JB’s Presser after Cornell | Syracusefan.com

JB’s Presser after Cornell

Probably an injury he could play with but saves face for Jalen getting pushed out of the program.

Those 2 games were brutal and I don't need to see any more. He better give Goodine some legit minutes vs Bucknell and let him play through whatever struggles.

Video got BANNED! :( False start, 5 yard penalty on the OP! ;)

Goodine has been freshmen funk the past couple.

He may get a longer leash than usual this year. I mean, more rope. I mean, more patience.

I just can’t see Jalen coming back next year. I’m not rooting for him to leave, but the addition of Richmond is going to make for a crowded backcourt.

Goodine has been freshmen funk the past couple.

He may get a longer leash than usual this year. I mean, more rope. I mean, more patience.

I think like Quincy, he just needs to find himself a little. Tonight he got the turnover bug which hasn't been an issue up to this point. He plays good defense when he is out there which is going to provide him the opportunity and the longer leash. Bucknell is a very poor defensive team. Could mean a good chance for Brycen. Also Bucknell is nearly completely reliant on the 3 ball. So much they have had a couple games where they hit 15 I believe but then that is all they can do really to score.

I just can’t see Jalen coming back next year. I’m not rooting for him to leave, but the addition of Richmond is going to make for a crowded backcourt.

Wow, now I am starting to be able to guess what it might feel like to be a Kentucy or Duke fan. Thanks for inspiring me after that brutal game.

Wow, now I am starting to be able to guess what it might feel like to be a Kentucy or Duke fan. Thanks for inspiring me after that brutal game.

You’re welcome. When I figure out what is bothering you, I’ll get back to you.

You’re welcome. When I figure out what is bothering you, I’ll get back to you.

I won't leave you in suspense. It was the majority of tonight's game, vs a team with a 291 RPI. That and the presser being banned. That and the game thread are the 2 things I most come here for.

(EDIT: I'd like to add recruiting to the list, the IJ wounds are still fresh and tender...it's part of what inspired my joke, as people were saying how it would be "crowded" for IJ at UK).

I think like Quincy, he just needs to find himself a little. Tonight he got the turnover bug which hasn't been an issue up to this point. He plays good defense when he is out there which is going to provide him the opportunity and the longer leash. Bucknell is a very poor defensive team. Could mean a good chance for Brycen. Also Bucknell is nearly completely reliant on the 3 ball. So much they have had a couple games where they hit 15 I believe but then that is all they can do really to score.

Goodine had the 1 turnover.

Here's a couple of shortys. I'll post the full version when available.

Thanks for this. For someone not wanting to read a 40 page thread hoping someone in it might actually know what happened, all the talk of this by the announcers may not have reflected well on the university to some people viewing. Heck, it might not reflect well with recruits who are casually thinking about various schools, because they might think it was something far more serious than it actually was.

JB actually did well when he said you can't always give everybody everything they want. Nice to see him be able to say something less than popular with many, while still being poltically savvy enough to verbally support the popular opinion. I respect his wisdom for that.

I won't leave you in suspense. It was the majority of tonight's game, vs a team with a 291 RPI. That and the presser being banned. That and the game thread are the 2 things I most come here for.

(EDIT: I'd like to add recruiting to the list, the IJ wounds are still fresh and tender...it's part of what inspired my joke, as people were saying how it would be "crowded" for IJ at UK).

I understand your disappointment and concern. I’ve become frustrated myself, but I’m also a realist. The program isn’t what it was not long ago. Whether it’s the lingering effects of sanctions. an aging coach, the loss of Hopkins or playing in the ACC, SU basketball is in a down period. IJ was never coming here. SU doesn’t land players of his ability anymore. I also wouldn’t sweat this year. This team is going to go through some growing pains. Our best hope is that this group sticks around. With the addition of a few quality players, JB could close out with a pretty good team in a few years.

I understand your disappointment and concern. I’ve become frustrated myself, but I’m also a realist. The program isn’t what it was not long ago. Whether it’s the lingering effects of sanctions. an aging coach, the loss of Hopkins or playing in the ACC, SU basketball is in a down period. IJ was never coming here. SU doesn’t land players of his ability anymore. I also wouldn’t sweat this year. This team is going to go through some growing pains. Our best hope is that this group sticks around. With the addition of a few quality players, JB could close out with a pretty good team in a few years.

Thanks, although I want to qualify that my "like/tee" doesn't mean I agreed with the IJ thing. That TT-level thread had me believing it truly was possible. Your post has me thinking that the "Glory Days" song that I read on here they played when JB walked on the court may really be the case(that his best days are long behind him, and the current state is one of great lament).

I guess in psychology they talk about things like "radical acceptance", and maybe it would be healthier for my emotions if I can manage to do that. I really wanted the old bugger to get one more NC before he rode off into the sunset, to change the media narrative about him a bit. I sincerely do appreciate your post though, but still hold out some hope that some switches will get flipped on and we all get pleasantly surprised sooner than later. I guess hope can be a double edged sword.

The comment at the end was interesting. The reference to Edwards wanting to play on the outside would seem to be a reference to the article I quoted to Jim on last night's show. he seemed to have a different attitude on "playing outside" then. Also, maybe Braswell's legs aren't so bad after all.

To review:

"Coach, in a preseason interview, Jesse Edwards said “Most players in Europe grow up playing out of position. In America, if you are big, you are a center, where you just stand under the basket and grab rebounds. “So I grew up doing a whole lot of different stuff, you know? I’m used to playing a lot of different positions, doing more than just grabbing rebounds. I think that’s what the coaches liked about me. I don’t have really one thing – I’m mostly just an all-around player.”

John Bol Ajak gave an interview when he was recruited saying “My job is to do a little bit of everything on the floor. It’s new basketball style of play and Coach Seth(Berger) has allowed me to be myself and play the game the way I’m supposed to. I’m 6-11 and I can shoot the ball, put the ball on the deck and be able to shoot the three.” He compared his game to that of Draymond Green, “a big man who can stretch the floor. I started on the inside and now I’m on the outside. I can pass the ball and use my IQ to get some back door plays.”

Is the center position being re-defined from the guy who defended the paint to a more all-around player? Or do you want these guys to be more traditional centers?

I called in and suggested that during the long cold winter a hot – or at least a warm - seat could be a good thing. That got a laugh, as did John Bol Ajak seeing himself a potential Draymond green. “That’s quite a player”. Jim doesn’t mind players having such ambitions but “he’s 100 million miles away from that. John is not ready to shoot it in college. He only averaged about 12 points a game in high school. He and Jesse need to get stronger. Everybody needs to get better. John is about 210 and has trouble finishing around the basket. He can pass it. He and Jesse have tremendous potential. We don’t want anyone to stand anywhere. On defense you have to defend the basket. On offense we have our big men play high.” Matt mentioned that we had a football player who described himself as a combination of Ray Lewis and Cam Chancellor. “He’s no longer here.” I wonder who that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom