JB and Hop's involvement with Team USA | Syracusefan.com

JB and Hop's involvement with Team USA

Arangeman

All Conference
Dasher raised an interesting point about Hop being away with USA basketball and not 100% focused on his actual job this summer. Both he and JB were paid a lot of money to work for someone else and it could be argued the program took a hit.

I expected the involvement with Team USA to bring positives that justified the time away. New wrinkles in the offense or defense, new strategies and concepts, and make SU more enticing to recruits. And maybe that has happened, feel free to point things out. For example, I think Coach K has implemented a more effective zone from working with JB. What did we take from K? Or from working with the world's best? JB recently said he's run practice the same way for 41 years. Did anything translate?

It was good exposure for the program but particularly this summer, with recruiting in flux and trying to get a team to gel, did it hurt us having them away?

Last edited:
Team USA didn't pay them one cent.
SU was paying them but they didn't have to do anything for Syracuse but recruit and we know GMac was doing his job last summer.
The coaches were helping team USA on their time off.

Team USA didn't pay them one cent.
SU was paying them but they didn't have to do anything for Syracuse but recruit and we know GMac was doing his job last summer.
The coaches were helping team USA on their time off.
That is the thing. It wasn't their time off. It was prime recruiting time for us. And they weren't here.

K's involvement didn't seem to hurt Duke - did he bring his assistants? The Olympic experience did not benefit this program at all.

Duke wasn't under the same restrictions in regards to the number of recruiters allowed on the road during the same time period.

And I doubt we could quantify one way or another if the olympic experience helped or not. I think it landed us G so that was good.

Duke wasn't under the same restrictions in regards to the number of recruiters allowed on the road during the same time period.
That's the point. If we could only have 2 coaches on the road, then it needs to be our top 2. Not a rookie who's trying to build his resume.

One could say coaching team usa could be used as a recruiting tool.

It wasn't a once in a lifetime opportunity. Both guys had done it before.

It wasn't a once in a lifetime opportunity. Both guys had done it before.

OK, a twice in a lifetime opportunity then. Happy now?

Should Michael Phelps have blown off the last Olympics because he'd already been there before? :rolleyes:
Winning an Olympic Gold Medal is a really big frigging deal.
Even if you already have one. Or several. Or several dozen.

Why do you think Melo played in the Olympics again?
It matters.
(and in his case, it's his only chance these days to play with other talented players, under a good coach, and actually be able to have a chance to win something for a change)

And I doubt we could quantify one way or another if the olympic experience helped or not. I think it landed us G so that was good.

I think that's probably why Hop went, we were stuck with 2 on the road anyway. Trying to think from JBs mind, why not bring Hop so he can use that as a selling point for when he takes over.

Have no problem with Hop being on the team USA staff.

I doubt it hurt us in recruiting. It's a little disappointing that JB seemed to evolve less than K during the process. But is that really surprising?

OK, a twice in a lifetime opportunity then. Happy now?

Should Michael Phelps have blown off the last Olympics because he'd already been there before? :rolleyes:
Winning an Olympic Gold Medal is a really big frigging deal.
Even if you already have one. Or several. Or several dozen.

Why do you think Melo played in the Olympics again?
It matters.
(and in his case, it's his only chance these days to play with other talented players, under a good coach, and actually be able to have a chance to win something for a change)

Apples and oranges, you can't compare Phelps to a basketball player or coach, Phelps life revolves around the olympics.

Dasher raised an interesting point about Hop being away with USA basketball and not 100% focused on his actual job this summer. Both he and JB were paid a lot of money to work for someone else and it could be argued the program took a hit.

I expected the involvement with Team USA to bring positives that justified the time away. New wrinkles in the offense or defense, new strategies and concepts, and make SU more enticing to recruits. And maybe that has happened, feel free to point things out. For example, I think Coach K has implemented a more effective zone from working with JB. What did we take from K? Or from working with the world's best? JB recently said he's run practice the same way for 41 years. Did anything translate?

It was good exposure for the program but particularly this summer, with recruiting in flux and trying to get a team to gel, did it hurt us having them away?

did they get paid by Team USA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom