Jason Whitlock may annoy people. but his idea to save college basketball is really interesting. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jason Whitlock may annoy people. but his idea to save college basketball is really interesting.

Or just make the draft requirements like baseball. You can go pro out of high school but if you go to college you have to stay 3 years. This would easily raise the level of play in college and the surefire 1st rounders don't have to fake like they are going to college.

By far, imo, the best way to go. Mentioned same in the past in one of these related and debated threads that continually come up.

I clearly get both sides of the debate, but I definitely lean on the not paying side. These young adults use the schools as a stepping stone, just as the schools use them for their benefit. They're marketed and exposed to the hilt, especially at big time programs, at relatively no financial investment/risk to them. If they play their cards right by taking full advantage of the school's overhead (facilites, free personal training, nutrition expertise, etc.) and personal exposure afforded, it places them in an advantageous position to reap their future rewards. This exposure creates a vehicle they most likely, otherwise, wouldn't of had.

The real solution is for the NBA to establish a true minor league system and have players that aspire to play professionally, but don't really care to get a degree, go straight to the minors. Athletes that want a degree go to college. Athletes that go to college can enter the draft, but should be allowed to return to college if they don't sign a professional contract.

There now much of the problem is fixed. The landscape would change significantly, but it would be fixed.

The problems arise from (i) NCAA allowing itself to be used as the NBA's minor league system, (ii) people assuming that the NCAA should put forth the best quality basketball that it possibly can without regard to the true purpose of which should be for participating athletes to get an education.

Should be about as easy to get this done as to pass significant gun control legislation, new abortion laws or balance the federal budget.

Do you realize that if you start to pay college athletes you will have to pay ALL college athletes the same regardless of sport or gender? If the day comes they ever start to have direct cash "stipends", that will be the day that virtually all non football and basketball sports will be eliminated. You will end up with only men's and women's basketball, men's football, and a handful of women's sports (because of the Title IX requirement) and that's it. These payments will not stop men's basketball players from entering the NBA draft after their freshmen and soph years because the discrepancy in dollars is just too substantial. You couldn't pay them enough to stop it. It's up to the NBA to modify their rules and business model if they want to preserve and improve the college game...and ultimately their no cost "farm system".

That day has already come. They started doing Stipends last year.

That day has already come. They started doing Stipends last year.
No they didn't.

They first voted for it, then they voted to delay it.

"Full Cost of Attendance" stipends are fine, but they need to go to *all* scholarship athletes, not just those in revenue sports.

the easiest way to save college basketball is to get rid of the charge rule. :cool:

I find it hard to believe that the NBA is going to fund $30M annually to pay 300 guys of whom maybe 50 will end up being rotation players. Why throw that kind of money down the rathole when there are plenty of others (colleges, foreign leagues) who are willing to bear all the costs of being your developmental territories?

I think there will be some revenue sharing with players eventually, but probably not until the big football playing conferences separate themselves from the NCAA and form a new governing body.

I still maintain that...
any player should be able to go pro out of high school if they're good enough to make an NBA roster.
if a player does sign with a school to play college ball, they have to stay at least 2 years and maintain academic eligibility for the entire two years.
One and done needs to end and that seems painfully obvious to me.

Whitlock talks about race too much for my cup of tea, but he is a good writer and after being the only one to call out Mark Schwarz as an azzclown he earned my respect here is his idea to fix college basketball from his article . Only change I would make is that kids could leave after their Junior year like they can in college baseball.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...tes-can-work-if-you-follow-these-steps-041013

Here’s my project/proposal for Adam Silver, the NCAA and the NBA players association. This proposal is strictly for men’s college basketball. It’s a yearly $60 million proposal that should be split 50-50 between the NBA and the NCAA.
Step 1: Get the NBPA to agree to change the draft eligibility requirements to four years after you graduated from high school or age 22.
Step 2: The NBA starts the NBA Summer Internship Program, which is a one-month program that includes basketball instruction, classes about the NBA, professional athletics and life skills. This program would be paid for by the shoe companies and a TV network that would broadcast a small handful of games from the Summer Internship Program.
Step 3: The NBA and the NCAA — through scouting, recommendations and high school academic achievement — identify the top 100 high school seniors entering college basketball. Enroll those 100 players in the NBA Summer Internship Program that pays them $100,000 each. The players would receive half the money in two checks received at the start of each semester. The other half would be invested conservatively by the NCAA/NBA and given to player upon the completion of his four years of eligibility.
Step 4: The initial 100 class will be trimmed to 75 when they become sophomores. All college basketball sophomores at any level will be eligible to apply for the NBA SIP. The NBA and the NCAA — through scouting, recommendations and academic achievement as a college freshman — will identify the 75 sophomores. They will be ranked 1 to 75 based primarily on their NBA prospects but also on their academic achievement. The top 25 sophomores will be paid $175,000. The next 50 will be paid $125,000. Again, they’ll receive half of their money in two checks at the beginning of each semester. The other half of their money will be invested conservatively by the NCAA/NBA and given to the player upon the completion of his four years of eligibility.
Step 5: The following year the NCAA/NBA will identify 75 juniors using the same criteria. Everything will remain the same except the top 25 juniors will earn $275,000 and the next 50 will get $225,000.
Step 6: The senior class will be trimmed to 50. The top 25 receive $500,000 and the next 25 receive $350,000. Everything else remains the same.
By Year 4 of my system, there are 300 basketball players — 100 freshmen, 75 sophomores and juniors and 50 seniors — enrolled in the NBA SIP. That’s a payroll right around $60 million. It’s a bargain for the NBA and the NCAA. Instead of having unprepared, no-passionate-fans kids tying up space on an NBA roster, NBA owners would get 22-year-old TV stars and superstars entering their league. The NCAA and its television partners would get ratings-driving stars in their sophomore, junior and senior seasons.
College coaches wouldn’t lose their leverage over their best players. They would get kids incentivized to embrace the academic process and coaching because academic achievement and recommendations would play a role in whether a player could enroll in the NBA SIP. A player would be very reluctant to transfer because he wouldn’t be eligible for the NBA SIP during the year he sat out as a transfer. If a player ran into academic trouble and needed summer school, it would prevent him from participating in the NBA SIP.
The kids would benefit because the best players would earn $1 million over four years and half of it would be conservatively invested and given to them as they entered the workforce. They would also benefit from the chance to mature on a college campus.
Obviously, this plan would need to be refined and safeguards would have to be put in place to protect the athlete. I’d make the athletes sign an agreement forbidding them from taking out any loans (or co-signing) during their four years in college. No credit cards, either. You would want a wall to protect them from themselves and predatory lenders.
As for the non-NBA prospects and role players? I say grant any Division I player who doesn’t qualify for the NBA SIP as a junior or senior a fifth year of playing eligibility and one year as a full-time traditional student. That’s right. Six years of school. Many of the athletes arrive on campus academically unprepared. Why not give them two extra years to catch up? And why not give the prepared ones, two years to work on a graduate degree?
As much as I regret not playing football my fifth year at Ball State (and I deeply regret it), the chance to spend one year as a legitimate full-time student has paid off for me tremendously. I worked for the school newspaper and actually made good grades. All of these athletes, particularly at age 22 or 23 when they might appreciate it, deserve one year on campus solely as a student.
Why shouldnt American adults be able to go work or attempt to work in their chosen profession without the restriction of going and serving time in a college for the entertainment of that colleges fans

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I still maintain that...
any player should be able to go pro out of high school if they're good enough to make an NBA roster.
if a player does sign with a school to play college ball, they have to stay at least 2 years and maintain academic eligibility for the entire two years.
One and done needs to end and that seems painfully obvious to me.

I don't like the 2 year requirement . . . they should be free to walk whenever they can find a job

I don't like the 2 year requirement . . . they should be free to walk whenever they can find a job
I firmly believe that if they commit they should really have to commit. If they're not up for being a "student" there are other options (d-leauge, Europe) for them to hone their game until they're NBA-ready.

And 2 years is not that much of a commitment, either

And 2 years is not that much of a commitment, either
why is Mark Zuckerberg allowed to drop out and pursue his professional interests before he completes 2 years, but not Andrew Wiggins?

why is Mark Zuckerberg allowed to drop out and pursue his professional interests before he completes 2 years, but not Andrew Wiggins?
Good question - one I don't have an answer for.
Admittedly, I tend to err on the side of preserving the college game. :noidea:

Why shouldnt American adults be able to go work or attempt to work in their chosen profession without the restriction of going and serving time in a college for the entertainment of that colleges fans

I don't like the one and done rule, but the NBA is a private organization and they can collective bargain with their union whatever procedure they want to enter the league as long as they don't violate anyone's fundamental rights. I don't believe any court would find the ability to play professional basketball to be a fundamental right. By your logic the one year removed from High school rule is illegal, but because it was collectively bargained it is legal. I don't believe Whitlock's idea is ever going to happen, but if the NBA and NBAPA negotiated a deal similar to this nobody could do anything about it. Kids could go play in Europe, or in NBDL if they didn't want to go to college.

Or just make the draft requirements like baseball. You can go pro out of high school but if you go to college you have to stay 3 years. This would easily raise the level of play in college and the surefire 1st rounders don't have to fake like they are going to college.

This. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. And it's already been implemented in another NCAA sport! How hard can this be?

Because (i'm assuming under this scenario) the NBA doesn't want him badly enough to take the rest of the dolts that try to declare early. He can drop out and start up his own version of Facebook or go play in Europe.

I don't think anyone is stopping that.

This. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. And it's already been implemented in another NCAA sport! How hard can this be?
It's literally about free labor to support industry. Hockey and baseball in America; which are predominantly played by middle class white athletes, don't have this restriction where as football and basketball, which are played primarily by poor black athletes, do.

Baseball has anti-trust exemption thus MLB and the MLBPA didn't have negotiate the rule for entering baseball thus MLB controls the procedure and thus they created the Rule 4 draft and procedure for how it would be structured. The MLBPA can't sue MLB because of its anti-trust exemption, and thus has to deal with this rule. If MLBPA wanted to negotiate for a change in the draft it would have be done in negotiations and right now this rule hasn't been touched because most elite talents sign out of high school and don't have to go to college and its not a big enough issue for the MLBPA to fight MLB on. If basketball had an anti-trust exemption like baseball I am sure they would change the rule if they could, but the NCAA has absolutely no control over this stuff. Basically, I learned taking Sports Law the NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in America, and unless you care about the non-revenue sports it does very little for the revenue sports athletes and really extracts as much blood as they can from the revenue sports.

I still don't get the 3 years things. Junior colleges are 2 year insititutions, universities 4 year schools. Why 3?

The real solution is for the NBA to establish a true minor league system and have players that aspire to play professionally, but don't really care to get a degree, go straight to the minors. .

They have..its called the ncaa

I honestly have no problem with the way the system is. Sure the one and done rule can be seen as unfair because of people like Nerlens Noel but it also helps prevent busts because scouts get to see them at the next level. I don't think college athletes should get paid but I think they should be allowed to make money for themselves. What I mean by that if the player wants to sign autographs for money, participate in commercials, or make money off jerseys then so be it. That way you can bypass title 9 and kids that deserve money can get it and the school loses no money.

So the top 75 or 100 kids would get paid while their lesser teammates don't get paid? Good luck avoiding infighting, jealousy and a "let me get mine" mentality. You can't pay some, but not others and expect there not to be major issues.

If kids are going to get paid eventually, they all need to get paid the same amount. Otherwise, it's not fair and it would only lead to bigger issues.