Jay Bilas loves him some JB | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas loves him some JB

Jay is the best. I assume he will be calling ACC games after all this realignment. Hope I'm right.

was it bilas that brought up that outside of one shot and one of the best teams of all time, a freak injury and the stupid Melo thing last year, JB could have 3-5 NCs and be arguably the best ever?

was it bilas that brought up that outside of one shot and one of the best teams of all time, a freak injury and the stupid Melo thing last year, JB could have 3-5 NCs and be arguably the best ever?

3-5 NC's??

Hell, make it 7!!

No that was Igor. If JB didn't play zone and had not Boeheimed the likes of Matt Gorman and Ethan Cole, I believe he said we were a lock for 5 NC's in a 7 year period.

My guess would be Dougie G

Ah ok, didnt want to assume. To be honest I'm a little surprised Jay would sink to Gottlieb's level with the back and forth talk, he must have a ton of respect for JB. I'll take it either way, He and Bob Knight are the only 2 people in sports talk that I take seriously when it comes to college bball.

No that was Igor. If JB didn't play zone and had not Boeheimed the likes of Matt Gorman and Ethan Cole, I believe he said we were a lock for 5 NC's in a 7 year period.
I recall him claiming that SU should be able to win 7 of the next 15

If it was, then that's a rare display of irrationality by Bilas. You can literally make the same argument about any coach in sports that if XYZ happened they would have more titles.

I hope not (and it'd be surprising). Bilas is too reasonable and intelligent to stoop to what-if history.

I recall him claiming that SU should be able to win 7 of the next 15

LOL, I guess we could both be right, although its hard to believe a non-zone Boeheim team could possibly go on such a drought (only two NCs in the second 8 year period)...

If it was, then that's a rare display of irrationality by Bilas. You can literally make the same argument about any coach in sports that if XYZ happened they would have more titles.

I like the one shot contrast between Knight and Boeheim ie. that one Keith Smart shot is essentially the difference in their respective records. That provides perspective at how little difference there may really be between one guy and the next and how much of one's reputation versus another may ride on some very fine lines.

Anything beyond that doesn't work for me. We weren't one shot or even one game from winning in 2010 or 2012 and while the injury and suspension certainly dealt a severe blow to our chances it is a huge stretch to say we have another NC but for those events. With AO and Fab in the lineup we still may have lost the games to Butler and Ohio State.

Okay, GO!!!! :)

Tommy Amaker:

Brian Ellerbe:

Bob Wade:

Any head coach of the Chargers prior to Marty Schottenheimer and after Bobby Ross:

I like the one shot contrast between Knight and Boeheim ie. that one Keith Smart shot is essentially the difference in their respective records. That provides perspective at how little difference there may really be between one guy and the next and how much of one's reputation versus another may ride on some very fine lines.

Anything beyond that doesn't work for me. We weren't one shot or even one game from winning in 2010 or 2012 and while the injury and suspension certainly dealt a severe blow to our chances it is a huge stretch to say we have another NC but for those events. With AO and Fab in the lineup we still may have lost the games to Butler and Ohio State.

It is absolutely NOT a huge stretch to say that about the 2010 team. We were the best team in nation by far. Thats not homerism. There were plenty of stats to support that claim. No one can tell me that team doesnt win the national championship with AO. Ill believe that til the day I die

It is absolutely NOT a huge stretch to say that about the 2010 team. We were the best team in nation by far. Thats not homerism. There were plenty of stats to support that claim. No one can tell me that team doesnt win the national championship with AO. Ill believe that til the day I die

Yes, it is. Did we have a good chance? Yes. Nothing is guaranteed in the tournament until you are physically cutting down the nets.

Yes, it is. Did we have a good chance? Yes. Nothing is guaranteed in the tournament until you are physically cutting down the nets.

Its not a huge stretch to suggest we could have won that tournament. Is it 100%? No. That season i was like Marsh on steroids (F Storz) when it came to watching college hoops. We were the best team in the country and its not a huge stretch to say the best team has a good chance to win the title.

Its not a huge stretch to suggest we could have won that tournament. Is it 100%? No. That season i was like Marsh on steroids (F Storz) when it came to watching college hoops. We were the best team in the country and its not a huge stretch to say the best team has a good chance to win the title.

Nobody argues that we could have won the tournament, or even that we would have been a favorite, but the favorite doesn't win often enough to say we would have another championship had AO not been hurt.

I don't know if they would have won the tournament - that is always a crap shoot - but I do know that they were the best team in the nation. On the eve of the tourney, Coach K - the man who knows more about winning in the modern era than anyone, and the guy who eventually took it that year - said SU was clearly the best team in the nation.

I will say this - when JB retires, someone should at least talk to Bilas about the job. Nothing against Hop (although that would be a kick to his Chronicles, First and Second).

Heck, if nothing else, we'd have another JB as head coach.

Were there really a lot of stats that said we were, by far, the best team in the nation? I can buy an argument that we were the best team in the country, but I could also buy an argument that a few other teams were. Unquestioned best team in the country seems like a stretch.

Were there really a lot of stats that said we were, by far, the best team in the nation? I can buy an argument that we were the best team in the country, but I could also buy an argument that a few other teams were. Unquestioned best team in the country seems like a stretch.

If AO was truly healthy in 2010, I would have said we were the clear favorite to take it all. The problem was everyone knew AO's quad was a time bomb waiting to go off. It was just a matter of when.

Were there really a lot of stats that said we were, by far, the best team in the nation? I can buy an argument that we were the best team in the country, but I could also buy an argument that a few other teams were. Unquestioned best team in the country seems like a stretch.[./quote]

I don't have the time to look it up but i know were among the leaders in assists, fg %, and steals. Im sure there were others but those I'm sure of. Plus just think of the 7 guys in the rotation: AO, Ricky, Wes, Andy, Triche, Scoop, KJo. Those are all dynamic college basketball players no matter what stage in their development they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom