Jay Bilas just said... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas just said...

If we are going to be rational they should have been in the play-in game based on their end of season swoon. The team was better than their play but u can only go on the body of work. Anyway LGO!

I'm not complaining and I'm anything but a naysayer. I felt the team was better then their record all season but they under achieved and played poorly in some games down the stretch that impacted their seeding. They had a good body of work but they lost to PITT 3 times and PITT was a 10. They finished 9-10 with the conference game. They had the ability all season to beat anybody and lose to anybody. Maybe that gives you higher then a 10 seed but def not a 1-6 seed. If you are trying to tell me you saw this coming I am calling liar.

lol, no I'm not saying I saw this coming, just pointing out that the last 6 games is the very exact reason so many have said we didn't belong in the tourney. Fact is, the committee doesn't look at that anymore. And I never said 1-6 seed, I was implying 8-9 as you stated in your first post. I think an 8-9 would have been appropriate, but I'll take the 10 and not argue.

I'm not complaining and I'm anything but a naysayer. I felt the team was better then their record all season but they under achieved and played poorly in some games down the stretch that impacted their seeding. They had a good body of work but they lost to PITT 3 times and PITT was a 10. They finished 9-10 with the conference game. They had the ability all season to beat anybody and lose to anybody. Maybe that gives you higher then a 10 seed but def not a 1-6 seed. If you are trying to tell me you saw this coming I am calling liar.
Whoever said we should have gotten even a 6 seed? I don't think anyone on this board would have, not even Cuse Hulk if he wasn't MIA.

elimunelson said:
If we are going to be rational they should have been in the play-in game based on their end of season swoon. The team was better than their play but u can only go on the body of work. Anyway LGO!

When you lose or win has no bearing on anything.

lol, no I'm not saying I saw this coming, just pointing out that the last 6 games is the very exact reason so many have said we didn't belong in the tourney. Fact is, the committee doesn't look at that anymore. And I never said 1-6 seed, I was implying 8-9 as you stated in your first post. I think an 8-9 would have been appropriate, but I'll take the 10 and not argue.
Sorry...not trying to argue. I hate being the guy to knock Cuse after a big win.

Sorry, but tired of that complaint. It's the same statistic that many naysayers have been using to want to keep us out the tourney. Fact is the committee does not use the Last 10 criteria any more. They use the whole body of work. And our body includes wins over tourney and ranked teams UConn, Duke, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. No other bubble team had that resume and very few 8-9 teams had that resume, including 9 seeded UConn. Also, the St. John's argument fails as well, as #9 Providence lost to 9 win Depaul.

Yup. Blows my mind that Gottlieb keeps harping on the "lost 5 of their last 6!" thing. He's apparently too lazy to even bother learning the criteria the committee uses these days.

Isn't he quoting rap songs? I never listen to it so I don't know. Are the rhymes original or quotes?
He actually writes many of them. I remember I saw a interview with him and Young Jeezy, they are good friends. Bilas just started writing a random rhyme in the mornings and he's been doing it ever since.

You aren't going to find too many pundits picking us vs UNC. Heck, you couldn't find many picking us to beat Dayton. Bilas is just calling it like he sees it. No offense, we just have to keep proving them all wrong.

Whoever said we should have gotten even a 6 seed? I don't think anyone on this board would have, not even Cuse Hulk if he wasn't MIA.

The Huckster would have said we deserved a 1 seed because of our coach and he expects us to win every game. Not sure if that would be before or after drinking tall cold ones at Applebees though.

Jay Bilas treats us more fairly than any other media member and he didn't even go here. Not sure why anyone would be upset at him for that.
Agreed. He's fantastic! Wrong guy to go after.

You're wrong.

go on... you think we should have been higher than a 10 based on the reg season?

because i didnt see a post when the brackets were released from anyone saying that. Anything that happens AFTER selection sunday is null and void for what we were seeded.

go on... you think we should have been higher than a 10 based on the reg season?

because i didnt see a post when the brackets were released from anyone saying that. Anything that happens AFTER selection sunday is null and void for what we were seeded.
I'm saying we were seeded just right, based on our season-long profile compared to other applicable teams. We were not over-seeded.

I'm saying we were seeded just right, based on our season-long profile compared to other applicable teams. We were not over-seeded.

That is why I said "if anything, we were over-seeded" and not "we were overseeded"

I feel like a lot of posters here missed out on the great discussions and studies that existed on this board between the Pitt loss and Selection Sunday. Most here had given up and assumed Lunardi was right and SU was dead.

You and I were one of the few (along with maybe four or five esteemed posters) who were on here that week examining Syracuse's resume and comparing it to the other bubbles and determining that Syracuse was more than worthy of a bid and were very likely to get in. I feel like if those dopes in the media like Lunardi, Gotdweeb and whoever else had read our posts they wouldn't have reacted to our bid the way they did.

(Yes, I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that we're more informed about the very topic they make a living on covering than they are.)

Your post said we did not earn our seed and I said you are wrong.

you are misinterpreting the context - my bad if not clear enough. When I said "if anything" I meant if I had to choose with a gun to my head 1 way, overseeded or underseeded - I think it is safe to say we are all going overseeded. Just look at the posts from selection sunday. We were all very happy with the 10 seed. I didnt see a single complaint.

And the "if anything" means that i dont have a strong opinion on it. There may not be a change based on the "if anything" but if there is a change - we would have been an 11 seed or worse.

"Seeding is earned and if anything we were over seeded based on what we earned."

you are misinterpreting the context - my bad if not clear enough. When I said "if anything" I meant if I had to choose with a gun to my head 1 way, overseeded or underseeded - I think it is safe to say we are all going overseeded. Just look at the posts from selection sunday. We were all very happy with the 10 seed. I didnt see a single complaint.

And the "if anything" means that i dont have a strong opinion on it. There may not be a change based on the "if anything" but if there is a change - we would have been an 11 seed or worse.

"Seeding is earned and if anything we were over seeded based on what we earned."
ok, semantics I suppose. LGO!!!

Jay Bilas is arguably one of the very top basketball minds today. That combined with his intelligence, logical thinking and the ability to very clearly express himself, is the reason many of us would like to see him as the head of the NCAA or whatever group comes after they fail.

Jay Bilas is arguably one of the very top basketball minds today. That combined with his intelligence, logical thinking and the ability to very clearly express himself, is the reason many of us would like to see him as the head of the NCAA or whatever group comes after they fail.

BILAS FOR PRESIDENT.

(Of the NCAA, or the USA - either would be better than what we've got now.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom