Jay Wright Interview | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright Interview

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Interesting interview with Jay Wright on one of the local sports radio shows here in Philly. How can you not like this guy? He seems like such a genuinely great guy!

Talks about his recruiting philosophy.

Talks about how important it is for him seeing his players graduate and go on to play professionally or into the business world.

Hopes he won't listen when the NBA comes calling.

Says...In College you never get to coach where you live. You never get to coach where you grew up. To be able to do that here in Philadelphia is a dream.

Interview is here

Last edited:
The funny thing is, there were Nova fans calling up Francessa before the tournament calling for him to be fired if they lost early in the tournament.

The funny thing is, there were Nova fans calling up Francessa before the tournament calling for him to be fired if they lost early in the tournament.
It is hard to believe some fans. "If we don't win the championship, fire the coach!". Which is funny when one considers that there are around 350 teams in Division I hoops.

Firing bad coaches is a good idea. Firing a guy who has resurrected a once proud team doesn't quite reach the " good idea" level.

What I will always love about Jay Wright is during Gerrys senior year, he "allowed," his kids to wear McNamara Cuse jerseys to the Nova/Cuse game in Philly. That's just cool, and tells a lot about his values.

What I will always love about Jay Wright is during Gerrys senior year, he "allowed," his kids to wear McNamara Cuse jerseys to the Nova/Cuse game in Philly. That's just cool, and tells a lot about his values.
He just won the national championship with a point guard a lot like G-Mac.

I remember back in the 08-09 season (Nova FF season, Cuse Sweet Sixteen season) Nova came to the dome for a Sunday afternoon game that was very important for both teams. Devendorf (I think) went down with an ankle injury, but Nova had the ball and had a 5 on 4 advantage since Eric was down on the other end of the court. I remember Jay Wright took a time out and didn't try and score which allowed us to tend to the injured player. It was a very classy move and I have liked him ever since.

Interesting interview with Jay Wright on one of the local sports radio shows here in Philly. How can you not like this guy? He seems like such a genuinely great guy!

Talks about his recruiting philosophy.

Talks about how important it is for him seeing his players graduate and go on to play professionally or into the business world.

Hopes he won't listen when the NBA comes calling.

Says...In College you never get to coach where you live. You never get to coach where you grew up. To be able to do that here in Philadelphia is a dream.

Interview is here

It's too bad the Villanova fan base doesn't have as much class as Jay Wright.

It is hard to believe some fans. "If we don't win the championship, fire the coach!". Which is funny when one considers that there are around 350 teams in Division I hoops.

Firing bad coaches is a good idea. Firing a guy who has resurrected a once proud team doesn't quite reach the " good idea" level.

Some of our fans haven't been much different. Wasn't there a long thread just last month proposing that JB was in a downward obsolescent slide like Beamer and Mack Brown ? All coaches will have critics with some fans who think they know better and have an opinion on who would do better. Probably why so many coaches aren't fans of message boards. :p Fans have a tough time settling being good without becoming better and eventually the best regardless of the odds.

QUOTED FROM ABOVE:

Some of our fans haven't been much different. Sad but true.

Wasn't there a long thread just last month proposing that JB was in a downward obsolescent slide like Beamer and Mack Brown ? You are correct, to our shame (not mine, personally, but this blog's as a whole). We should forget that episode in Syracusefan.com, if only for the sake of moving forward.

All coaches will have critics with some fans who think they know better and have an opinion on who would do better. Are you saying I don't know better than JB? :D I guess I just proved your point. We fans are not with the kids daily in practice, in travel, and in game. We do not know the actual team dynamics and though we may understand principles and fundamentals, without knowing the full dynamics, we could not manage any better and most likely would do far worse than the coach of any team, let alone our esteemed coach.

Probably why so many coaches aren't fans of message boards. :p Bulls eye.

Fans have a tough time settling being good without becoming better and eventually the best regardless of the odds. You summed it up better than I could have. As great a fan site as this board is, and as great a job as our moderators and staff do, they can only be as good as the posters (us). JB knows how to win but he has player limitations.

When all else fails, Orange fans should stop blaming JB and thank God we are not Rutgers or Georgetown.

QUOTED FROM ABOVE:

Some of our fans haven't been much different. Sad but true.

Wasn't there a long thread just last month proposing that JB was in a downward obsolescent slide like Beamer and Mack Brown ? You are correct, to our shame (not mine, personally, but this blog's as a whole). We should forget that episode in Syracusefan.com, if only for the sake of moving forward.

All coaches will have critics with some fans who think they know better and have an opinion on who would do better. Are you saying I don't know better than JB? :D I guess I just proved your point. We fans are not with the kids daily in practice, in travel, and in game. We do not know the actual team dynamics and though we may understand principles and fundamentals, without knowing the full dynamics, we could not manage any better and most likely would do far worse than the coach of any team, let alone our esteemed coach.

Probably why so many coaches aren't fans of message boards. :p Bulls eye.

Fans have a tough time settling being good without becoming better and eventually the best regardless of the odds. You summed it up better than I could have. As great a fan site as this board is, and as great a job as our moderators and staff do, they can only be as good as the posters (us). JB knows how to win but he has player limitations.

When all else fails, Orange fans should stop blaming JB and thank God we are not Rutgers or Georgetown.

That said, of course we wouldn't have this great board without opinions. It's just realizing that all they are- is "opinions". The only people who can prove their theories are those coaches who actually put their livelihoods and their family's on the line attempting to execute them with 18-23 year old "kids" - whether SU, Villanova etc. We fans have it pretty easy and SU fans have always proven more than worthy doing their part in the end with their support.

That said, of course we wouldn't have this great board without opinions. It's just realizing that all they are- is "opinions". The only people who can prove their theories are those coaches who actually put their livelihoods and their family's on the line attempting to execute them with 18-23 year old "kids" - whether SU, Villanova etc. We fans have it pretty easy and SU fans have always proven more than worthy doing their part in the end with their support.[/QUOT

Well put.

I give him credit for adjusting the way his team defended. During the Reynolds years they were a better spoken PITT - grab, clutch and basically dare the refs to call fouls every play. When the game changed and stripes actually started calling that he was able to adjust without losing their aggressiveness.

Some of our fans haven't been much different. Wasn't there a long thread just last month proposing that JB was in a downward obsolescent slide like Beamer and Mack Brown ? All coaches will have critics with some fans who think they know better and have an opinion on who would do better. Probably why so many coaches aren't fans of message boards. :p Fans have a tough time settling being good without becoming better and eventually the best regardless of the odds.
a lot of those same fans at that time suggested that cooney would be more effective by shooting fewer threes while playing fewer minutes

a lot of those same fans at that time suggested that cooney would be more effective by shooting fewer threes while playing fewer minutes

Agree with part of it- less 3's. Didn't see many calls on here for him to drive more though. In fact, just the opposite, many here just wanted him to sit. For anyone who suggested he should drive more, seems like it was a good call. His minutes didn't really change either but the time between games did. Personally I think the rest between games was more beneficial for him. After the regular season, before the ACC tournament there was a 6 day rest and better yet was the rest between the ACC tournament and NCAA's of 9 days. Just my opinion, but I think he was dealing with injuries - back, leg, hip or something. He couldn't elevate and to me wasn't even walking right during the second half of the season. Again just my opinion, not proven fact.

Cooney played the same average number of minutes during the NCAA's. His lowest game minutes being 35 , highest 39 through the 5 games. In the NCAA's he took 12 more shots from within the arc than from 3 - that was a big difference. I was surprised to see he shot less this year overall than he did his junior year. So time played, didn't change but time between games did. Shots didn't really change (11.6 vs 12.6) but the ratio of 2's to 3's sure did. We also saw DC's minutes increase with Lydon on the wing in the NCAA's - bigger and better screens, better spacing with possible 3 point shooters on both wings (Lydon, Richardson) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom