry and GMac, but you can’t promote from within when you’re not even good. You also can’t bring in a guy whose team has been in last place every year.

Hart is Orange, but has only coached elsewhere and thus is not connected to our current mediocrity and at least has head coaching experience - though not in college. He’s the only guy who should be considered in what needs to be a national search for the absolute best option.
Wes Miller checks a bunch of boxes for me. I’m not even sold on Hart just yet, would prefer someone with college head coaching experience.

Wes Miller checks a bunch of boxes for me. I’m not even sold on Hart just yet, would prefer someone with college head coaching experience.
Yeah, if he does well at Cincy(and he’s off to a solid start), I would be very interested. Young guy but very experienced, built up a consistent winner at UNC-G. Lots to like there. Would he recruit well in the northeast would be my question?

Yeah, if he does well at Cincy(and he’s off to a solid start), I would be very interested. Young guy but very experienced, built up a consistent winner at UNC-G. Lots to like there. Would he recruit well in the northeast would be my question?
I think our name and everything everyone mentions as pluses that we have recruits the north east alone for us, him going into some areas we don’t go could be huge.

Realistically the only guy that has experience recruiting here with head coaching experience with success from the area may be Oats.

If we can’t get Oats the next best thing would be his assistant Bryan Hodgson. He is Oats lead recruiter and has been since Buffalo. He recruited Canada for Alabama and got a couple of their top prospects. He also has a Junior College coaching background and recruits them as well.

He was born in New York and Syracuse was his favorite team growing up.

Several names out there that would make sense and this guy deserves a look.

In my personal opinion I want someone with experience. John Becker has always been a guy I thought would do great at Syracuse. Coaches a great defense and wins games.

If we can’t get Oats the next best thing would be his assistant Bryan Hodgson. He is Oats lead recruiter and has been since Buffalo. He recruited Canada for Alabama and got a couple of their top prospects. He also has a Junior College coaching background and recruits them as well.

In my personal opinion I want someone with experience. John Becker has always been a guy I thought would do great at Syracuse. Coaches a great defense and wins games.
Becker is a fine coach but his age is a turn off. We will be in the same place in 5 years looking for a replacement.

I like Grasso from Bryant but that’s a huge step up so it won’t happen

Prying Jason Hart out of California would be almost as difficult as stopping me from using this gif as often as possible:

thats a shame.gif

Becker is a fine coach but his age is a turn off. We will be in the same place in 5 years looking for a replacement.

I like Grasso from Bryant but that’s a huge step up so it won’t happen
John Becker is only 53 lol. He could coach another 10-15 years easily.

Yeah I don’t see the love for Grasso. He has done decent for Bryant but still pretty terrible. Houston beat them 111-44.

My ex grew up with Hodgson. Without getting into details, if properly vetted, I have a hard time seeing him landing a high major HC job.

If Mark Schmidt was 10 years younger, I think he’d check a lot of boxes.

My ex grew up with Hodgson. Without getting into details, if properly vetted, I have a hard time seeing him landing a high major HC job.

If Mark Schmidt was 10 years younger, I think he’d check a lot of boxes.
That sucks. Seems like all the good recruiters have an unscrupulous past.

If we go A10 you should check out Mike Rhoades at VCU. Has been pretty successful. His defense is awesome. They beat us already and shut our offense down. They have the number one 3pt% defense in the nation.
Mark Schmidt just doesn’t impress me. Only been to the tourney like 3 times in 14 seasons at St Bonny.

Oats grew up a Syracuse fan as well correct?

That sucks. Seems like all the good recruiters have an unscrupulous past.

If we go A10 you should check out Mike Rhoades at VCU. Has been pretty successful. His defense is awesome. They beat us already and shut our offense down. They have the number one 3pt% defense in the nation.
Mark Schmidt just doesn’t impress me. Only been to the tourney like 3 times in 14 seasons at St Bonny.
Thing with Schmidt is, Bona is in the middle of nowhere - it's 10x harder to recruit there than at a place like SU.

I personally thought that Jim Baron would be as good a coach as Bona was going to get, but Schmidt has been better, IMO.

That said, he's nearly 60 years old.

Getting back to OP, Hart would be great but he's tagged for a future in NBA coaching.

There is no perfect candidate. There are always risks, especially if JB's retirement is a sudden untimely announcement to force an internal hire.

I am kind of warming up to the idea of Rick Pitino as a two year transition hire despite his checkered past.

He can coach no doubt.

Can he recruit without cheating is the question but recruiting has changed drastically with NIL.

He can be thought of as "one of us" with him having worked for JB. He is JB's friend. This may be one outside hire that gets JB's blessing.

He may be able to make some degree of continuity by keeping some staff without a wholesale replacement.

He is getting up in age too so he is not looking for a long tenure but this is way better than Iona. He probably can turn things around in two years.

He can operate under JB's big Shadow and not be obligated to "protect the JB legacy" was what Hop said he would have done had he stay at SU.

He may be interested with a substantial discount from what he earned in Louisville.

Last edited:
If we are going outside the tree, I’d like to see Chris Mack. I don’t think he would come here. I think Mike Boynton will get a look too. Oats ain’t coming here.

There is no perfect candidate. There are always risks, especially if JB's retirement is a sudden untimely announcement to force an internal hire.

I am kind of warming up to the idea of Rick Pitino as a two year transition hire despite his checkered past.

He can coach no doubt.

Can he recruit without cheating is the question but recruiting has changed.

He can be thought of as "one of us" with him having worked for JB. He is JB's friend. This may be one outside hire that gets JB's blessing.

He may be able to make some degree of continuity by keeping some staff without a wholesale replacement.

He is getting up in age too so he is not looking for a long tenure but this is way better than Iona. He probably can turn things around in two years.

He can operate under JB's big Shadow and not be obligated to "protect the JB legacy" was what Hop said he would have done had he stay at SU.

He may be interested with a substantial discount from what he earned in Louisville.
I would not hesitate to hire Pitino. But how does everyone else see it. How does Wildhack view him? How does the President view him?

But maybe with Boeheims blessing they would do it. Not sure.

It’s a win win situation. We get a great coach to get us from JB to the next guy and Pitino gets to ride off into the sunset finishing his career where it started.

So people want Hart because he is a former Syracuse guy or because he is a good coach and recruiter? To me being a Syracuse guy is "cherry on top of sunday" kinda thing. So if two final candidates are equal in experience, recruiting and winning and one of them is a Cuse guy then sure advantage Cuse guy at that point but otherwise...

What if an SU offer worth millions comes first?
It would be a big detour away from his current track.

Hard to pass up millions, but I don't know that money is a huge motivator for him. But maybe?

He can coach no doubt.

Can he recruit without cheating is the question but recruiting has changed drastically with NIL.

On the surface, the Pitino plan sounds nuts but I think it's an interesting idea.

I would not hesitate to hire Pitino. But how does everyone else see it. How does Wildhack view him? How does the President view him?

But maybe with Boeheims blessing they would do it. Not sure.

It’s a win win situation. We get a great coach to get us from JB to the next guy and Pitino gets to ride off into the sunset finishing his career where it started.
I'm all for winning, and don't mind if we cut some corners to get there since other teams do a lot worse. However, I draw the line with slick Rick. No way, no thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom